Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team vs Baltimore Football Team

TK

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

This take makes me laugh as if people forgot who Alex Smith is. Alex’s entire career is made off of games like what Haskins had today. Low risk throws and nothing downfield. 

But he wins those games because he's accurate, he puts players in position to win games, and he doesn't make mistakes.  You don't get to his winning percentage by being bad. He has a .574 winning percentage, which is pretty good.   

He is who he is, he's not Drew Brees or Tom Brady.  But he's a competent NFL QB.  He's certainly a damn slight better than Haskins, IF he is healthy, can move and can play.  Those are big if's though.  

32 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We have given up 30 points or more in 6 of our last 7 games. Im getting really annoyed with this underachieving defense. 

there's little reason to compare this year's D to last year's.  We have a different base D, philosophy, change in LBs and DBs

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

There is more to life than football. I’d rather Ron concentrate on his health than agonize who is QB is gonna be.

Yeah, I get that.  If he can't do both, then he should concentrate on his health.  However, I've knows a couple people recently who've gone through similar proton therapy treatment, and they both kept working to some degree because when they're not getting treatment, it kept their minds occupied.

So if he could basically become a "desk job" coach, and let Del Rio handle the on the field stuff, it might work really well.  

29 minutes ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Yep..........Outside of McClaurin, we have EASILY the WORST WR group in the league.  Those guys are getting little to no separation. TE is not bad, but he's a lower tier starting TE. Meanwhile everyone expecting Haskins to be Joe Montana in his prime. 

Yep said that before the season. Talent is so low. Had some hopes for Simms, but seems like the like Wright better in that role. He is seeing less to non opportunities. 

I hope we don't have to endure a lot of spin from this game by folks hyping Haskins' 300 yards passing performance, claiming how much he's improved, and how he's been validated as the quarterback of the future for Washington.  To my eye, Haskins still has a lot of the same problems he had last week.  I think Haskins' yardage needs to be evaluated in the context in which he obtained it.  His numbers benefited from - - lots of pass attempts, trying "game-manager" types of passes that got plumped up by good YAC, the "garbage-time" factor, and the fact that maybe the Ravens self-defense isn't all that stout.  I thought Haskins' performance was at game-manager level with deductions for the sacks, and the fact Washington fell behind quickly and eventually lost by a fairly wide margin.

That said, I'm of the school of thought, that in most cases, you don't really know how good a new QB you've got, until somewhere between their 3rd and 5th year.  (Naturally some phenoms start flashing their talents in year 1, but most need a few years.). So Haskins needs more time to learn the NFL game, in whatever role Rivera and Zampese think will help this green 1st year player to really learn how to become a great QB.

Personally, I was not a fan of drafting Haskins, and I didn't care for a few things he's said and done along the way.  However, it's way too early to close the book on him, and maybe he can improve.  But he'll need to do better than what we've seen so far, and to show something against the tougher teams in the league.  Washington has a somewhat easier stretch of games ahead, so he should look better; but until he starts carrying his teammates to victory over tougher competition -- he'll still be in the prove-it phase to me and very benchable if he can learn better that way.  

there's one thing I want to know.  On that sack for a like a 17 or 19  yd loss where it was 2nd and goal from the 30s.  How deep was his setup originally, because it didn't seem like he retreated that far and he only spun once?

1 minute ago, wilco_holland said:

Yep said that before the season. Talent is so low. Had some hopes for Simms, but seems like the like Wright better in that role. He is seeing less to non opportunities. 

which Sims?  Steven Sims was injured today.  And considering Cam started on the PS and Wright on the roster that seems likely

Not sure if everyone is watching the post game with Brian Mitchell, but what has happened to him?  When did he become the excuse machine is this season?  He and JP are going at it over Haskins.  Brian Mitchell will not allow any criticism of Haskins.  He is throwing everybody else on the team under the bus to prop up Haskins.  It is actually pathetic.  This not the B Mitch of years past, that guy would kick this guys tail off the show.  Wow.

5 minutes ago, Rhazaghul said:

Not sure if everyone is watching the post game with Brian Mitchell, but what has happened to him?  When did he become the excuse machine is this season?  He and JP are going at it over Haskins.  Brian Mitchell will not allow any criticism of Haskins.  He is throwing everybody else on the team under the bus to prop up Haskins.  It is actually pathetic.  This not the B Mitch of years past, that guy would kick this guys tail off the show.  Wow.

None of this stuff is real, they prep beforehand who is going to take a homer stance and who will be critical, so that the discussion causes disagreement and gets fans talking. It’s “entertainment”, not real analysis. Mitchell is playing a role now and was then, too. 

19 minutes ago, Rhazaghul said:

Iono, maybe he understands that outside of McClaurin and maybe Gibson, everyone on offense is low tier talent. Haven't heard what he's saying, but if he's crapping on the offense around Haskins, I agree with him. 

