Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for 2021???


Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

226 members have voted

  1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
      0
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
      0
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I've always thought something like this should happen every year. This year we have 2 third round picks. Trade one of them for next years 2nd. Then in 2022 we will have 2 second rounders, trade one of them for a 2023 1st. Then trade one of your 2023 firsts for a 2024 1st ,and 2023 2nd., etc.etc.etc. Then you can have an almost infinitesimal amount of draft capital to spend when "that guy" shows up without every having given anything for it.

You have to find a trade partner.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Coaching staff and solid front office was the most common.

 

Come on man.  Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger...versus only the Ravens on your side of the point.

 

And to bring it all home, you need an incredible roster to win the SB with a QB deficit....Imagine trying to fit Monk, Clark, Sanders, Bynes, Riggs, Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby, Grimm, Mann, Stokes, Williams, Johnson, Gathers, Coleman, Millen, Gouveia, Marshall, Green, Mayhew, and Copeland, Edwards under a salary cap in the free agent era.

 

And 91 Ryp wasn't even a deficit!

 

Edited by 86 Snyder
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 86 Snyder said:

 

Come on man.  Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger...versus only the Ravens on your side of the point.

 

And to bring it all home, you need an incredible roster to win the SB with a QB deficit....Imagine trying to fit Monk, Clark, Sanders, Bynes, Riggs, Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby, Grimm, Mann, Stokes, Williams, Johnson, Gathers, Coleman, Millen, Gouveia, Marshall, Green, Mayhew, and Copeland, Edwards under a salary cap in the free agent era.

Brady was a 6th rounder who barely made the team as a rookie.  If it weren't for coaches, he would have been relegated to history's dustbin.  They also rebuilt the team several times during his tenure.  Roethlisberger?  His first SB came after one of the worst seasons for a SB winner. Wilson, he has only been a small part of the franchise success over those years and may be part of the problem that the team has been less than it could be. Rodgers sat on the bench for multiple years and was the QB for several of those losing years.  Peyton is the only one.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Darth Tater said:

Brady was a 6th rounder who barely made the team as a rookie.  If it weren't for coaches, he would have been relegated to history's dustbin.  They also rebuilt the team several times during his tenure.  Roethlisberger?  His first SB came after one of the worst seasons for a SB winner. Wilson, he has only been a small part of the franchise success over those years and may be part of the problem that the team has been less than it could be. Rodgers sat on the bench for multiple years and was the QB for several of those losing years.  Peyton is the only one.

 

Lol really?  So they're not all Hall of Farmers?   Really? This is what take lock looks like.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


Nothing about our success in that era really matters or applies today because it was pre-salary cap. The rosters you could build and maintain, with or without a HOF QB talent, were ridiculous.

You are correct but it was what is was with your info being part of the deal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Five people knowledgeable about the NFL — former Washington quarterback Joe Theismann, former NFL executive Randy Mueller, draft analyst Dane Brugler of the Athletic and salary cap analysts Brad Spielberger (Pro Football Focus) and Jason Fitzgerald (Over the Cap) — weighed in on how Washington could optimize a less-than-ideal situation.

 

 

...Fitzgerald projects it will probably cost a mid-round pick to acquire a player such as Darnold, if he’s even made available. Theismann is adamant the team must conserve its draft capital because the offense has other positional needs, and he said he would be hesitant to trade for someone he’s not sure is better than what the team already has, including Darnold. The former third overall pick is entering the fourth and final year of his rookie contract, but any team that trades for him would have the option of picking up his fifth-year option.

 

Theismann said he thinks Mariota would be a good option because he wouldn’t cost as much — perhaps a third- or fourth-round pick — and has an expiring contract. He sees parallels between Mariota and Ryan Tannehill, the former Dolphins first-round pick who failed to live up to expectations in Miami. But in 2019, Tannehill joined Tennessee, complemented a good running game and solid defense (after taking over for a benched Mariota) and put the Titans a game away from the Super Bowl. Theismann believes Mariota and Washington could form a similar match.

 

Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner was Bridgewater’s positional coach in Minnesota, and new executive vice president of football/player personnel Marty Hurney liked Bridgewater enough to give him a three-year, $63 million contract in Carolina last year. But Fitzgerald doesn’t think the Panthers will part with him until they know they have a replacement, via trade or the draft.

“If you’re waiting until Carolina picks somebody in the draft, that’s a long time to wait to find a starting quarterback for your team,” Fitzgerald said.

 

...Washington would be taking a big risk by waiting until the draft. Not only is there an incomplete season of game film with which to evaluate prospects, Brugler believes as many as a dozen teams could go into the draft looking for a quarterback and create a frenzy in the top 10.

“They're going to have a big decision to make,” Brugler said. “Do they sit at 19 and hope [Alabama’s] Mac Jones falls to them? Or do they be aggressive and go get their guy?”

 

Even if the team pushes hard, it’s unlikely it has the capital to move into position for Brigham Young’s Zach Wilson or Ohio State’s Justin Fields. (Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence is widely expected to be the first overall pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.) Brugler believes it’s possible Washington could trade up to No. 7 or 8, which would put it in range for Trey Lance, but he acknowledged the North Dakota State redshirt sophomore is an “unprecedented evaluation.” He has elite traits but little experience against tough competition (all 17 career games came against Football Championship Series opponents).

 

Mueller agrees. “As a GM, I’d have a hard time with that one,” he said, adding that each of the top quarterbacks has at least one drawback. He views Wilson as a more complete quarterback because of his ability to quickly process information and make all the necessary throws. “He’s proved himself,” Mueller said. “You don’t have to project him into a different role.”

