Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

25 minutes ago, method man said:

I believe they tried to IR him but he said he would protest it and the team would have to cut him if they tried to, meaning that he forced his way on to the active roster. Ron doesn't have to play him if he wants to

If that's accurate, it sounds more certain that we've seen the last of Smith on the field of a game, in the B&G.

The story was he went into Ron's office and told him he didn't want to be IRed because he wasn't inured.  The message was either release me or put me on the active roster.

And since they have to pay him anyway, and I believe they want him around Haskins, they decided just to suck it up and keep him on the roster.

I'd be really interested to see if he could still play. If he could, he's probably the best QB on the roster.  With a good defense, a "good" QB is all you need to win some games.

Shrug. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The story was he went into Ron's office and told him he didn't want to be IRed because he wasn't inured.  The message was either release me or put me on the active roster.

And since they have to pay him anyway, and I believe they want him around Haskins, they decided just to suck it up and keep him on the roster.

I'd be really interested to see if he could still play. If he could, he's probably the best QB on the roster.  With a good defense, a "good" QB is all you need to win some games.

Shrug. 

From a pure selfish fan perspective the the intrigue and overall fan value would be immense if Smith were to become the starter again this year. If it were meaningful games. 

Pre injury Alex is a perfect fit for this offense. 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

From a pure selfish fan perspective the the intrigue and overall fan value would be immense if Smith were to become the starter again this year. If it were meaningful games. 

Pre injury Alex is a perfect fit for this offense. 

Well, apart from the fact I think the top 5 QBs in the league (Brees, Brady, Rodgers, etc.) are a perfect fit for any offense, I agree.  Alex would operate the offense efficiently and get balls to the play makers, because they're really not asking the QB to do too much.  At least not yet.  

And I agree, that would be one hell of a comeback story and one hell of a human interest story.

The risk, however, is extremely high because I really don't want to see him writhing around in pain on the turf again.  

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hearing this, it makes me question if Foster is legitimately "hurt"

No, Foster was hurt.  He basically came out and said so in an interview that he wasn't fully recovered.  And the beat reports all said of what practice they could see, he had absolutely no explosion. I think Mitch said on the WFT Talk Pod that he jumped up for a ball and you might have been able to slide a piece of paper under him when he jumped, but that was about it.

I think the stories are very different.  Alex BELIEVES he can play again, and went in and basically said, "I'm not hurt.  I'm doing everything you're asking me to do.  You want me to take a hit?  Let's go.  I'll do it.  You can't put me on IR because I'm no longer injured.  If I'm not good enough, then cut me.  Or put me on the roster.  But don't IR me because I'm no longer injured."  That was the reporting anyway.

With Foster, he is hurt, he isn't recovered, and he needed to go on IR.

It's interesting with Smith.  You're paying him one way or another. So, if you're going to pay the guy $20m, and he showed you enough that you can't IR him, it probably makes sense to keep him on the roster rather than just outright cut him. You can get something for the money you're paying him.  Unless he's fully recovered, and Ron thinks he can go win a division with Alex, in which case, holy smokes that would be the story of the year.  And if they actually pulled it off?  Wow.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Alex would operate the offense efficiently and get balls to the play makers, because they're really not asking the QB to do too much.  At least not yet.  

“Perfect fit” made you uncomfortable lol I hear you, I’m not saying he’s come and wreck the league, but would be confident he would have the team in position to have a chance to win against teams 8-32 in the league in most games as he’s done for the last 7-8 years as a starter. 

And I agree, that would be one hell of a comeback story and one hell of a human interest story.

An all timer!!! 

The risk, however, is extremely high because I really don't want to see him writhing around in pain on the turf again.  

I get it, but never get caught up in stuff like this. A neuroscientist feels empathy for every player in the NFL. 

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No doubt in my mind he gets in this year now.

Wow.

IF Alex plays for us this year then the only possible ending to this story is that we win the SB, he's named MVP and goes to Disney World....and he takes with him his courageous head coach who battled cancer throughout the season. Could you imagine? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Alex can play and he's still soaking up the $20 mil paychecks, I'd be okay with letting him have it. Until I see it on the field, I doubt he's worse than Kyle Allen. Plus I'd love to watch a comeback story that's going to get turned into a melodrama movie.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

At the worst, I imagine he's just not a very mobile QB right now.

But neither was Haskins. But at least Smith could operate this offense better than Haskins.

If we truly want to win at all costs now, based on past performance,  Smith is our best option.

Alex immediately brings at least four things to the table we currently lack behind center— experience, poise, recognition, touch/anticipation. He also gives Turner a new toy in his toolbox— audibling at the line of scrimmage.

The doctors have cleared him to play and said he is not at risk for further injury. If you believe that start him; if you don’t, he shouldn’t be on the roster to begin with.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And if that does not happen ? Media will continue to bash us either way, so what's the gain or loss ? lol

If it doesn’t happen?  Well...maybe it is something the team can rally behind but I am utterly shocked that Smith would ever consider playing behind the offensive line we have in place.  I don’t blame him for wanting to play through his remaining contract and set his family up for life.  Personally, In my opinion I think the loss to gain potential heavily favors the loss.  Would the team finish .500 at best and finish with a mediocre draft pick and continue this perpetual bandaid fix we have had in place for the last twenty years?

Let me get back on track...I will support Alex Smith whether he plays or not but in good conscience I want him to walk away and retire for his and his family’s sake.

1 hour ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Am I alone in not wanting Alex to see the field at all??? I really don't want him getting hurt!

I used to feel that way but he's getting paid 20+ million a year and seems to want to play so put him out there. Evil Knievel kept getting back on the bike so Alex should get the chance too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Am I alone in not wanting Alex to see the field at all??? I really don't want him getting hurt!

I don’t get this sentiment.  Players get hurt every game, granted not to the degree of Smith’s injury but the potential is certainly there.  

You are actively watching players put themselves at risk of CTE which we have concluded can have potential life/death consequences but you’re willing to accept that.

Smith is a grown man with doctors providing him and the team with information regarding his ability to play.  He’s an NFL quarterback, why shouldn’t he play?

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Like 3