Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

On 11/11/2020 at 12:37 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:
Uh oh...... good thing this game isn’t happening on Wednesday, or I’d start getting scared! 

Fortunately Kemp wasn't the one who broke his leg, it was Watt and Jackson.

Actually, this is probably a very good thing. Kemp having witnessed the gruesome injury could mean that any player who touches Smith gets a Roughing the Passer flag, practically

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Fortunately Kemp wasn't the one who broke his leg, it was Watt and Jackson.

Actually, this is probably a very good thing. Kemp having witnessed the gruesome injury could mean that any player who touches Smith gets a Roughing the Passer flag, practically

Yeah, i think the tweet is meant to be bad in a “haha wow how ironic” type of way, not in a serious way or anything. I don’t think anyone ACTUALLY is worried about smith breaking his leg in this game just because the ref from that game is the same as tomorrow’s game. 

I think Alex was overrated in 2018, they were 6-4 and could have easily been 5-5 but got crazy lucky in Tampa.  I think he played so so, game manager, for the most part that season.  But I did buy into his leadership-great guy.   

Today, I thought he played fantastic.  Yeah they lost.  But I am not a purist as to win and losses are all on the QB.  If a player plays medicore in a win I am not giving them full credit for the win.  Conversely, in this game, Alex was the MVP.  He did plenty enough to win the game.  The loss was on the defense IMO.   Alex IMO was fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Alex was overrated in 2018, they were 6-4 and could have easily been 5-5 but got crazy lucky in Tampa.  I think he played so so, game manager, for the most part that season.  But I did buy into his leadership-great guy.   

Today, I thought he played fantastic.  Yeah they lost.  But I am not a purist as to win and losses are all on the QB.  If a player plays medicore in a win I am not giving them full credit for the win.  Conversely, in this game, Alex was the MVP.  He did plenty enough to win the game.  The loss was on the defense IMO.   Alex IMO was fantastic. 

Agreed about today. Second half was right on it in the main. 

Im sure he’ll be convinced he can play in the league in 2021. 

Thought Smith played really well today for the most part.  A few times near the end wondered if his nerves were getting to him some but overall, he gave us a chance and came through at the very end to give us a chance to tie it.  Ha, to be honest, thought for sure we'd miss the field goal since that would be classic for us but glad we tied it up. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In 2018 I think Smith is the reason the team had a chance. Steady quarterback play and limited turnovers.

In 2020 he has been a very mixed bag. He played the best game of any WFT QB this year, but he also played the worst in relief earlier in the season and a meh game last week.

He averages out to around a C+ grade right now. I'd say in 2018 he was a B-.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

In 2018 I think Smith is the reason the team had a chance. Steady quarterback play and limited turnovers.

In 2020 he has been a very mixed bag. He played the best game of any WFT QB this year, but he also played the worst in relief earlier in the season and a meh game last week.

He averages out to around a C+ grade right now. I'd say in 2018 he was a B-.

I recall in 2018 when Cooley said he spoke to Alex Smith (he mentioned this on a podcast) even Alex didn't think he was playing that well at the time.   With the exception of 2 games, IMO he was so so to less than that in his games in 2018.  But Peterson was an animal that season.  The run game was on fire.  The defense played better.  And I agree his lack of turnovers helped.  Ditto his leadership skills.  But when they went head to head against prolific offenses that year see the Atlanta game and the New Orleans game they were smoked. 

The Tampa game which i was at personally was a bad performance from Alex against a poor defense at the time but Tampa coughed up the ball a zillion times and missed multiple field goals.  It was one of the flukiest wins in NFL history statistically.   From what I recall the most lopsided yardage game ever where the team that dominated the game actually lost.  I recall them talking about it at the time.   To me the 2018 team was mediocre and Alex was mediocre, too.   And from what Cooley said, Alex felt the same way and thought he could play better,

Alex's reputation has been he's a dude primed to hold a lead but who historically struggled to helped his team come back from behind and compete against prolific offenses.  Alex today looked oddly to me better than that.  That was IMO his best game by a mile with WFT.    He set a personal career record today for most compeletions, most yards, and this was the first time having back to back 300 yard games in his whole career.  Or so it was said on the radio today.  

So I guess we disagree.  I'd give him a C minus for 2018 as to his play.  A for leadership.  This year, I'd give him a B plus for as to how he played so far in 2020.  I throw out the Rams game which was in a moonsoon.   And an A for leadership. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Alex today looked oddly to me better than that.  That was IMO his best game by a mile with WFT.    He set a personal career record today for most compeletions, most yards, and this was the first time having back to back 300 yard games in his whole career.

I been tellin you guys they would rebuild him, even better than before

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I been tellin you guys they would rebuild him, even better than before

If all of what they said was true on the radio about his stats in this game, then that was a career type of day for Alex.    So lol maybe he is better than before?  😀

I am not a big 14 for 24, 175 yards kind of guy as for my QBs.  I want a SB, and be able to compete with the big boys in a shooting match kind of game.  2018 Alex IMO wasn't that dude.  Maybe 2017 he was that dude, that was his career year but by and large Alex's reputation was being a 10-15 type QB who gives you a chance if the rest of your roster is up to snuff. 

Today's Alex was a dude who could go toe to toe with Brees.  And that was stunning for me to watch.  Remarkable.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Today's Alex was a dude who could go toe to toe with Brees.  And that was stunning for me to watch.  Remarkable.

Especially considering the lack of talent on offense, on the Oline, TE'S, WR's

He's looked better each time he's come out there this year.

Some people wanted to bench him after the turnovers last week.

