Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity


Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I wonder what exactly Rivera means when he says, that if healthy, Smith "becomes part of the equation".


I think Rivera is simply being polite and respectful towards Smith. 

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 2:16 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Interesting that. We did/do have that reported 12mil insurance policy on Smith, but wouldn’t that only become payable if he couldn’t play again? Or could we claim that back against our costs incurred when he was injured....don’t know.

The insurance is a payment to the insured beneficiary in the case of an injury to offset the losses from the contract.  Both sides take out insurance in case of catastrophic loss.  What that means is they will cut him and make money.   As well, Smith will make more money.  For Smith, he had to abide by the good faith requirements in the contract to rehab and attempt to get back on the field.  If he didn't, the team could have waived him for breach and ultimately forced him to retire and return portions of the signing bonus.  So, hero or not, Smith had to diligently rehab and always say he was planning on playing again or he would not have gotten all that money.  Now, he rehabbed and said all the right things and his Dr's cleared him.  Team Dr's won't likely do that as both sides knew what the plan was and this is where they both get paid by their insurance policies at the end.  He doesn't even have to stay on the PUP very long.  If he goes out and jogs around and throws some passes, then in a live drill where it's full pass rush and blocking for everyone else but two hand touch on the QB, they put on tape that he can't avoid hits or isn't mobile in the pocket to defend himself, it's over.  That's what will happen most likely IMO. 

 

From:  https://riggosrag.com/2020/02/26/with-62-million-in-cap-space-should-the-redskins-cut-alex-smith/

 

The Smith contract can get complicated.  But here are the basics:

  • Smith has a cap hit of $21.4 million in 2020
  • If they cut Smith in 2020, they will absorb $32.2 million in dead cap for 2020 (I’ll get to this number below, don’t let it scare you)
  • Smith has a cap hit of $24.4 million in 2021
  • If they cut Smith in 2021, they will absorb $10.8 million in dead cap for 2021
  • If Smith fails his physical in 2020, his salary is fully guaranteed for injury, but the Redskins can recoup approximately $12 million in future cap credits from an insurance policy
  • If Smith passes his physical and he’s cleared to play in 2020, his 2020 cap number is $21.4 million

 

The KEY here is 'and cleared to play'. 

Edited by TheShredder
Cap implications
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So does anyone know what exactly is happening right now at camp as it relates to Alex?  I know camp isn't open to the public, but is there any word on what he is actually doing physically right now other than playing around on the sideline doing unspecified drills?  Any word on what it will take to remove him from the PUP list so that he can practice with the rest of the team?

 

 

Rivera has said some encouraging things about him recently (he'll be in the mix at QB, etc.).  I don't think he would be talking about Alex the way he has recently if he has no intention of ever letting him off the PUP list, and this was just a big show.  That would be way too "Redskins 2008 to 2019" to fly with the fans, and I don't think Ron would agree to get on board with that type of B.S. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

So does anyone know what exactly is happening right now at camp as it relates to Alex?  I know camp isn't open to the public, but is there any word on what he is actually doing physically right now other than playing around on the sideline doing unspecified drills?  Any word on what it will take to remove him from the PUP list so that he can practice with the rest of the team?

 

 

Rivera has said some encouraging things about him recently (he'll be in the mix at QB, etc.).  I don't think he would be talking about Alex the way he has recently if he has no intention of ever letting him off the PUP list, and this was just a big show.  That would be way too "Redskins 2008 to 2019" to fly with the fans, and I don't think Ron would agree to get on board with that type of B.S. 

Straight up cutting him is probably the worse thing from Team perspective.  Best alternative would likely be able to keep him on PUP so we could put him on rs PUP and get a third QB who uses no roster space until later in the season (this assumes he can learn the system with no physical work, would have no problem with the strategy himself and is actually ready to go). Now, maybe another team will panic and we'll get a sweetheart deal. Unfortunately, unless it is for injury reasons, him straight up winning the number one spot is not something we'd want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Elizabeth Smith (Alex’s wife) posted an Instagram video tonight of their family celebrating something of Alex Smith, and said “lots to celebrate tonight”. What’s that about, did he get cleared for contact tonight and it’ll be reported tomorrow? 

