Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

22 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

I don’t get this sentiment.  Players get hurt every game, granted not to the degree of Smith’s injury.

You are actively watching players put themselves at risk of CTE which we have concluded can have potential life/death consequences but you’re willing to accept that.

Smith is a grown man with doctors providing him and the team with information regarding his ability to play.  He’s an NFL quarterback, why shouldn’t he play?

In addition, there seems to be a widespread belief or assumption that Smith is at a high risk of re-injury and/or re-infection to the same or worse degree as before, or even death, which I don't think is backed up by strong medical evidence.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2020 at 3:37 PM, Redskins Reparations said:

I am fine with Alex Smith running the practice squad but I don’t want any part of him actually playing in live games.  Can you imagine the media backlash if he re-injures the leg he had 14 surgeries on?  No thank you...the juice is not worth the squeeze.

I think Alex would beg to differ with you and it's his body/life. If the doctors have cleared him and he can still play then you play him. This is the NFL not middle school football. Alex is probably dying to play after all the work he put in. For guys like him it's in their blood......and screw the media. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I can’t work out if Smith is realistically seen as a viable option at QB, or whether we want to get him in the game to prove his health and maybe generate some mild offseason trade interest in him. 

I’d lean towards “realistically seen as a viable option” for the following reasons:

1. Rivera is in old school win now mode. You play hurt and you play hard while you’re hurt.

2. The doctors claim Alex’s leg is at no greater risk than before the injury.

3. Alex is clearly our best qb option IF he hasn’t lost either mobility or the courage to stand strong in the pocket under pressure. (no way to determine this until he plays)

4. Ron is a gambler and starting Alex Smith is the ultimate all in play.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I think Alex would beg to differ with you and it's his body/life. If the doctors have cleared him and he can still play then you play him. This is the NFL not middle school football. Alex is probably dying to play after all the work he put in. For guys like him it's in their blood......and screw the media. 

Modern medicine is truly amazing but I would prefer to avoid the franchise starting a QB recovering from this type of surgery:

672C2EA9-562F-4EEA-982C-F67E7382FE2E.jpeg.cc10b170bd7f325b85e2ff6f6b3786b6.jpeg

I am not doubting his competitive spirit. I expect that from from any professional athlete and I am sure he wants to prove all of his doubters wrong.  His leg certainly will never be operating at 100%.  I hope he proves me wrong and wins a Championship for Washington DC if given the opportunity to play!

Maybe I am just tired of the mediocrity over the past 25 years and prefer this franchise to build a team of core players through the draft and not continue this perpetual decision making of signing/trading for other teams castoffs.

1 hour ago, SkinsZombie said:

Give Alex a shot!

I was just about to compliment you on your new Zombie avatar and then I realized you aren’t my good old Zombie pun buddy.

You are a new Zombie from out of nowhere (welcome to the forum btw).

Any sane forum member has only one thing on their mind now——

HAS THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE COME TO EXTREMESKINS! ! Arrrgggghh...

XXXXXXXXXXX

11 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Modern medicine is truly amazing but I would prefer to avoid the franchise starting a QB recovering from this type of surgery:

672C2EA9-562F-4EEA-982C-F67E7382FE2E.jpeg.cc10b170bd7f325b85e2ff6f6b3786b6.jpeg

I am not doubting his competitive spirit. I expect that from from any professional athlete and I am sure he wants to prove all of his doubters wrong.  His leg certainly will never be operating at 100%.  I hope he proves me wrong and wins a Championship for Washington DC if given the opportunity to play!

Maybe I am just tired of the mediocrity over the past 25 years and prefer this franchise to build a team of core players through the draft and not continue this perpetual decision making of signing/trading for other teams castoffs.

What is a human being truly capable of doing?

What are the upper limits of imagination, science and iron will?

I don’t know.

What I do know is that we do things routinely each and every day that past generations would consider miraculous.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

I don't care if the leg completely pops off midgame. He worked his ass off to get back into football shape and he can play. He's clearly the best QB on the team. Dudes a straight beast of a competitor. This isn't a concussion and he's gone full retard, he's a bad ass athlete and if he is cleared, let my Alex go!.....on the field and play. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stoshuaj said:

You are actively watching players put themselves at risk of CTE which we have concluded can have potential life/death consequences but you’re willing to accept that.

Not sure where I ever said that I accept that. On the contrary you can see where I wished Jordan Reed would retire before he did any permanent damage. I love watching football, not watching grown men permanently maiming themselves.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Not sure where I ever said that I accept that. On the contrary you can see where I wished Jordan Reed would retire before he did any permanent damage. I love watching football, not watching grown men permanently maiming themselves.

You can’t know if Reed or any other player didn’t already have some type of permanent damage, physical or mental, seen or unseen from his very first concussion.  History tells you that by watching football you ARE watching grown men maim themselves.  It’s a risk that all players take and you implicitly accept as a fan.

Edited by stoshuaj

8 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

You can’t know if Reed or any other player doesn’t already have some type of permanent damage, physical or mental, seem or unseen.  History tells you that by watching football you ARE watching grown men maim themselves.  It’s a risk that all players take and you implicitly accept

I have a lot of hope for the newer generations of football that are being taught more about CTE. Concussions happen in football, and other sports, but the encouraging part is the training and attention concussions are getting now. There has been an emphasis for a few years now, and the guys that have been recently coming into the league likely have taken much less damage than people in the past.

Its still there, of course. And we need to continue to be vigilant about it. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I have a lot of hope for the newer generations of football that are being taught more about CTE. Concussions happen in football, and other sports, but the encouraging part is the training and attention concussions are getting now. There has been an emphasis for a few years now, and the guys that have been recently coming into the league likely have taken much less damage than people in the past.

Its still there, of course. And we need to continue to be vigilant about it. 

Absolutely agree and hope this is the case.  Using that as one of many available examples players getting maimed while playing the game.

That was more of a response to the sentiment that Smith shouldn’t play because he may get hurt.  There is a relative certainty that there will be another player get “Theismaned” or “”Smithed” again.  Unless we are being completely naive, we as fans, and the players, accept that.

Not that we have any actual say in the matter, and of course no one WANTS to see anyone get hurt but obviously Smith, his doctors, and the team have at least some confidence that he can play.

(not that you were saying he shouldn’t play moreso adding to my previous post)

Edited by stoshuaj
  • Thanks 1

This can work out quite well actually.

Smith leads us to the playoffs.

We may be out of the tanking sweepstakes, but that's okay.

We can take a decent QB later in the 1st or a round thereafter.

He'll be a bit of a project, but that's okay. We still have Alex under contract to be our QB next year, while he helps groom that project.

• Jonathan Allen on the QB situation: "Alex Smith is a pro's pro. Honestly, I have high expectations for the people on this team and organization. Alex is a prime example of guys with high expectations, not only from the team but of themselves. I'd be more surprised if he didn't come back from the injury, just knowing the kind of player he is and the personality he has and the kind of work ethic he has. So, I'm not surprised at all. If he needed to play, he could definitely do it. He could do it at a high level and I have all the faith in him."

Got to admit I love me some Jonathan Allen. Favourite player on the roster.

21 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

The rationale for playing Smith is that he gives the Team the best chance to evaluate and train the players while implementing and experimenting with the game plan.

That's kind of how I see it as well.

if you know for sure Haskins(and Allen as well I guess)aren't the future, but you need to evaluate the rest of the offense, you play the veteran who you know can at least operate the system with some professional level play. Then you know for sure if the OL is any good, or any of the other WRs(obviously McLaurin is a stud).