Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He is the anti-thesis of Rivera in every single way.

lol, yeah, no doubt.  He's rarely serious, very weird, he has no presence or gravitas about him.   If he weren't a head coach, I don't think anyone would notice him in a room. 

I think the narrative would be something like take the nerdiest kid you knew in school, put him in a leadership position, he's awkward as heck in that leadership spot, but you hope that his nerdiness in the form of smarts outwits the opponent, regardless.

Outside of this team, the two teams I know the next best are the Giants and Dolphins for reasons i explained in other posts.  I am far from an expert on the Dolphins but i've paid enough attention to know that the early honeymoon he had with fans-media hasn't held up through the season.  They've lost now 5 in a row.

https://phinphanatic.com/2022/12/12/miami-dolphins-mike-mcdaniel-failing-offense/

The Miami Dolphins have now lost two games in a row and typically that wouldn’t be a big deal but the way they lost them is. Mike McDaniel is a big part of the reason why.

Tua Tagovailoa has looked like pure garbage the last two weeks and he can stand at the podium and talk about accountability, missed communication, and all the other standard lines but the reality is, Tua is giving his critics every reason to doubt him again.

For the second week in a row, Tua has been off his game, or has he been? Mike McDaniel’s offense is designed to utilize the middle of the field and the 49ers and Chargers both took that away from Tua forcing him to play the boundaries where he is less comfortable and less accurate.

The problem is that Mike McDaniel has done no favors to the offense. Over the last two weeks, we haven’t seen McDaniel change his strategy. No in-game adjustments, no halftime adjustments, nothing. Against the Chargers the Dolphins should have played a run-heavy offense exploiting the weaker defensive front.

While the Chargers showed an ability to stop the run early, Miami quit pounding it and instead tried to force-feed the ball to Tyreek Hill across the middle where the Chargers ran two safeties and dropped linebackers into the mid-field forcing Tua to make tight catches. Add to that the physical play on the WRs at the line, and Miami was out of rhythm all night.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, also weird energy comes with the turf with him.  Weird dude with a lot of bad jokes that keep coming.

I agree that he's sort of an acquired taste it seems. 

I think with that style you got to win quick to hold the locker room because to me like I said he comes like the nerdy "Weird Science" kid we know from school versus the standard leader of men HC type.

Dudes got a dry as the desert sense of humor with an awkward presentation.

Kinda weird and a bit creepy  too.

I actually think I would get along pretty well with him, but he's definitely not your typical cup of tea, an acquired taste for sure.

What Sherwood Anderson would call in his masterpiece "Winesburg, Ohio" a "twisted apple" and very few know and appreciate the exquisite taste of oddly deformed things.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Dudes got a dry as the desert sense of humor with an awkward presentation.

Kinda weird and a bit creepy  too.

I actually think I would get along pretty well with him. But he's definitely not your average cup of tea.

I can relate to the constant bad jokes he makes.  I can be like that socially. 😀  But I don't really do it to that extent at work.  

I wasn't really thinking "creepy" but now that you say it, yeah I can see that.  He has a weird demeanor about him that in a certain context can perhaps come off that way.

I just doubt the average alpha male, jock type NFL player, relates to a dude like that.  But if he wins i am sure, its fine.  But if you hit some rough patches like the Dolphins are now, it might not be an easy sell.

The national media loves him because they dig quirky and they see some of themselves in him.

As for me, I don't think he's this slam dunk we have to get him prospect the way some do here.  I wouldn't be against it either.  but its not a slam dunk call IMO because he's such an odd guy.  He actually makes Zorn come off normal in comparison. 

McVay is a young dude, but he's magic with people and comes off like a dude who can relate to players on their level.  Kyle Shanny to some extent, too.  Some like to compare McDaniel to those 2 but I think as a dude he's very different.  

• Like 1

We might see a situation similar to what happened with Dungy's exit in Tampa. They basically kept the defensive staff and Gruden brought in his own people for the O. Dungy should've never made Christensen (SP?) the OC. Horrible. Same for Scott Turner, but we've had to put up with this horse manure for 3 years. PLUS, our functional GM RR gave that fool an extension. Would JDR be the replacement? Don't know. But if we do bring in an offensive-minded HC whose direction to the D is different than what Gilligan is giving JDR, I'm optimistic.

