Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

LOL someone on twitter claimed that “the whole reason why he hasn’t retired is because if he does, he will surrender millions of dollars from the contract he has thru the team”

I don't know about the crazy person on Twitter but I do believe he would lose over $30M if he retired this year (remaining guaranteed money).

That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

• Like 1

Just now, JSSkinz said:

I don't know about the crazy person on Twitter but I do believe he would lose over $30M if he retired this year (remaining guaranteed money).

That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

I thought I’ve seen people on here saying he gets $30M no matter what. 

So one thing that I think has been somewhat lost, or maybe remains unanswered, with regard to Alex's medical situation is whether he stands a greater risk now of re-breaking the leg.  What I mean by that is, we all know that he has been "cleared to play" by both his personal medical team and the the Team's medical staff.  Normally when you receive "clearance" to play after a significant bone or tendon injury, your physician will give some sort of look ahead prognosis, i.e. that your repaired right knee is now 95% of the strength of your opposing/healthy left knee.  Or in the case of a bone break, that the x-rays reveal that the site of the fracture is 100% the strength of the area prior to the break (or sometimes even higher, because healed bone can be stronger).

With regard to Alex, I'm wondering if his medical team has given him any indication of the strength of that leg, as compared to pre-injury (or perhaps compared to his left leg).  I know he has a titanium rod inserted in his leg as well, but can that really prevent, or is it even meant to prevent, re-injury?  It's at least possible that he's been told that the limb is weaker, and that he stands a moderate risk of a re-fracture, but he's capable of performing normal football activities.

If/when Alex Smith gets full contact on that leg and if/when he feels any cause for concern whatsoever and if/when he will probably shake it off and pretend it didn't happen the man deserves whatever happens after that. He is flat out nuts to even try this. It reminds me of daredevils in various activities who inevitably suffer serious injury or worse. Its all on Alex and whatever happens there should be no sympathy whatsoever. On top of that, like a radio talk show host said the other day, if Alex Smith becomes the starting QB for the Washington Football Team, they are in even more serious trouble. So the question is, other than satisfying some need that Alex Smith has to prove something that does not need to be proved to anyone, what is the upside to him putting on the pads again?

28 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

If/when Alex Smith gets full contact on that leg and if/when he feels any cause for concern whatsoever and if/when he will probably shake it off and pretend it didn't happen the man deserves whatever happens after that. He is flat out nuts to even try this. It reminds me of daredevils in various activities who inevitably suffer serious injury or worse. Its all on Alex and whatever happens there should be no sympathy whatsoever. On top of that, like a radio talk show host said the other day, if Alex Smith becomes the starting QB for the Washington Football Team, they are in even more serious trouble. So the question is, other than satisfying some need that Alex Smith has to prove something that does not need to be proved to anyone, what is the upside to him putting on the pads again?

So to try to answer your thoughts here:

(1) If Alex becomes the starting QB over Haskins, that's an indictment of Haskins.  I cannot see Rivera starting Alex unless Haskins is truly so bad that he forces his hand.

(2) If Alex breaks his leg again, I agree its on him.  Still don't want to see it happen though, and I will have sympathy for him.  If his doctor has told him that the right leg is 100% the strength of his left leg, does that really make him nuts for trying? 

(3) What does Alex have to gain?  The man was pretty good NFL quarterback before the injury, and it follow that he should be a pretty good one still is his movement is not severely restricted.  The man wants to play football, and he has every right to try to until someone tells him he longer has a job.  If the Redskins don't want to deal with it, they don't have to.  The pay for him is going to be the same whether he's cut or on the roster this year. 

(4) Personally, I'm inspired by him.  As a former athlete and someone who has been forced to recover from significant illness and injury, his comeback against these once "impossible" odds gives us all a view of the drive it takes to overcome circumstances that appear to be insurmountable.  In an age where we see so many professional athletes whose careers go south due to lack of conditioning, trouble off the field, losing their motivation because they have millions in the bank, and just generally forgetting why they got into the sport to begin with, its refreshing to see a guy that is motivated simply by the chance that he'll get to play ball again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think he will adapt, in order to protect himself.

It's pretty clear that if anyone can defy the odds, Alex Smith can.

It troubles me knowing  the medical side of the risk equation that either side would take it.  He's a rich man.  Big family man and I just hope he doesn't push his luck too far and lose his leg. Not interested in that movie. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 8:50 PM, SlinginSammy HOF '63 said:

Watching the Alex Smith E60 episode on ESPN right now. I had no idea it got that bad.

Neither did I until I saw it. That's why I'm stunned got cleared. I mean they literally had to rebuild his lower leg. I didn't even know muscle grafts were a thing.

Per ESPN : An entire team of medical doctors told Smith that the risk of re-injury was low.

"West and Smith's team of doctors told Smith and his wife, Elizabeth, he was cleared. They told him the risk of reinjuring his leg was low."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29861975/i-just-want-try-how-alex-smith-completed-comeback-washington-roster

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Per ESPN : An entire team of medical doctors told Smith that the risk of re-injury was low.

"West and Smith's team of doctors told Smith and his wife, Elizabeth, he was cleared. They told him the risk of reinjuring his leg was low."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29861975/i-just-want-try-how-alex-smith-completed-comeback-washington-roster

Did his team of doctors see the cider spray/flip flops video, though?...

• 4 weeks later...

So can anyone explain to me what Alex Smith's status actually is right now.   Has he been "fully cleared" to return to football activities, including contact and actual games?  If so, how is he at least not #2 on the depth chart by now?  Are the coaches purposely taking things very slow with him for now?

I am just a bit confused as far as him being cleared medically, but seemingly still a ghost taking a roster spot.