Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Did you see that video of him with his family? He still has a limp. There is no way this is a competition. Smith ain't playing anytime soon. Its just coach speak.

Yeah he’s taking up a valuable roster spot in a world with covid for show 

come on. We might not think he should play but the folks whose opinions matter have spoken pretty clearly 

ThIs still shot (From ESPN) from the video alone - his lower leg - is noteworthy. 

As a physical therapist, there was altered gait in his first step going down the stairs, and the subsequent pivot step. He was favoring it. Its slight but evident.

Im not going to dismiss any doctors judgments. But I’m not very hopeful after seeing that video.

But I definitely want to acknowledge his rehab/work, courage, passion, and determination/drive. What an inspiration!!

B747DC93-7781-4E70-9821-709F998CDA5D.png

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Learned something from another twitter moron today.... apparently it’s “felt like 5 years” since smith last played. When i tried correcting the moron, he said “how you gonna tell me how much time it’s felt like to me? You look like you have your cereal with energy drinks”. 

why are people morons? Why? WHY

its because you’re too literal and exact 

27 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Between poor performance, football injuries, and the Rona, I think all 3 QBs will start at some point 

I’m mentally preparing for Trevor Lawrence 

I’d mentally prepare for this but then I’d just get my hopes up. Lawrence is too good for us 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm imagining. But I can't imagine what free agent is out there right now, that's worth targeting with that extra money.

Who did you have in mind ?

You free that money so you take the hit this year and not next year, not necessarily about opening cap space.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

his lower leg - is noteworthy. 

Absolutely noteworthy. The leg will never really gain its original shape so that video is the reality of the situation. Being taken off the PUP list by the team is indeed interesting. It says the team believes he has gained full strength in his leg as well as the ability to run and take hits on that leg. We'll see. I hope the best for him.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm imagining. But I can't imagine what free agent is out there right now, that's worth targeting with that extra money.

Who did you have in mind ?

Could easily roll it over. Won’t happen though.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

As a physical therapist, there was altered gait in his first step going down the stairs, and the subsequent pivot step. He was favoring it. Its slight but evident.

Im not going to dismiss any doctors judgments. But I’m not very hopeful after seeing that video.

I noticed it too. It was concerning to me. I really don't want to see him get hurt! I would love for him to take Haskins under his wrong like he did with Mahomes and be a backup. I tell you what though. If I was a lineman and he was my quarterback, no one, and I mean no one, would come through me to him.

3 hours ago, dyst said:

You free that money so you take the hit this year and not next year, not necessarily about opening cap space.

We are not cutting smith and taking the hit all in one year.

Cutting him this year would be a 32 million dead cap hit. We have about 31 in cap space available. We need money to be able to pivot during the season. Cutting smith and eating it in 1 yr means you have to cut someone else for operational money availability.

If your going to spread the cost over several years, there is no reason to cut him this year, especially in a Covid environment.

The only reasonable outcomes are to trade him this year, or cut/trade him next year. Any other outcome would be a grave mistake (Zombie pun)

21 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I literally thought the same thing lol. We need to get that thing out of there quick otherwise we're looking at 0-16. 

It’s from last year. Wanna know how to tell? Cause press conferences/locker room interviews are virtual due to COVID-19. 

• Haha 3

There is no future with Alex.  We aren't going to win **** with him.  If he beats out Dwayne; then Dwayne is a bust.  We are drafting the franchise in 2021.  If Alex lands into the starting role and doesn't get reinjured; he's a short term stopgap and nothing more.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Then why did Chris Russell state tonight : "A quick recap from Sunday if you missed Alex Smith returning to practice & names." ???

He said on Twitter in a response to someone that the video is indeed from last year (December). Smith probably just hasn’t had an interview with the media yet, so that’s the one he picked. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It’s from last year. Wanna know how to tell? Cause press conferences/locker room interviews are virtual due to COVID-19. 

Damn, I feel like a moron for not even thinking of that. I wonder if the ping pong table will ever make a comeback. 

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

We are not cutting smith and taking the hit all in one year.

Cutting him this year would be a 32 million dead cap hit. We have about 31 in cap space available. We need money to be able to pivot during the season. Cutting smith and eating it in 1 yr means you have to cut someone else for operational money availability.