27 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

i was high on kelvin harmon taking another step forward. losing him hurt a lot. i think he's the closest thing we had to a number 2.

Not sure I agree with that.  He was visibly angry and has been consistent for the last 3 games.  Prior to this year, B Mitch was consistent in his analysis.  So much so , that he was about the only voice that made sense during the previous awful years.  This season he is defending Haskins and every coaching decision and is often the only one doing so.  It has become a bit of a distraction.  I guess, he just could be a really good actor.  Everyone else on the show seems to be consistent with their prior selves.  Who knows?  I just don't get the vibe that this is acting for entertainment sake.  

31 minutes ago, Rhazaghul said:

Perhaps he just has a different opinion of Haskins' play than you do.

Doesn't mean he isn't "the B Mitch of the past".🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ron probably sticks with Haskins.  But honestly, I’m sure he’s getting antsy.  

This division is there. Washington’s defense is probably the second best unit in the division behind Dallas’ offense.  

But the Washington offense is so limited with Haskins.  

So I wonder if Ron thinks if he can juice the offense from a 2 to a 4 with either Allen or Smith, it makes sense to do so. 

I don’t think they’re beating the Rams regardless. But after that, they’ve got a few games where they can be competitive and win.  

Its going to be an interesting week.  Because Haskins didn’t play as poorly as he did last week, but he’s still very limited. 

I was going to say we have 30 years of evidence to disprove that theory.

I think Turner has a really smart offense and while I don't think we have the sure weapons to really be dangerous, Alex Smith running this offense, feeding TMC and Gibson would get us very far. I have no real interest in seeing Allen yet.

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think Turner has a really smart offense and while I don't think we have the sure weapons to really be dangerous, Alex Smith running this offense, feeding TMC and Gibson would get us very far. I have no real interest in seeing Allen yet.

The big “if” is “if” Alex Smith is even remotely able to operate like a professional QB.  If he’s Peyton Manning in his last year or two who struggles to throw the ball past the line of scrimmage and can’t move, then it’s not worth it.  

If he’s somewhat physically capable, knows the offense as and can just execute it better, then it might be worth it.  

Im fine developing guys.  But the offense is so limited and they just don’t trust Haskins to really do anything.  I’d like to see the offense with a QB who knows what they’re doing run it.  Even with these pieces because he’ll, you might have more talent than you think but can’t really evaluate it. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

This take makes me laugh as if people forgot who Alex Smith is. Alex’s entire career is made off of games like what Haskins had today. Low risk throws and nothing downfield. 

It’s laughable you compare Haskins game today to Smith. Pre injury your know variables with Smith is a top 7 run game, top 5 TO differential, and top 5-10 in time of possession. All things a team with a strong defense can use. Alex Smith today, who knows, but I certainly rather see him than Allen. I also feel you can go back to Haskins or have in a competition next year if Smith is made the QB, but not Allen. 

41 minutes ago, Rhazaghul said:

Not sure I agree with that.  He was visibly angry and has been consistent for the last 3 games.  Prior to this year, B Mitch was consistent in his analysis.  So much so , that he was about the only voice that made sense during the previous awful years.  This season he is defending Haskins and every coaching decision and is often the only one doing so.  It has become a bit of a distraction.  I guess, he just could be a really good actor.  Everyone else on the show seems to be consistent with their prior selves.  Who knows?  I just don't get the vibe that this is acting for entertainment sake.  

Bmitch in past years has bemoaned the effort, preparation, and accountability... he seems to feel those characteristics exist for the first time in a long time. 

1 hour ago, carex said:

which Sims?  Steven Sims was injured today.  And considering Cam started on the PS and Wright on the roster that seems likely

Which sims? Well, seeing as how one is spelled with one M, and one is spelled with two M’s, I’m guessing he was talking about the one with two M’s, as he spelled it 😂 plus, he was the only Simms on the field on offense, so it’s clear who he meant :) 

31 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

Yea, Haskins doesn't have much talent around him.. And he lacks in that department himself, so.. Is what it is. 

Look, its bottom 5 in the NFL (especially at TE where they are the worst in the NFL), but Haskins sure as heck isn't elevating anything.  There were WIDE OPEN receivers last week that he missed easily.  He's missed Terry WIDE OPEN on a cross (and instead had an incompletion).  He's using his agent to make excuses.  He's being petulant.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If not for McLaurin we literally have expansion team level talent on offense. Although Gibson appears to be a baller.

I’m not sure I agree.   I think there is potential in the other two receivers and Logan Thomas.   And as mentioned I think Gibson showed signs today of being legit especially as he continues to learn the RB position and Turner learns how to use him. 

Archived