 

Let's hope so. This team needs a professional quarterback right now.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say, I feel like this is stupid. Good for Alex for working hard and coming back but he was mediocre when he was here and we do not owe him anything. 
 

This is just going to turn out bad one way or another. I do not want to see him under center and wish we would just put him on IR until we can release him. It just doesn’t make sense to even consider it or worry about him in regards to playing football for this team. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I have to say, I feel like this is stupid. Good for Alex for working hard and coming back but he was mediocre when he was here and we do not owe him anything. 
 

This is just going to turn out bad one way or another. I do not want to see him under center and wish we would just put him on IR until we can release him. It just doesn’t make sense to even consider it or worry about him in regards to playing football for this team. 

Sure, the team doesn’t owe him anything, meaning the 100% starting job. They don’t even owe him the opportunity to try to earn the starting job. The team isn’t doing any of this because they feel they owe him anything. They’re doing it because it’s a nice thing to do. 
 

He’s been working hard, why not allow him to COMPETE for the starting job? There’s no harm in that. Or even letting him compete for the backup spot, Incase haskins goes down for any length of time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I have to say, I feel like this is stupid. Good for Alex for working hard and coming back but he was mediocre when he was here and we do not owe him anything. 
 

This is just going to turn out bad one way or another. I do not want to see him under center and wish we would just put him on IR until we can release him. It just doesn’t make sense to even consider it or worry about him in regards to playing football for this team. 

 

Your logic is sound, but that's not how we do things round these parts...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL some moron on Instagram is saying this news is a couple weeks old, because “he was cleared by his medical/surgical team before, who is paid by Danny boy, then the skins gave him the green light which is when this announcement came out...hence it was late breaking news”. 

 

moron says “it was a given that he was coming back. Old news, just official now”.

 

LOLOLOLOL good god. I cant. I just can’t!!

HOW do these morons dress themselves.....??????

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

LOL some moron on Instagram is saying this news is a couple weeks old, because “he was cleared by his medical/surgical team before, who is paid by Danny boy, then the skins gave him the green light which is when this announcement came out...hence it was late breaking news”. 

 

moron says “it was a given that he was coming back. Old news, just official now”.

 

LOLOLOLOL good god. I cant. I just can’t!!

HOW do these morons dress themselves.....??????

Cant what?..cant go a day without calling someone a moron?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Cant what?..cant go a day without calling someone a moron?

If a person is being a moron, and ignoring all facts/evidence, I’m going to call the person out for being a moron. I have zero patience for idiots on twitter or instagram (here on ES nobody’s an idiot so I don’t feel the need to do that here). It’s clear that this person on Instagram is being a moron 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Alex, it's an incredible, incredible story, but that really complicates things, doesn't it? (It's also a reminder of what a complete dip**** Bruce Allen is. I know I've said that a lot here, but I just don't feel it can be said enough. Bruce Allen is a complete dip****.)

 

Smith is a Snyder favorite so releasing him seems remote. He's also a great mentor--listen to Mahomes talk about Smith. His contract is idiotic. The kind of contract only a complete dip**** would offer.  If they release him this year, it's $32m on the books in 2020, and nothing in 2021? As opposed to holding onto him this year and cutting him next, it's 21.4 this year and 10.8 next? Did I read that right? Someone with more cap understanding/knowledge know how that sets us up for this year and next?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

If a person is being a moron, and ignoring all facts/evidence, I’m going to call the person out for being a moron. I have zero patience for idiots on twitter or instagram (here on ES nobody’s an idiot so I don’t feel the need to do that here). It’s clear that this person on Instagram is being a moron 🤷🏻‍♂️

You are so full of it...you mean to tell me you dont come here read some of my posts and walk away thinking this bakedtater1 dude is a moron?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping Alex Smith on the team would probably be the only decision that I have disagreed with from them this year.  Cut him, take the full hit this year and move on. Alex still gets paid, its a win/win. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...