But he comes out and does all this, and does it with zero turnovers

I look forward to next week at home against Cincy

I actually didn't feel much like it was a great game for Smith. Career day for stats aside, he missed McKissic for what should have been a TD. I thought he had another play or two that could have gone for TDs if they were placed a bit better.

His stats got pumped from getting so far behind in the first place. He isn't particularly at fault for that, but I can't recall if they rushed more than 5 times in the last quarter.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

I actually didn't feel much like it was a great game for Smith. Career day for stats aside, he missed McKissic for what should have been a TD. I thought he had another play or two that could have gone for TDs if they were placed a bit better.

His stats got pumped from getting so far behind in the first place. He isn't particularly at fault for that, but I can't recall if they rushed more than 5 times in the last quarter.

I must beckon you to look at the big picture.

When Smith was winning games for us, recall how he was criticized because, while he would win, he would win, ugly.

But Alex has now proven that he can lose, pretty.

So therefore ; Winning ugly, as well as losing pretty, shows he has taken the next leap, and can do it all

Where did this version of Alex Smith come from, the one who has thrown for over 700 yards the last 2 weeks, this week he eliminated the turnovers and had the team moving the ball all game.  There's something different about the way he has played the last couple of weeks, he looks likes he's attacking instead of sitting back and just taking the easy play.

I like this version of Alex.

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Where did this version of Alex Smith come from, the one who has thrown for over 700 yards the last 2 weeks, this week he eliminated the turnovers and had the team moving the ball all game.  There's something different about the way he has played the last couple of weeks, he looks likes he's attacking instead of sitting back and just taking the easy play.

I like this version of Alex.

This version is the “I almost died, being safe isn’t getting me another contract as I age, I need to do it differently”.

But he’s still hitting plenty of check downs and missing down field passes. But he is much more aggressive at times, too. Same dude, just not as risk averse. 

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Alex Smith morphing into Rex Grossman was something I didn't expect.  I'll take it because it is much more improved than the "we were 6-3" Alex in 2018.  We still won't win games from behind with him, but it's much more entertaining to watch.  

That point applies to the NY Giants game but not yesterday.  I still want to get a rookie young QB.  But by and large I liked how Alex played much more so the last 2 games then the 2018 version. 

I think part of the delusion about this team from Bruce and company was about an inflated view of that 2018 season.  That season we beat bad teams.  The only semi good win IMO was against a one legged Aaron Rodgers at the time.  We lost at home to Indy, were poised to lose at home to the Texans and got destoyed by Atlanta and NO.   We were 6-4 and should have been 5-5 if not for one of the flukiest wins in NFL history in Tampa.  They seemed to think they were close then.  But IMO they weren't.  They were so so.  

Smith ain’t getting his 19mil contract salary here in 2021. I think he’s playing for his place in the league elsewhere next season. 

Thought he played really well yesterday, would be disappointed if were on the roster in 2021 though on that contract. I’d sooner go with a first round rookie and Kyle Allen, and utilise the extra 14mil in cap space we can free up to bulk the roster up.

Alex looked soso in 2018 because Gruden refused to adjust the offense for him like he did for Josh Johnson later in the year.

This offense, with the mix of versatile pass catching backs, is a better fit for him. The passing yards are inflated due to the team playing from behind (Talib called it out that the Lions were playing zone most of the 2nd half until the end after playing man the 1st half) and what are usually run game yards being pass game yards (w all the checkdowns)

15 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Im sure he’ll be convinced he can play in the league in 2021. 

I think he's starting to convince the league that he can play in 2021, not just himself.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Alex looked soso in 2018 because Gruden refused to adjust the offense for him like he did for Josh Johnson later in the year.

This offense, with the mix of versatile pass catching backs, is a better fit for him. The passing yards are inflated due to the team playing from behind (Talib called it out that the Lions were playing zone most of the 2nd half until the end after playing man the 1st half) and what are usually run game yards being pass game yards (w all the checkdowns)

TheSubmittedOne posted a chart several weeks ago that showed the Skins' offensive plays and scheme were similar to what the Chiefs are running. Smith excelled there, so you could be right. Then again, the Chiefs may have changed their scheme in the years since Mahomes took over.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Smith ain’t getting his 19mil contract salary here in 2021. I think he’s playing for his place in the league elsewhere next season. 

Thought he played really well yesterday, would be disappointed if were on the roster in 2021 though on that contract. I’d sooner go with a first round rookie and Kyle Allen, and utilise the extra 14mil in cap space we can free up to bulk the roster up.

I won’t close the door on any scenario until the rest of the season plays out and we know our draft range and options.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera saying that Smith is on the table, for 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/rivera-alex-smith-has-proven-he-is-back-has-chance-to-be-the-guy-beyond-2020

"Possibly," Rivera said when asked if Smith could be Washington's man for the relative future... I think that he's proven that he's back as the player, and again, that's something that we're going to most certainly discuss going forward."

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Rivera saying that Smith is on the table, for 2021

https://www.nfl.com/news/rivera-alex-smith-has-proven-he-is-back-has-chance-to-be-the-guy-beyond-2020

"Possibly," Rivera said when asked if Smith could be Washington's man for the relative future... I think that he's proven that he's back as the player, and again, that's something that we're going to most certainly discuss going forward."

I really couldn’t see Smith as being anything more than a 1-2 year fix. And at 19mil salary I also think that prohibits the team retaining him. On a reduced deal, paired with Allen and a rookie QB, maybe. A distant maybe. 

Say if we wanted to trade back for a later round 1 or even day 2 QB, but even then Kyle Allen likely only costs a couple of million on his ERFA deal. 

Feels like Smith’s greatest strength to us right now is that his play in the short term is helping with the evaluation of the offence if I’m being honest. 

Archived