Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

Hats off to Jay for continuing on and not going nuclear on the front office. How does that happen in a professional organization?

That's how Doofus Dan has done things since 2000.

He signed Jeff George when Norv didn't want him. He probably signed all of those dudes in 2000 without consulting with anyone other than Vinny the Clown.

The pissed off fan base effected him so much that he hired Marty and gave him complete control who fired even his racquetball partner.

But he couldn't handle it. So he fired Marty because he wouldn't let him do those things anymore. Even though he was obviously turning the team around.

He hired Spurrier paying him so much more than other coaches made that other teams hated him by that point. Then decided that the overpaid coach shouldn't get to choose his own QB. Cutting some and drafting Ramsey who got destroyed behind a garbage OL with no help. Maybe Spurrier was trying to prove a point. Oh and Trotter! 

I'm sure that a bunch of the dumber ideas under Gibbs came from our imbecile as well (Archuleta/Saunders) but no actual proof but all those moronic signings and draft picks with Zornalicious coaching tell a story, right? I mean, from what I remember the coaches didn't want Jason Taylor and Haynesworth didn't want to play the position. Oh and the brilliant drafting of Thomas, Davis, and the Comb.

Then Shanahan, McNugget, RGme, etc.

Mccloughan thrown out there as a front, and Bumbling Bruce playing human shield for him for almost a decade. ( Too bad they didn't ask Gruden about the Haskins or Collins story)

Now it's Ron's turn. He probably wanted to draft a QB in his first year (because the DL was the most stacked piece of the team by far), kind of like they did in his first year in Carolina but Demented Danny let him know that Haskins was definitely a future Pro Bowl QB.

Hopefully the nightmare will be over soon. No guarantees.

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Agreed.

It's coaching malpractice not to know ALL of the potential playoff options.

For one thing knowing you can be eliminated may and should make it more likely you give a faltering qb (Wentz) an early hook rather than holding on hoping he gets into a groove.

In fact, Gibbs 1.0 would address playoff implications openly on the granular level in team meetings using overhead projector diagrams (this was the 80's) that gave a clear visual representation of all possibilities.

He wanted the players to know not only what was at stake if they won, but exactly the predicament they would be in if they lost.

I certainly find it odd that Rivera didn't know the playoff scenarios. And it's an easy target for anyone to criticize him on. That said, it should have zero effect on the actual game or the coaching there of. Washington needed to win the Cleveland game, period. With a loss, Seattle, Detroit, and Green Bay could all have passed Washington (and they did). And betting on all of them to lose in Week 18 (which was impossible due to Detroit and Green Bay playing each other) just to have a shot at the playoffs is no real "plan". So basically the scenarios didn't matter, Washington was always playing to win out. Anything else was just hoping for some luck.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan opining this morning that Dan is so incompetent that its possible that he botches the process of selling.  Not sure how you can botch a sale.  but to Sheehan's point, yeah Dan botches everything.

The Banks, Lawyers and the NFL won’t allow that. This isn’t Dan courting Albert Haynesworth at a steakhouse. Real professionals are at the table doing the work.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well a couple of weeks ago, it was Erick Flowers was the big loss. Then people realized he was almost 400 lbs and out of football. Then Settle and Ioannidis. Then people realized they were mediocre rotational players. Now, Scherff (currently a 58.4 PFF grade) and Deandre Carter (61.6...and who would he play over? Dotson? Samuel?) would lead us to the playoffs?

Can people please do a smidgeon of research and before pounding the keyboard about Reverse Ashburn Syndrome cases?

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts sometimes. I can't necessarily comment on every personnel move, but it's fair to look at the performance of the team since Rivera took over football operations and say that his moves have been uninspiring overall. 

The offensive line has been a disaster. Quote individual PFF grades all you want, but if you look at the OL he inherited vs. the projected starting line now, it's a downgrade. He hasn't solved QB, which is excusable because most teams struggle there. But, the DL has been significantly thinned out and the best players are inherited. I would argue the only place he's infused talent is WR (as you mentioned) and S. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jericho said:

I certainly find it odd that Rivera didn't know the playoff scenarios. And it's an easy target for anyone to criticize him on. That said, it should have zero effect on the actual game or the coaching there of. Washington needed to win the Cleveland game, period. With a loss, Seattle, Detroit, and Green Bay could all have passed Washington (and they did). And betting on all of them to lose in Week 18 (which was impossible due to Detroit and Green Bay playing each other) just to have a shot at the playoffs is no real "plan". So basically the scenarios didn't matter, Washington was always playing to win out. Anything else was just hoping for some luck.