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I can relate to the constant bad jokes he makes.  I can be like that socially. 😀  But I don't really do it to that extent at work.  

I wasn't really thinking "creepy" but now that you say it, yeah I can see that.  He has a weird demeanor about him that in a certain context can perhaps come off that way.

I just doubt the average alpha male, jock type NFL player, relates to a dude like that.  But if he wins i am sure, its fine.  But if you hit some rough patches like the Dolphins are now, it might not be an easy sell.

The national media loves him because they did quirky and they see some of themselves in him.

As for me, I don't think he's this slam dunk we have to get him prospect the way some do here.  I wouldn't be against it either.  but its not a slam dunk call IMO because he's such an odd guy.  He actually makes Zorn come off normal in comparison. 

McVay is a young dude, but he's magic with people and comes off like a dude who can relate to players on their level.  Kyle Shanny to some extent, too.  Some like to compare CDaniel to those 2 but I think as a dude he's very different.  

"... just doubt the average alpha male, jock type NFL player, relates to a dude like that. "

Have to agree.

It's amazing that he got hired as a head coach.

I know I am strange but I was never that way either in public or in my professional life. Nor would I ever hire someone who presented the way that he does.

Then again I was in a different era.

That he has managed to rise to the top of the coaching pyramd, with that quirky off beat personality is beyond fascinating.

I just don't know how successful that demeanor will be in the long run.

But like a crash on the highway I can't help slowing down to take a peak as I drive by.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bram on his radio show today said he got involved to help make this happen and there is a backstory to this but he couldn't share as for why Herzog wasn't initially invited.

Hmm……anyone believing that story, or do we think the team is lying to cover their own butts?

13 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Hmm……anyone believing that story, or do we think the team is lying to cover their own butts?

Don't know.  I like Sonny as much as anyone but the whole thing doesn't seem that deep to me.    

Speaking for myself, my interest is does Dan show up?    I've heard multiple times that Dan and Sonny were somewhat close at least for a span.  

• Thumb up 1

15 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Lol some instidiot is trying to say “WhAt aBoUt HaSkInS” on the picture of the 3 painted blue on the field. Trying to say “he didn’t get the respect he deserved”. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ save me from these morons. SAVE ME!!!!

This reminds me of a joke.

Theres a guy named Bill who works in construction. Every day Bill would enjoy lunch with his co-workers. And every day for 20 years, Bill had the same lunch, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. One day during lunch, Bill opens up his lunch, sighs to himself and says, “Holy crap, PB&J again.” One of his buddies turns to Bill and says, “Bill, why don’t you tell the old lady to make you something else?” And Bill turns to his buddy and replies, “What old lady?”

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Despite this all, guessing Dolphins win. Jets starting Flacco, 3  O lineman out, etc.]

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 3.44.39 PM.png

I'm old enough to remember when McDaniels was the next young offensive genius. 

But I cut them some slack because their season clearly got derailed because Tua is an injury waiting to happen.  If he's not absolutely 100%, you cant trust him to perform properly.  He's not gonna be Herbert out there slinging dimes with broken ribs.  

They start out 3-0 beating the Patriots, Ravens, and Bills.  Then Tua has that infamous fencing concussion against the Bengals.  Misses the next 3 games and they lose all 3.  Comes back and they promptly run off 5 straight wins.   They were 8-0 to start the season in games Tua started and finished. But then the wheels started to come off down the stretch against 4 playoff teams, 3 on the road. 

I dont think Tua's right.  After beating HOU in week 12, he can't complete a pass.  He only completing 53% of his passes in the 4 games after that.  He was 69% in the 9 games before that. So somethings going on with him.  

Doesn't help that they can't run the ball to save their lives, but they never could.

Edited by justice98

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I'm softening on this whole thing.  I think if Sonny didn't request Frank to be there, I think that's a relevant detail.  If Frank and Sonny aren't close, then it is what it is.  

