Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN Reporting that RBG Has Passed

Corcaigh

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Thanks Donald, the adults need a minute. Kindly stfu. 

He clearly didn't write that.  Too coherent, intelligible and decent.  Not to mention too many big words.

Edited by China
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, China said:

He clearly didn't write that.  Too coherent, intelligible and decent.  Not to mention too many big words.

No insults.  No self congratulatory content.  No words about how he is going to replace her with some goon of his.  Definitely not written by Trump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I saw a video from 2018 where Lindsay Graham said he would wait until after the election if a vacancy came up after the primaries were over.

These people are all full of it. Amy Barrett is going to be the next SCOTUS justice. 

Yep but Graham could still keep to what he said. Trump will still have until first week in January to get a nominee confirmed (20 January if the Republicans keep the Senate).

51 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Yep but Graham could still keep to what he said. Trump will still have until first week in January to get a nominee confirmed (20 January if the Republicans keep the Senate).

N, nice hearing from you on here again. I agree with you that what will likely happen is that the confirmation process will take place after the election. But I think many people were thinking that when Graham said that, he was agreeing in spirit to following the model in 2016 that the winner of the election would get the pick. Of course, we've known for some time that McConnell has said "yes, but if the President and Senate are in the same party, then all bets are off."  And I think Graham has backtracked on his 2018 statement to fall in line with McConnell.

I saw in an earlier post that you think Trump is going to lose. I think he is going to win with less than 300 electoral votes and a loss in the popular vote again. 

5 hours ago, spjunkies said:

This is the answer. Every Dem in Washington needs to tell that greasy, hypocritical rat **** McConnel that if he tries to ram a nomination through, if Biden wins and the Dems capture the Senate, they will expand the court and pack it with fire-breathing liberals

There's plenty of historical precedent for a variable number of Supreme Court justices. The number of judges isnt set constitutionally, but via federal law instead. 

I'm sick of one side playing by unwritten rules, and the other side ****ting all over them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

This is the answer. Every Dem in Washington needs to tell that greasy, hypocritical rat **** McConnel that if he tries to ram a nomination through, if Biden wins and the Dems capture the Senate, they will expand the court and pack it with fire-breathing liberals

There's plenty of historical precedent for a variable number of Supreme Court justices. The number of judges isnt set constitutionally, but via federal law instead. 

I'm sick of one side playing by unwritten rules, and the other side ****ting all over them.  

I agree. I’m tired of watching the dems roll over and play nice. If they let a nom through I’ll be absolutely livid.

That piece of **** McConnell can’t die soon enough and my bucket list already includes dancing on his grave.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, China said:

I know, its embarrassing that this is what we're reduced to for a president. 

They could have said that a dog wrote that statement and it wouldn't be any more obvious that they were full of ****. 

Man, I can't help but feel a sense of helplessness.

If you're Trump, this is your golden opportunity to shape the country to your liking. This is your chance to have a lasting impact. Now he probably isn't thinking any where past the election at this point. But I don't see a way he doesn't have a nominee lined up by the end of next week.

I wonder, what's the fastest that a Supreme Court Justice has ever been named and confirmed?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I wonder, what's the fastest that a Supreme Court Justice has ever been named and confirmed?

Here's a bit of info to pass along:

https://www.thoughtco.com/confirming-u-s-supreme-court-nominees-3879361

Current Court Members Were Confirmed in 2 Months 

The eight members of the Supreme Court at the time of Scalia's death were confirmed in an average of 68 days, an analysis of government records found.

Here's a look at how many days the Senate took to confirm members of those eight Supreme Court justices, from shortest duration to longest:

John G. Roberts Jr.: 19 days. He was nominated by President George W. Bush on Sept. 6, 2005, and confirmed on Sept. 25 by a vote of 78 to 22.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: 50 days. She was nominated by President Bill Clinton on June 14, 1993, and confirmed on Aug. 3, 1993, by a vote of 96 to 3.

Anthony M. Kennedy: 65 days. He was nominated by President Ronald Reagan on Nov. 30, 1987, and confirmed on Feb 3, 1988, by a vote of 97 to 0.

Sonia Sotomayor: 66 days. She was nominated by President Barack Obama on June 1, 2009, and was confirmed on August 6, 2009, by a vote of 68 to 31.

Stephen G. Breyer: 74 days. He was nominated by President Bill Clinton on May 17, 1994, and confirmed on July 29, 1994, by a vote of 87 to 9.   

Samuel Anthony Alito Jr: 82 days. He was nominated by President George W. Bush on Nov. 10, 2005, and confirmed on Jan. 31, 2006, by a vote of 58 to 42.

Elena Kagan: 87 days. She was nominated by Obama on May 10, 2010, and confirmed on August 5, 2010, by a vote of 63-37.

Clarence Thomas: 99 days. He was nominated by President George H.W. Bush on July 8, 1991, and confirmed on Oct. 15, 1991, by a vote of 52 to 48.

So it would be quite unusual to have a justice nominated and confirmed in the next oh... 45 days.

I have very low expectations but if the Dems take the Senate, they should appoint a minimum of three justices and end the filibuster. Statehood for Puerto Rico and DC. Add four Senators. 

Do they have the fortitude for this? Probably not. But it’s the only response to the GOP lying and cheating it’s way to power over the past decade.

• Like 3

First of all let me say RIP RBG she will be missed.

Now since I've awaken from my Johnnie Walker drunken cloud after I heard that news of her passing(couldn't even watch the game last night after I heard the news), we have to make her death political. The stake of the country lies in the balance. Mitch went back on his word, you know the Tangerine Tyrant was salivating when he heard this(there was a reason why he put names out). No one can sit this election out. If you live in a swing state, do what is right.  

Rest in Peace RBG ☹️

I wonder about the political calculus here. If Trump and Co ram through a new Justice (I expect them to) doesn't Trump lose a bit of motivation for his voters? The judges thing is pretty much a done deal.

23 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Here's a bit of info to pass along:

https://www.thoughtco.com/confirming-u-s-supreme-court-nominees-3879361

So it would be quite unusual to have a justice nominated and confirmed in the next oh... 45 days.

They have until January. I don't think anything will stop them, certainly not a sense of honor or decorum.