I see your point. I don't think anyone is arguing (I'm certainly not) that you would hold back and just "wait to win until week 18" or anything like that. And, the way things panned out, him not knowing the scenario likely didn't impact a thing. But it COULD have. That's the point. If the team had fallen behind by 24 with 8 minutes to play and COULD be eliminated, you might coach differently than you would if you COULD NOT be eliminated. You might change QBs. You might pull starters. 

It's an extreme example, but look at the Titans/Jags situation in week 17 and 18. Neither team played a game that had any impact on their season in week 17. They both knew (hopefully) that the only game left that mattered in the standings was their week 18 game vs. one another. Imagine something similar here (maybe a little more obscure) and Rivera gets McLaurin or someone else hurt chasing a 3-score deficit in the 4th quarter because "well, I just figured we'd come back and win this week and not worry about the rest of it" or something. 

It's asinine. 

24 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

The offensive line has been a disaster. Quote individual PFF grades all you want, but if you look at the OL he inherited vs. the projected starting line now, it's a downgrade. He hasn't solved QB, which is excusable because most teams struggle there. But, the DL has been significantly thinned out and the best players are inherited. I would argue the only place he's infused talent is WR (as you mentioned) and S. 

Sheehan summed it up well for me today.  It's a good roster right now but needs the key spot which isn't an easy find.  But Rivera sinking at the end of the season, makes questioning him coming back, on the table.   As I've said before I actually like (not love) the personnel moves for the most part, culture building is a plus too, I think his weakness has been in game play calling-clock mangement, etc. 

IMO this is the best defense we've had since Gregg Williams .  Even players who played in that Gregg Williams defense agree on that point.

D line is actually better IMO than before.  Ridgeway has emerged.  Obada ended up better than Settle. Toolhill is a good backup.  And this is with them losing Mathis for the season.

With Jamin i'd say LB is better than before.

Secondary better.  Danny Johnson emerging.  St. Juste is good.  Darrick Forrest is good.

The offense.

RBs -- better

WR -- way better.

O line -- sucks.  Was good the first two years and fell apart this year.

QB -- sucks.

If he's coming back, and i think he is and I am a new owner inheriting him, its sink or swim on those spots.  I don't blame a FO for swinging and missing at QB but there is a limit of it for me where I am ready for someone else to take a swing.  

I think though Ron is a moot point.  I'd be very surprised if a new owner keeps him more than a year regardless of what happens

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The new owner needs to move on from all the Snyder hires as soon as it’s feasibly possible.

Keeping the Snyder stench will just delay in turning things around.

If by some miracle the team could be sold and sale approved by the SuperBowl; we could still clean house this year instead of 24. 

• Like 3

I just dont want a throw a season where we are essentially just twiddling our thumbs possibly with a guy whos actions could hurt the future with extremely short sighted moves. It would be a real shame to throw away 2-3 years of the first few years of a new Ownership lead regime because the last guy who was a lame duck to begin with mucks it all up. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

The new owner needs to move on from all the Snyder hires as soon as it’s feasibly possible.

The Front office can be done entirely this year which is good. Even if the guy isnt in place until Feb-March he can still hire a GM for the season. Im sure the league is doing everything in their power to have a list of names ready to go for the guy if he hasnt already been talking to people around the league to begin with. 

Ron either relinquishes control or he steps down. I think he steps down. You can clearly see a fatigue to him. You have the New GM in place for most of the offseason. He leads the draft and then after the FO gets gutted while the new GM rebuilds under a proper FO hierarchy. The coaching staff is there on an interim basis. 

Everything new by January 2024. IMO its paramount that Ron not lead this offseason with short term wins in focus. The transition should be all about the future and setting it up for the best possible path. I personally want as clean of a slate as possible. As many Draft picks as possible. As much cap space as possible. As much of the roster open as possible. Build it correct under the new staff. If that means losing some guys that people like now? So be it. We'll find more later and probably better.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

The Front office can be done entirely this year which is good. Even if the guy isnt in place until Feb-March he can still hire a GM for the season. Im sure the league is doing everything in their power to have a list of names ready to go for the guy if he hasnt already been talking to people around the league to begin with. 

Ron either relinquishes control or he steps down. I think he steps down. You can clearly see a fatigue to him. You have the New GM in place for most of the offseason. He leads the draft and then after the FO gets gutted while the new GM rebuilds under a proper FO hierarchy. The coaching staff is there on an interim basis. 

