Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ Washington @ Arizona

TK

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I think Sims will make a solid #3 slot/gadget type WR. He can't be one of your reliable top 2 guys but he'd be excellent in that 3rd role. Think Jamison Crowder in 2016 when we had Garcon and D Jax.

What we really need is an OL and a TE. And of course, for Haskins to continue to develop(and if not, then obviously QB as well).

We have all year to see if Chistian and Martin can play.  My guess is no and maybe.  Scherff is gone.  Rouiller is just average, and Moses is literally Moses.  Maybe Charles comes in and is good.

They need help at TE, they need help at WR.

Right now, the only guys who I would be sure who would have a spot next year are McLaurin and Gibson.  There are a few others I'd think would have a shot, but this could be an entire re-build from the ground up.

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This is obviously a tank year and Ron has already been hinting at that if you all have been paying attention. Wins will be nice if they happen to stumble across them but Ron is going to command the tank to acquire more talent. 

I don't think it's tanking.  Tanking woudl be actively trying to lose.  I don't think they're doing that.

What I think they're doing is trying to instill the culture, and to me that means player accountability, attention in practice, etc., and figure out exactly who on their team could be part of a championship run, and who can't be.  I think they already have answers on a bunch of guys on defense.  The D-Line, mostly yes.  The LBs, mostly no.  Apke, no.  Others, question mark.

On offense, I think they're going to see how Haskins develops.  They're going to see what Sims has.  And they want to see what some of the folks like Charles, Christian and Martin have.  

If they decide they don't have enough, then next year, they know the grocery list, and they go shopping.  

5 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Nah.  Change of pace back maybe.

I don't think we have an every down back.  I think that mixing the three of them up is the best strategy.  

Didn't love Haskins saying post game just now, it takes awhile to see what the defense was doing and once they did they started moving the ball.

Granted their offense wasn't purely about garbage time but some of it was.  I disagree with the premise that Galdi has (and apparently Haskins might too) about how Haskins catches fire in the 2nd.  IMO he was decent but not that great in the 2nd half of the first game.  And I think he was OK but nothing special in the 2nd half of this game.

I am not trying to beat up on Haskins.  My point is to learn from one game to another, IMO you want to be real with yourself.  And granted it is just my opinion but i don't think we've seen Haskins on fire at any point in either game.  He had flashes like that last year in the 2nd Giants game and the Eagles game where he was on fire but not yet IMO this season -- granted its very early. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Probably.  Giants may be our competition this year (especially sans Barkley) for pick numero uno

I really don't think this team is as bad as all that.  Part of that is because I think Arizona is REALLY good.  Part of it is because I think there is a pretty good chance they could beat Cleveland next week, because Baker is a **** who is hot and cold, and our DL should be able to harass him. 

I said before the season, I think this is a 6-10/7-9 season.  I still think that's probably where they will land up.  They are 1-1.  Shrug.  

I want to see more of this movie.  I said in the prediction thread, this might be one of the worst matchups in the league for us.  Their strength negates our strength. We have a better chance against the 49ers because Garapolo is a bad QB running a great scheme than we do with Murray.   

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think it's tanking.  Tanking woudl be actively trying to lose.  I don't think they're doing that.

What I think they're doing is trying to instill the culture, and to me that means player accountability, attention in practice, etc., and figure out exactly who on their team could be part of a championship run, and who can't be.  I think they already have answers on a bunch of guys on defense.  The D-Line, mostly yes.  The LBs, mostly no.  Apke, no.  Others, question mark.

On offense, I think they're going to see how Haskins develops.  They're going to see what Sims has.  And they want to see what some of the folks like Charles, Christian and Martin have.  

If they decide they don't have enough, then next year, they know the grocery list, and they go shopping.  

That's not how I view tanking. Tanking isn't deliberately trying to lose, it's not doing everything in your power to win. Like when Ron says "trust the process", those are words typically used by coaches/teams that are tanking or just very bad in general. 