People (including me at first) were slamming the team for not ignoring Sonny's direct request. Sonny didn't say "I want only family AND Frank".  Could they team have put Frank in the booth from the beginning?  Sure, I guess, but it's not the egregious oversight that it seemed initially to me.  But at this point, every little thing this team does like this sends the fans into hysterics.  

38 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I'm old enough to remember when McDaniels was the next young offensive genius. 

But I cut them some slack because their season clearly got derailed because Tua is an injury waiting to happen.  If he's not absolutely 100%, you cant trust him to perform properly.  He's not gonna be Herbert out there slinging dimes with broken ribs.  

They start out 3-0 beating the Patriots, Ravens, and Bills.  Then Tua has that infamous fencing concussion against the Bengals.  Misses the next 3 games and they lose all 3.  Comes back and they promptly run off 5 straight wins.   They were 8-0 to start the season in games Tua started and finished. But then the wheels started to come off down the stretch against 4 playoff teams, 3 on the road. 

I dont think Tua's right.  After beating HOU in week 12, he can't complete a pass.  He only completing 53% of his passes in the 4 games after that.  He was 69% in the 9 games before that. So somethings going on with him.  

Doesn't help that they can't run the ball to save their lives, but they never could.

I am old enough too but I recall no buzz about McDaniel while he was here and I am a bit of a media junkie, and catch obscure stuff often, so impressed you recall him back then.  Grant Paulsen who covered the team back then said he barely recalls him but recalled a story or two.

I am in Florida, I watch this team some and read about it some.  McDaniel definitely has had a rise and fall with the local media here.

Whether justified or not, the rap seems to be defensives have clamped down on the Dolphins offense and McDaniel hasn't adjusted back.  

I do think though they beat the Jets considered how undermanned the Jets are and the Pats lose to the Bills and they make the playoffs.  Will see.

My larger point is McDaniel with his uber weird personality has to win I think to keep the locker room because he doesn't exude the usual presence leadership-HC qualities.

This is from the papers today.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-sidebar-fri-20230106-a2iwcakotbdufgbm6dede2hwfq-story.html

Mike McDaniel hasn’t been able to find the answers.

He hasn’t found the answers to what defenses are doing to his offense, he hasn’t found the answers for why his defense allows 28 points per game on the road and 16 points per game at home, and he hasn’t found the answers to his team’s five-game losing streak heading into Sunday’s finale against the New York Jets and aging quarterback Joe Flacco.

Here’s hoping McDaniel, the Dolphins’ rookie head coach, can find answers to these problems Sunday, and continue finding the answers to similar problems next season.

One truth is emerging about the Dolphins this year — a large part of what we’ve witnessed during the disastrous second half of the Dolphins’ season is the learning curve of a rookie head coach

Actually, McDaniel’s learning curve is a large part of what we witnessed during the first part of the season, too. The difference is the Dolphins were winning while playing inferior opponents.

Look, it’s great that McDaniel is different, that he cracks jokes frequently, that he believes in positive reinforcement instead of cursing and tearing down, that he shook up the traditional locker room seating chart (offensive line sits in this area as a group, defensive lines sits in this area as a group, and so on) and has players from all units mixing and mingling and getting to know each other. That’s all refreshing.MENT

However, none of that helps you win games.

Talent helps you win games. Coaching helps you win games. Good health helps you win games. And to a lesser extent, a mixture of intangibles such as luck and emotion helps you win games.

McDaniel must find a way to improve on each of the first three next season.

As for improving the coaching, the focal point for this purpose, this starts at the top with McDaniel. He must be better Sunday, the final regular season game of his rookie year with playoffs hopes on the line, and he especially must be better next season.

To a large extent, it appears McDaniel’s creative offense devolved into a simple trend of passing to wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle late this season. That becomes predictable and one-dimensional, and easier to stop by things such as dropping your linebackers deeper or challenging the receivers at the line of scrimmage to disrupt the timing of the passing game. Ask San Francisco, the Los Angeles Chargers, Buffalo, Green Bay and New England.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am old enough too but I recall no buzz about McDaniel while he was here and I am a bit of a media junkie, and catch obscure stuff often, so impressed you recall him back then.  Grant Paulsen who covered the team back then said he barely recalls him but recalled a story or two.