Everything new by January 2024. IMO its paramount that Ron not lead this offseason with short term wins in focus. The transition should be all about the future and setting it up for the best possible path. I personally want as clean of a slate as possible. As many Draft picks as possible. As much cap space as possible. As much of the roster open as possible. Build it correct under the new staff. If that means losing some guys that people like now? So be it. We'll find more later and probably better.

If Carolina and Denver are comps, both teams kept around their existing GMs after new ownership took over. Ron likely has personnel control written into his contract and does not have to relinquish it and I don’t think he gets fired either unless somehow the sale is completed by early Feb.

Your only hope is the new owner is talking with Sean Payton who is assembling a staff together and that staff is soft assembled even if it means waiting until March to come together. In your scenario, you have to hope the personnel guy (Ireland?) is also assembling a team of lieutenants who are evaluating FA and the draft and will be ready to roll

Also ironic that Payton and Rivera were briefly teammates on the Bears in the 80s

Edited by method man

Tepper was May 22nd. Waltons were August. Very different time frame where it seems to be march at the latest right now. They also have the ability to fast track if they really want to. Theyll fly together or hell vote over Zoom to get dan out as soon as possible. 

Also I just really want a GM over anything else right now with power to make all decisions football wise. No Harbaugh. No Payton. No more HCs with control. Tired of the season to season planning.

Edited by Zim489
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan summed it up well for me today.  It's a good roster right now but needs the key spot which isn't an easy find.  But Rivera sinking at the end of the season, makes questioning him coming back, on the table.   As I've said before I actually like (not love) the personnel moves for the most part, culture building is a plus too, I think his weakness has been in game play calling-clock mangement, etc. 

IMO this is the best defense we've had since Gregg Williams .  Even players who played in that Gregg Williams defense agree on that point.

D line is actually better IMO than before.  Ridgeway has emerged.  Obada ended up better than Settle. Toolhill is a good backup.  And this is with them losing Mathis for the season.

With Jamin i'd say LB is better than before.

Secondary better.  Danny Johnson emerging.  St. Juste is good.  Darrick Forrest is good.

The offense.

RBs -- better

WR -- way better.

O line -- sucks.  Was good the first two years and fell apart this year.

QB -- sucks.

If he's coming back, and i think he is and I am a new owner inheriting him, its sink or swim on those spots.  I don't blame a FO for swinging and missing at QB but there is a limit of it for me where I am ready for someone else to take a swing.  

I think though Ron is a moot point.  I'd be very surprised if a new owner keeps him more than a year regardless of what happens

I think your post is relatively accurate, but let's really look at that. 

WRs and RBs being "way better" to me really just means that he's added Robinson and Dotson through the draft and paid top-dollar for Samuel in FA (who's given the team one season out of two). I don't mean to minimize that, but it's a couple players over 3 off-seasons. He deserves credit, because they are hits for sure but he brought in a guy he knew for a lot of money, hit on a WR (great pick), and hit on a RB (great pick). 

OL is a disaster and is a combination of several things (allowing people to walk and misjudging how to replace them). It's also related to how they allocated money elsewhere (for example, paying millions for Samuel rather than keeping someone like Carter for cheaper and paying millions for Wentz and getting similar play out of his backup) resulting in having to scrimp here. 

On defense, they have upgraded with the players you mentioned...but I also think much of the credit goes to JDR and his coaching. They have no linebackers. Their DL is still led by guys who were brought in by the previous regime. Sure, they drafted a couple late-round secondary players who are solid, but they also spent money on some huge misses (Jackson and Fuller). 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think your post is relatively accurate, but let's really look at that. 

WRs and RBs being "way better" to me really just means that he's added Robinson and Dotson through the draft and paid top-dollar for Samuel in FA (who's given the team one season out of two). I don't mean to minimize that, but it's a couple players over 3 off-seasons. He deserves credit, because they are hits for sure but he brought in a guy he knew for a lot of money, hit on a WR (great pick), and hit on a RB (great pick). 

OL is a disaster and is a combination of several things (allowing people to walk and misjudging how to replace them). It's also related to how they allocated money elsewhere (for example, paying millions for Samuel rather than keeping someone like Carter for cheaper and paying millions for Wentz and getting similar play out of his backup) resulting in having to scrimp here. 

On defense, they have upgraded with the players you mentioned...but I also think much of the credit goes to JDR and his coaching. They have no linebackers. Their DL is still led by guys who were brought in by the previous regime. Sure, they drafted a couple late-round secondary players who are solid, but they also spent money on some huge misses (Jackson and Fuller). 

