Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

47 minutes ago, justice98 said:

He said that Allen was still sore and he didn't want him taking another shot.  But that if Allen is ok this week, he's the starter.

Still, it may be notable that it indicates that Rivera has less apprehension about the physical concerns and limitations on Smith's rebuilt leg, than he does about Allen with a sore arm who was cleared.

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Still, it may be notable that it indicates that Rivera has less apprehension about the physical concerns and limitations on Smith's rebuilt leg, than he does about Allen with a sore arm who was cleared.

Agreed, there were more reasons to take Smith out than leave him in.

Chemo is going to Riverras head if he keeps starting Smith. He has Zero chance of doing anything in the NFL going forward. He lost 3 steps and yes even with no games in 2 years slow as hell Checkdown Charlie is not what Skins need and he is definitely not the future. Let Kyle Allen play it out and daft a QB next year.

That was John Beck against the Bills in 2011 levels of bad.  It was RG3 against the Chiefs in 2013 levels of bad.  It's also the same exact way he played when Peterson was stuffed and the opposing offense put up points early and often back in 2018.  

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Alex will retire after the season.

I think he should get comeback player of the year.  Being able to come back from that injury alone and still play; warrants getting that award.

He can move into the front office or coaching if he chooses.

He won't retire before being cut.

Alex Smith seems very bright. Would be nice to see Snyder have a football guy at his side who he listens to. 

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Alex will retire after the season.

I think he should get comeback player of the year.  Being able to come back from that injury alone and still play; warrants getting that award.

He can move into the front office or coaching if he chooses.

I think I'd rather see the guy who missed almost all of last year who currently has his team undefeated rather than the guy who is currently averaging 8 touchdowns and 24 interceptions over the course of a season with a dismal 16.3 QBR.

Alex Smith had a rough end to the game, but once he got going he showed more than Haskins or Allen really have.   He is obviously not the quick & nimble athlete he was a five years ago but he didn't seem to have much trouble slinging the ball around and hitting players in stride which makes a huge difference in the WCO/short style of passing offense.   I don't view him as any kind savior to the season, but I also don't get the opinion from so many of the fans that he is washed up and finished. 

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Alex Smith had a rough end to the game, but once he got going he showed more than Haskins or Allen really have.   He is obviously not the quick & nimble athlete he was a five years ago but he didn't seem to have much trouble slinging the ball around and hitting players in stride which makes a huge difference in the WCO/short style of passing offense.   I don't view him as any kind savior to the season, but I also don't get the opinion from so many of the fans that he is washed up and finished. 

Alex absolutely is still an upper tier QB in the league.

The only reason he threw those interceptions and had trouble scrambling yesterday is because a circuit breaker burned out in his Bionic Leg.

Once WFT Tech Support finishes maintenance of the leg and re-wiring the electrical components in his leg, he will be fine.

These leg reconstructions take time.

At some point in time it will be apparent to Ron that we have no chance of winning the division so it will be interesting to see if Haskins comes back in.  If he truly is interested in developing Haskins it seems that would be the time.  With little to no trade value already, it doesn’t seem to be to big a risk other than him getting injured and the team getting stuck with him.  Despite what you saw yesterday, Alex gives us the best chance to win so how this plays out will tell you what Ron really thinks of DH.

i don’t think DH is the answer so barring injury I think Alex starts the rest of the season.  I don’t wish injury on anyone, especially Alex with all he has already been through, but I think the best thing for the team looking into the future is to get DH back on the field.  Maybe something clicks with DH in he shows enough to stick around or more likely he shows he doesn’t, either was we have a bit more clarity.

57 minutes ago, evmiii said:

i don’t think DH is the answer so barring injury I think Alex starts the rest of the season.  I don’t wish injury on anyone, especially Alex with all he has already been through, but I think the best thing for the team looking into the future is to get DH back on the field.  Maybe something clicks with DH in he shows enough to stick around or more likely he shows he doesn’t, either was we have a bit more clarity.

I like Alex a lot, obviously, however I don't hold any absolute convictions or uber-bias either direction, on the QB position.

So I am pretty open-minded to any of the possible options. Not a Haskins fan, but I don't think he is doomed either. WIth that said, I can see the advantage of playing him in the 2nd half of the season, even if we don't plan to keep him, because it could raise his trade value if he plays somewhat decent. And we all would like to get something back from a 1st round pick, in the best way possible.

Then there's the possibility that he actually far exceeds expectations in the season's 2nd half, and they change their mind, and keep him.

It's almost definitely a win-win, if we play him.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I like Alex a lot, obviously, however I don't hold any absolute convictions or uber-bias either direction, on the QB position.

So I am pretty open-minded to any of the possible options. Not a Haskins fan, but I don't think he is doomed either. WIth that said, I can see the advantage of playing him in the 2nd half of the season, even if we don't plan to keep him, because it could raise his trade value if he plays somewhat decent. And we all would like to get something back from a 1st round pick, in the best way possible.

Then there's the possibility that he actually far exceeds expectations in the season's 2nd half, and they change their mind, and keep him.

It's almost definitely a win-win, if we play him.

Consider that one QB has an attitude and immaturity problem...while the other is the consummate professional and clear leader.  Now, you've invested a 15th pick in 2019 on one guy and a 3rd round pick plus $71M and 3 yrs on the other.  You control the contracts for 2 more years on both players and cutting either would be a dead cap difference of about 2M next year as well as their combined salaries being below the NFL starting QB average.  So the money doesn't matter.  Your goal is to put together at least a Division winner in 2021.  Who's your starter? 

At 36 yrs old. clearly the better player and clear leader gives you a better chance to win and build a potential division winner in 2021.  It's not even close.  Haskins has to prove he can be a Pro NFL QB worthy of being followed on the field and not social media.  Until he stops being a whining snowflake, he'll never get another chance. 

Archived