 
 

In the draft process, Alabama’s Jones has an advantage over Lance. Jones competed in the SEC and attended the Senior Bowl, two proving grounds Lance did not have. But Brugler also noted Lance loves to go deep and, if refined, would be a natural fit in Washington’s offense. And Jones, Mueller added, “had the best talent around him that anybody’s ever had,” so his evaluation requires context.

If Washington misses on the top prospects, it could look to draft one in the middle rounds, as it did with fourth-rounder Kirk Cousins in 2012. Brugler noted Stanford’s Davis Mills is a high-upside prospect who should be available between the third and fifth rounds.

 

Stick with what they have

 

Washington needs and wants an upgrade at quarterback, so while keeping the room status quo is not out of the realm of possibility for 2021, it would be the least appealing option. Or as Spielberger put it more bluntly: “It would be a waste of this roster.”

 

....Theismann, however, believes Heinicke could be a viable option.

 

“Obviously, it was monumental what [Smith] did last year, but Taylor can do things he can’t do,” he said. “He can put the ball downfield and make plays with his feet.”

 
Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The options are slim and unappealing.

 

Everything would cost too much for guys who might not even beat out the QB's we already have.  Nobody on the trading block is close to reliable or developed (Darnold, Mariota), the one QB we might be able to trade up for probably needs to sit and develop for a year (Lance), the other one that might fall in our laps (Jones) is impossible to separate his ability with the utterly dominant supporting cast...I mean, the last time a WR won Heisman before Smith was 29 years ago.  The Free Agents are either really old (Fitzpatrick) or already looking washed up (Dalton, Newton), or a bust (Trubisky).

 

We've reportedly inquired about Carr and Watson.  We know we had a competitive offer for Stafford.  Rumor has it we haven't called teams about trading for Mariota or Darnold, and we know we didn't call about Wentz.  This Front Office is looking for an already developed and competent QB.  That eliminates Trubisky in free agency, and leaves only Fitzpatrick.

 

QB situation doesn't look fixable this off-season unless our in-house options suddenly get better.  At this point, it is what it is, and 2021 is going to be about roster development and setting us up for a better situation to land a QB in 2022.  That is, unless in-house options suddenly get better, but we all know the probability of that.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jericho said:

 

The price is already falling. Give it a few weeks and it'll be a third

Before long he’ll be released.

 

My offer still stands, NYJ. I speak on behalf of the WFT. I say that with confidence.

 

Let’s get it done...

 

(swap firsts + we get Darnold)

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Before long he’ll be released.

 

My offer still stands, NYJ. I speak on behalf of the WFT. I say that with confidence.

 

Let’s get it done...

 

(swap firsts + we get Darnold)

 

You really want Darnold.   When he said he's seeing ghost it tell me something.  He's got the Patrick Ramsey syndrome.  He's been hit too many times.  Can he recover.  Hard to say.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RWJ said:

You really want Darnold.   When he said he's seeing ghost it tell me something.  He's got the Patrick Ramsey syndrome.  He's been hit too many times.  Can he recover.  Hard to say.  

My offer should be extremely intriguing.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

 

I don't believe he plays another down with the WFT.  Love Alex but it's time.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

My offer should be extremely intriguing.

The hits, like Patrick Ramsey too.  He was never the same.  Don't you think that has affected him?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I don't believe he plays another down with the WFT.  Love Alex but it's time.

 

 

Yeah, he's set to make almost $25 million this season and there's an out now where we only have $10 million in dead cap for cutting him. He can't stay healthy and, outside of a few plays here and there, he was pretty dreadful when he was under center. 

Edited by mistertim
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The hits, like Patrick Ramsey too.  He was never the same.  Don't you think that has affected him?


I think the trade offer KDawg proposed takes that into consideration, personally. I’m one of the biggest Darnold haters here and I’d endorse it. Hell I’d start a petition to get the Jets on board and personally finance some billboards. 


 

 

Sidenote: you’re back off the Darnold train then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


I think the trade offer KDawg proposed takes that into consideration, personally. I’m one of the biggest Darnold haters here and I’d endorse it. Hell I’d start a petition to get the Jets on board and personally finance some billboards. 


 

 

Sidenote: you’re back off the Darnold train then? 

Yes.

Just now, RWJ said:

Yes.

I'd rather have Mariota or Minshew even.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:


I think the trade offer KDawg proposed takes that into consideration, personally. I’m one of the biggest Darnold haters here and I’d endorse it. Hell I’d start a petition to get the Jets on board and personally finance some billboards. 


 

 

Sidenote: you’re back off the Darnold train then? 

I think my offer is extremely fair.

 

Swapping firsts with NYJ is the only fair way to compensate for acquiring Darnold in my eyes.

 

On a side note... @RWJ you don’t work for the Jets do you? If so, can you see this trade through? It would be huge for us.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think my offer is extremely fair.

 

Swapping firsts with NYJ is the only fair way to compensate for acquiring Darnold in my eyes.

 

On a side note... @RWJ you don’t work for the Jets do you? If so, can you see this trade through? It would be huge for us.

Yes, we be ripping them off.  No way there are going to trade a #2 overall and Darnold for our #19 overall.  You having us take on his salary as part of the deal to make it fair, correct?

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think my offer is extremely fair.

 

Swapping firsts with NYJ is the only fair way to compensate for acquiring Darnold in my eyes.

 

On a side note... @RWJ you don’t work for the Jets do you? If so, can you see this trade through? It would be huge for us.

Reread my response.  I had to reword it.

Edited by RWJ
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Yes, we be ripping them off.  No way there are going to trade a #2 overall and Darnold for our #19 overall.  You having us take on his salary as part of the deal to make it fair, correct?

It’s a fair deal already.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...