If your going to spread the cost over several years, there is no reason to cut him this year, especially in a Covid environment.

The only reasonable outcomes are to trade him this year, or cut/trade him next year. Any other outcome would be a grave mistake (Zombie pun)

While cutting him would result in $32M dead cap, it would only reduce the cap by $8M. About $24M is already counted in the CAP.  

So no need to cut anyone. You have $23M cap left.  I would cut him and take the hit now.  Get him off the roster unless Maybe he is willing to be the backup and help develop Haskins.  

Playing Alex just kicks the can down the road at best.  It creates a mess at worst.  Need to get that contract off the books for 2021. 

And Haskins needs every chance to make it.  And that means playing real games. Anything else and you may as well release him now.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I didn't even think about covid and social distancing.  I noticed the Redskins stuff about the lockers and wondered why that was still up.  Had I been even more observant, I would have noticed the lady in the turtleneck sweater and that would have been a dead give-away it wasn't a current interview.

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

While cutting him would result in $32M dead cap, it would only reduce the cap by $8M. About $24M is already counted in the CAP.  

So no need to cut anyone. You have $23M cap left.  I would cut him and take the hit now.  Get him off the roster unless Maybe he is willing to be the backup and help develop Haskins.  

Playing Alex just kicks the can down the road at best.  It creates a mess at worst.  Need to get that contract off the books for 2021. 

And Haskins needs every chance to make it.  And that means playing real games. Anything else and you may as well release him now.  

The cap is complicated but so is his leg.  If he gets hurt again, they can't cut him without an injury settlement...otherwise he stays on the books.  The risk far outweighs the reward with Haskins maturing as has been the case.  I wouldn't mind him hanging around as a mentor this year. 

image.thumb.png.0974f274e6d54fc561f950c8cbf2d976.png

Edited by TheShredder
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Playing Alex just kicks the can down the road at best.

He's not playing, don't worry about it.

in case you missed it....

Quarterback Alex Smith indeed returned to practice Sunday, although it's going to be a little while before he's able to participate in full-team work. Even though Smith was activated off the PUP list Sunday, he'll still be limited as the team eases him back into drills. They had just reached a point after two weeks where they need to see how he handles being in a pocket when the play goes off-schedule and when he has to react. It could still be some time before they put him in such a situation, but until then any talk about him seriously challenging for the starting job will be muted. -- John Keim

What will Smith look like outside the pocket....

GlennonOopsLol.gif

Edited by TheShredder
21 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

He's not playing, don't worry about it.

in case you missed it....

Quarterback Alex Smith indeed returned to practice Sunday, although it's going to be a little while before he's able to participate in full-team work. Even though Smith was activated off the PUP list Sunday, he'll still be limited as the team eases him back into drills. They had just reached a point after two weeks where they need to see how he handles being in a pocket when the play goes off-schedule and when he has to react. It could still be some time before they put him in such a situation, but until then any talk about him seriously challenging for the starting job will be muted. -- John Keim

Edit

I may have not been clear but mine was more of a philosophical comment than actually thinking he could play. It was in response to the CAP discussion. My main point was the best thing to do is release him and get that contract off the books. I was augmenting that point by saying IF they were to play him (not making any assumptions about his ability) it would not help the team long term. It would just kick the QB decision down the street. 

I like Alex as a person. And I commend him for getting healthy enough to even consider playing again. But I also remember Joe T after his broken leg. Joe G gave him a shot and he had nothing. So I am not surprised that Alex looked poor. If it were not for the contract, it would be a no brainer to release him. If it were me, I would try to work something out to bring him back as a coach. 

I guess we will see soon. 

I give him tons of credit for rehabbing and all that he has done.  I suspect he will play at some point during the season if Haskins or Allen gets injured.  Then he can try

to sign with another team in 2023.  He made an absolute fortune with 49ers, Kansas City and the Redskins.  So clearly money is not what is motivating him to play.   I think he

also has a photographic memory so he is very smart and he could be working now for a business or in the front office of any NFL team.  I guess he just did not want

to leave the game on a sour note.  So many players find it difficult to leave when their time is up because football is the only thing they have ever done.