I was just being cheeky. I meant earlier in the season when the Dolphins were hot. lol I might have vaguely recalled hearing the name from his WR coach year here, but I won't pretend like I knew anything else about him.

But he's been gone from here since 2013.  I dont think it means anything that he wasnt a coaching prospect all the way back then. Took him 4 stops and 9 years to work his way up the ladder.  Seems reasonable to me he didnt get noticed until recently. 

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My larger point is McDaniel with his uber weird personality has to win I think to keep the locker room because he doesn't exude the usual presence leadership-HC qualities.

I can totally see this being the case.

57 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I was just being cheeky. I meant earlier in the season when the Dolphins were hot. lol I might have vaguely recalled hearing the name from his WR coach year here, but I won't pretend like I knew anything else about him.

But he's been gone from here since 2013.  I dont think it means anything that he wasnt a coaching prospect all the way back then. Took him 4 stops and 9 years to work his way up the ladder.  Seems reasonable to me he didnt get noticed until recently. 

I can totally see this being the case.

Sheehan who is tight with Shanny Sr didn’t hear about him much either - apparently just once when Shanny Sr told him McDaniel was really smart

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I'm softening on this whole thing.  I think if Sonny didn't request Frank to be there, I think that's a relevant detail.  If Frank and Sonny aren't close, then it is what it is.  

People (including me at first) were slamming the team for not ignoring Sonny's direct request. Sonny didn't say "I want only family AND Frank".  Could they team have put Frank in the booth from the beginning?  Sure, I guess, but it's not the egregious oversight that it seemed initially to me.  But at this point, every little thing this team does like this sends the fans into hysterics.  

For as long as Frank and Sonny worked together, it just seems crazy to straight up snub Herzog...in my opinion he should 100%, at the very least, be an invited guest.

My tinfoil-hat, completely made-up, totally BS theory is that since Herzog was pushed out of the booth in favor of Larry Micheal -- Snyder's well-known best-good perv-buddy -- this was simply a chance for Snyder to take a parting cheap-shot at a guy he never really liked. Which, seems very on-brand. 

3 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

For as long as Frank and Sonny worked together, it just seems crazy to straight up snub Herzog...in my opinion he should 100%, at the very least, be an invited guest.

My tinfoil-hat, completely made-up, totally BS theory is that since Herzog was pushed out of the booth in favor of Larry Micheal -- Snyder's well-known best-good perv-buddy -- this was simply a chance for Snyder to take a parting cheap-shot at a guy he never really liked. Which, seems very on-brand. 

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  I like Sonny as much as anyone but the whole thing doesn't seem that deep to me.    

Speaking for myself, my interest is does Dan show up?    I've heard multiple times that Dan and Sonny were somewhat close at least for a span.  

They were along with bigtime Snyder lapdog George Michael who used to threaten other media members against criticizing Snyder

9 minutes ago, formerly4skins said:

Not unreasonable, certainly wouldn't put it past Snyder.  But I just think the people in place just have zero grasp of this town and the team's history.  Zero.  They've proven that time and again.  The little details will always get missed with this group.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

Sure, I didn't say it meant anything whether he was noticed while he was here or not.  Just saying I was impressed that you would remember him, that's all.  But got it, it was you being cheeky on your end.  All cool. 

As for McDaniel, tough call for me whether he's a slam dunk choice.  As I said, he's not the first coach that got early hype and it quickly faded.  Even Zorn had a run like that.  Hopefully, McDaniel though has a good run, seems like a very quirky but also nice guy, will see. 

41 minutes ago, method man said:

They were along with bigtime Snyder lapdog George Michael who used to threaten other media members against criticizing Snyder

Yeah Dan had his cronies.  I recall Sheehan used to say in his pregame show that Sonny talks to Dan so he trusted him as a source relating to Dan.   Joey T, too.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

McDaniel is a weird dude for sure. I think he's a good fit for a place like Miami. The D.C. media and fan base would eviscerate him if he has any sort of struggle. 

Agreed. The media here is not like New York or Philly but it is a tougher market than Carolina and Miami