Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

Ok maybe it's just me, but I think the defensive line is doing a great job.  We're number 1 in the NFL in Passing Yards Allowed, 3rd in Sacks, 5th in Total Yards Allowed, best Sack percentage without blitzing.  To me all of this is attributed to the defensive line.  Our LBs and SEC are weak.  Our DT are 4th and 6th on the team in tackles.  Our starting LBs have 9 more tackles than Jonathan Allen.  That is only 1 more a game.  The Defensive Line has been so good they make teams play the quick game and getting the ball out of the QB hand fast.  The difference is if you look at the other good defensive lines in the nfl, look at the lb core and secondary.  Pitt has Fitzpatrick and Garden.  Rams have Jalen Ramsey.  NE has Gilmore.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Could it be that our rush defense is suffering, from the lack of Ioannidis ?

I really think its linebacker play imho, when they play well it looks good, when they are not - any run play that isn't shut down in the backfield by our front 4 turns into 7 yards minimum

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dckey said:

Ok maybe it's just me, but I think the defensive line is doing a great job.  We're number 1 in the NFL in Passing Yards Allowed, 3rd in Sacks, 5th in Total Yards Allowed, best Sack percentage without blitzing.  To me all of this is attributed to the defensive line.  Our LBs and SEC are weak.  Our DT are 4th and 6th on the team in tackles.  Our starting LBs have 9 more tackles than Jonathan Allen.  That is only 1 more a game.  The Defensive Line has been so good they make teams play the quick game and getting the ball out of the QB hand fast.  The difference is if you look at the other good defensive lines in the nfl, look at the lb core and secondary.  Pitt has Fitzpatrick and Garden.  Rams have Jalen Ramsey.  NE has Gilmore.  

Those #s are inflated because of three NFC East games. The D is mediocre at best and gets eviscerated by good offenses. The DL doesn't sustain pressure at all unless its against OLs manned by backups. I wonder how many sacks we have against actual starting OL, I bet its less than 3 for the year.

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Those #s are inflated because of three NFC East games. The D is mediocre at best and gets eviscerated by good offenses. The DL doesn't sustain pressure at all unless its against OLs manned by backups. I wonder how many sacks we have against actual starting OL, I bet its less than 3 for the year.

Those numbers are not inflated, if you take out the 4 NFC East games, we still only gave up 1 300 yard passing game to the Rams.  We had a total of 8 sacks, passing yards of 278 Cards ,142 Browns, 206 Ravens, 300 Rams.  The offense turned the ball over 8 times in these games (5 against Cle).  If the defense has a problem it's getting off the field after a turnover.  In those 4 games we only gave up 8 drives over 50 yards.  If the offense was able to give them some help.  They would be even better.  Their not the 2000 Ravens or the 85 Bears but they're still pretty good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

I feel like I have to continually say the same thing... our linebackers are a huge problem.

Just like we did with QB much earlier in the season, and at Safety with Apke, isn't it time, or past due, to make a change at LB ?

I don't understand why SDH has not been given the chance to start over Bostic.

10 hours ago, method man said:

The silver lining with Payne is that, although he hasn't matched the peak play of James or Vea, he has at least stayed on the field. Can't discount that. I don't think he'll ever be a Pro Bowler but that is more because he is not ever going to get 7-8 sacks a season. He's a 3-5 sack a year guy who will stuff the run.

The wise move would be to move Allen this offseason and try to get a 3rd back for him but the likely outcome is they extend him and then lose the more productive and cheaper Settle to UFA in 2022.

So Jon Allen, a steal in the draft at the time, has the value of a 3rd in your opinion?  That's about right, unfortunately.  And while I agree with you on Payne maybe I'm wrong but hoping for Pro Bowl or close to it performance from either Allen and Payne was not out of the question, Hell many fans believed they were on  the cusp starting the season, and it's just not the case.  Also agree with out about Settle, there were many years here when he would have been their best DL.

I still see them as similar to Chris Weber and Juan Howard, good but we were expecting so much more. 

So Moreland talked about a big problem with run fits after the Gints game. If this hasn't already been discussed, anybody know who the culprit was? I know Ron talked about it, but pretty much said they just need the guys to buy in. 

Edited by joeken24
add

Here's the thing with our defensive line... Other than Sweat, who has been excellent most of this season... and Young... And probably Ioan...

You could plug basically anyone in to the other spots and get similar play. Paying as much money as we'll need to pay Payne + Allen is going to hurt this team's cap situation quite a bit. 

But if we want to see the DL play better, even replacing Allen or Payne or both later down the line... Or keeping them... you NEED to improve the backers.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Here's the thing with our defensive line... Other than Sweat, who has been excellent most of this season... and Young... And probably Ioan...

You could plug basically anyone in to the other spots and get similar play. Paying as much money as we'll need to pay Payne + Allen is going to hurt this team's cap situation quite a bit. 

But if we want to see the DL play better, even replacing Allen or Payne or both later down the line... Or keeping them... you NEED to improve the backers.

Yep that is the main thing.  Allen & Payne are going to be going after new contracts soon.  In today's NFL you have to look at the value a player brings versus how much they expect to be paid, and how many other teams out there are willing to give them that amount.  

Payne and Allen max out at pretty good. Neither are game changers and you only get big money at DT if you're a game changer.

I'm fine letting Allen walk or trading him. I think Settle is just as good if not better. Payne has been better and is more of a force at least against the run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Why does it seem like the fan base is always more forward thinking than the actual team?? Seemed obvious we had a surplus on the DL. Is RK going to retire here?? Did no one want these guys?? Am I naive?

None of our guys are really going to net us a pick that's worth getting rid of them. Unless you're an All-Pro like Buckner, teams aren't going to give up a 1st rounder a DT. I don't think Payne or Allen even net a 2nd rounder, they just seem like pretty good players and nothing more. 

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

None of our guys are really going to net us a pick that's worth getting rid of them. Unless you're an All-Pro like Buckner, teams aren't going to give up a 1st rounder a DT. I don't think Payne or Allen even net a 2nd rounder, they just seem like pretty good players and nothing more. 

I think next year will be huge years for both players and we’ll end up trading Allen on the tag.

• Like 1

The smart thing actually might be to try to resign both after this year when neither have really "broken out" yet. The risk of course is that they never break out and you overpay for just pretty decent but if you can sign them to deals that solid starting DL make you could potentially get guys who over perform.

But if you invest four firsts in a unit and its not a game changing dominant unit, then it might be time to cut bait and move on.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The smart thing actually might be to try to resign both after this year when neither have really "broken out" yet. The risk of course is that they never break out and you overpay for just pretty decent but if you can sign them to deals that solid starting DL make you could potentially get guys who over perform.

But if you invest four firsts in a unit and its not a game changing dominant unit, then it might be time to cut bait and move on.

I’ve seen enough of Allen. He is on his 5th year option next season - try to recoup a 3rd or a 4th for him. 

I’d extend Payne and Settle and let Brantley be my no. 4 guy next year or draft someone to be good depth

• Like 1