I do agree with them trying to asses everyone on the team, this is definitely an evaluation year. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't love Haskins saying post game just now, it takes awhile to see what the defense was doing and once they did they started moving the ball.

I haven't heard it yet, I think I get what he's saying, but I also find that troubling.  If you're prepared with your film work and the plan, you should be able to problem solve from the get-go.  

Though, and I can't remember the game, there was a game which I was watching, mid 00's I think, and whatever defense he was playing had him a bit confused.  Somewhere in the middle of the second quarter, they scored a TD, and as he was walking to the sideline, there was something about his look the announcers said, "Peyton just figured out the defense. He's got it."  And they scored TDs on every drive from that point to the end of the game and blew whoever it was out. I think they showed the image of him walking off about 20 times the rest of the game.  It was so obvious.  

So I'll grant you, it can take a little time to figure it out.  But that's like, a drive, maybe 2.  And you can't go 3 and out, 3 and out, and then start to figure it out.  

Granted their offense wasn't purely about garbage time but some of it was.  I disagree with the premise that Galdi has (and apparently Haskins might too) about how Haskins catches fire in the 2nd.  IMO he was decent but not that great in the 2nd half of the first game.  And I think he was OK but nothing special in the 2nd half of this game.

Second half, better than first half, but not on-fire.  Nothing about the offense was on-fire.  

I am not trying to beat up on Haskins.  My point is to learn from one game to another, IMO you want to be real with yourself.  And granted it is just my opinion but i don't think we've seen Haskins on fire at any point in either game.  He had flashes like that last year in the 2nd Giants game and the Eagles game where he was on fire but not yet IMO this season -- granted its very early. 

This tweet doesn't bother me.  I think he point is, why is he better late than early, and what can you do to have consistency.  At least that's the way I read it.  

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

That's not how I view tanking. Tanking isn't deliberately trying to lose, it's not doing everything in your power to win. Like when Ron says "trust the process", those are words typically used by coaches/teams that are tanking or just very bad in general. 

I do agree with them trying to asses everyone on the team, this is definitely an evaluation year. 

I see tanking, and the way you have seen tanking in baseball, as trading away assets for future picks.  NOTE: Players and Coaches do not tank.  ORGANIZATIONS tank.  And they do so with certain personnel moves which can hurt the team in the current season for future benefits.  Saving cap room, gathering draft capital, etc.  

Coaches will always try and win the game in front of them.  

11 minutes ago, Bacon said:

A great win last week, a bad loss this week.

Keep it medium, my friends.

<Zorn>

Possibly the most punchable face in franchise history.  

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Haskins certainly seems to play better in a 2 minute offense. He seems to need a frenetic sort of pace. Scott should try to do this from the start next week

Based on the data we have available to us, if we play like we're losing by three scores from the start every week, we'll never lose! 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Probably.  Giants may be our competition this year (especially sans Barkley) for pick numero uno

The defense had a almost historic game against mostly Eagle back up O lineman and set up just about every score for the offense.  Eagles looked bad again today.   

The WFT looked like a pretty bad team, today.  If they lose Scherff to an already bad O line?  The season can go south quick.  Yeah it ran through my head today too that we and the Giants might be the two worst teams in the NFL.  But I got to see how they play next week before I firmly plant myself there.

As much as I didn't think this was a good matchup for us.  Conversely i do think the Browns are a good matchup for us.  If we lose that one, then all bets are off for me. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The defense had a almost historic game against mostly Eagle back up O lineman and set up just about every score for the offense.  Eagles looked bad again today.   

The WFT looked like a pretty bad team, today.  If they lose Scherff to an already bad O line?  The season can go south quick.  Yeah it ran through my head today too that we and the Giants might be the two worst teams in the NFL.  But I got to see how they play next week before I firmly plant myself there.

As much as I didn't think this was a good matchup for us.  Conversely i do think the Browns are a good matchup for us.  If we lose that one, then all bets are off for me. 

The Jets say hello.

Archived