Ron and co have done a great job raising the floor but havent done much for the ceiling. They have gotten some pretty good solid players. A few wont be here past their current contracts like Samuels Gibson Robinson (RBs just dont tend to get resigned, especially by analytically led FO which if its Bezos it will be) and Fuller. There still far too few elite players on this team. Jon is a top 5 at his position players. Terry is some where between 7-12. Beyond that the elite talent just isnt there. Thats what carries franchises to greatness. The Rams were lead by the elite talent of Ramsey Donald Cupp. Chiefs had Hill Kelce Chris Jones. Bills have Poyer Hyde Diggs. Bengals have Mixon and Chase.

We just don't have that kind of collection of elite talent you need sprinkled through out all levels of your roster. We need to find another couple of them and thats with out mentioning that all of those teams have elite QBs. 

I think were still far away from being the in contention for a SB every single year over a 5 year period type of team. Right now its the fight for the playoffs and maybe have a run 1 of those times. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

Ron and co have done a great job raising the floor but havent done much for the ceiling. They have gotten some pretty good solid players. A few wont be here past their current contracts like Samuels Gibson Robinson (RBs just dont tend to get resigned, especially by analytically led FO which if its Bezos it will be) and Fuller. There still far too few elite players on this team. Jon is a top 5 at his position players. Terry is some where between 7-12. Beyond that the elite talent just isnt there. Thats what carries franchises to greatness. The Rams were lead by the elite talent of Ramsey Donald Cupp. Chiefs had Hill Kelce Chris Jones. Bills have Poyer Hyde Diggs. Bengals have Mixon and Chase.

We just don't have that kind of collection of elite talent you need sprinkled through out all levels of your roster. We need to find another couple of them and thats with out mentioning that all of those teams have elite QBs. 

I think were still far away from being the in contention for a SB every single year over a 5 year period type of team. Right now its the fight for the playoffs and maybe have a run 1 of those times. 

Payne has entered the top 10 at DT. Curl is a top 5 SS. They have guys who can enter the top 10 at their positions next year in Juice, Forrest, Davis, Young, Sweat, Cosmi as a G and BRob

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Payne has entered the top 10 at DT

Was already on the team and personally im hard against paying 2 DTs elite money. Just bad roster building but thats a different conversation

4 minutes ago, method man said:

Curl is a top 5 SS

Easily his best player selection in FA or Draft since being here. Hes great and does all the little things well. Unfortunately hes not a play maker. Also plays arguably the least important position on defense.

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Juice

Ehhh. Need at least another season before we can see. He also misses way too much time thus far into his career. 

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Forrest

We'll see here. Has some great flash plays but other times invisible. Have concerns about his deep field coverage which limits his play time.

6 minutes ago, method man said:

Davis

Lets see more progression. Hes ok right now. Still struggles in coverage which for the modern NFL is the most important aspect for LB play.

7 minutes ago, method man said:

Sweat

Already on the team. I have doubts he stays long term. Ron and him bashed heads a lot previously. 

8 minutes ago, method man said:

Cosmi

Hes a guard at this point. Not good either. 

8 minutes ago, method man said:

BRob

Runs hard but absolutely zero threat for game breaking plays. Currently has a sub 4.0 YPC with shockingly 1/3rd of his games under 3 YPC. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Was already on the team and personally im hard against paying 2 DTs elite money. Just bad roster building but thats a different conversation

Easily his best player selection in FA or Draft since being here. Hes great and does all the little things well. Unfortunately hes not a play maker. Also plays arguably the least important position on defense.

Ehhh. Need at least another season before we can see. He also misses way too much time thus far into his career. 

We'll see here. Has some great flash plays but other times invisible. Have concerns about his deep field coverage which limits his play time.

Lets see more progression. Hes ok right now. Still struggles in coverage which for the modern NFL is the most important aspect for LB play.

Already on the team. I have doubts he stays long term. Ron and him bashed heads a lot previously. 

Hes a guard at this point. Not good either. 

Runs hard but absolutely zero threat for game breaking plays. Currently has a sub 4.0 YPC with shockingly 1/3rd of his games under 3 YPC. 

Good post...I think, as we've done for years, some are falling into the trap of overrating the guys on this roster. Plenty of those named are solid-to-good players but very few, if any, are stars. 

There are Brian Robinsons all throughout the league and new ones are drafted each season. Nothing against the guy...he's a talented NFL running back, but is he any different Tyler Allgeier (5th rounder)?