Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I didn't see this posted.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/22/mmqb-carson-wentz-trade-washington-front-office-tim-tebow

WASHINGTON'S WEALTH OF EXPERIENCE

If you’ve been around scouting types, you’ve heard this complaint in the past: General managers don’t get second chances the way head coaches do. And that grievance is, for the most part, rooted in truth.

Fired GMs don’t dive back into the director level of NFL scouting departments with nearly the same regularity that fired head coaches become coordinators again, and far more fired GMs than fired head coaches wind up out of football altogether.

That’s why Washington’s new structure intrigues me so much. Last year, between the nickname change and revelations of a toxic workplace (which went all the way up to the ownership suite), the organization went through as a full a reset as you’ll see in professional sports. A new coach, Ron Rivera, was ushered in to lead the football side; a new president, Jason Wright, was hired to lead the business side; and just about everything that long needed to be reckoned with was reckoned with.

Over the last two months, a second phase of that process was launched, with the team detonating the top of its scouting department and starting from scratch. In doing so, as I see it, they preyed on that no-second-chances-for-fired-GMs dynamic and maybe, just maybe, found a market inefficiency in rebuilding the personnel operation. Just consider …

• New GM Martin Mayhew was the Lions’ GM from 2009 to ‘15, building a playoff team in 2010, and one that went to the playoffs a year after his ouster.

• New EVP of football/player personnel Marty Hurney was the Panthers’ GM from 2002 to ‘12 and again from 2017 to ‘20, twice building Super Bowl teams.

• New director of pro personnel Chris Polian was the Colts’ GM from 2009 to ‘11, going to a Super Bowl and making the playoffs twice in that time.

• New senior director of player personnel Eric Stokes was assistant GM in Miami from 2014 to ‘15, and ultimately wound up out of the job as a result of GM Dennis Hickey being fired.

This is not usually how scouting departments are built. Normally, a new GM is hired, and younger guys connected to him come along with promotions. In this case, Washington has collected people who’ve been in these roles before and bring an ability to lean back on those experiences.

“This has come up several times in our conversations already, about things going on with the team currently, just in our meetings,” Mayhew said on Saturday. “Our experience in those conversations always comes up. Eric can say ‘When I was in Miami, this happened.’ Chris can say, ‘When I was in Indianapolis, this is how it played out.’ And I can talk about Detroit and Marty can talk about Carolina. So that experience is very valuable.

“We’ve all made mistakes. Anybody who’s had this job has made mistakes. And we’ve all learned from them. I think we do a very good job of bouncing ideas off each other. I think one good thing about all of us is we’re very opinionated. None of us hold our tongue or hold back. We all have opinions on things, and we will get them out on the table, and get them out and discuss them.”

“I certainly, speaking for myself, think it’s helped me,” Hurney said Friday. “And I’ve had two chances to do that. You start, when you first get let go, by looking at all the things you did wrong. And then after a while, you start looking at the things you did right, and you start getting more confident in the things that you did right. And you look at how to improve the things you did wrong. For me, it was a terrific help.”

On paper, Mayhew and Hurney are equals—both reporting to Rivera in Washington’s self-dubbed “coach-centric” model. And they swear to the fact that, in practice, it’s that way too.

So when I asked who’s in charge, I got a pretty straightforward answer.

“Ron’s in charge, actually,” Mayhew said. “Marty and myself both report to Ron. Ron has the ultimate say. He makes the final decision. It’s going to be the two of us working with Ron, making recommendations of what we think should happen. And Ron makes the ultimate decision.”

Mayhew added that, “Our jobs are very similar and very loosely-defined roles. There hasn’t been anything that’s [like] I’m definitely in charge of this area, Marty’s definitely in charge of this area. I think we work very well together.” And the truth is, if Mayhew (55) and Hurney (65) were younger and still climbing the ladder, or didn’t have a relationship, that might be a problem.

Age and experience have made each secure in who he is, and that brings us back to the benefit of having this sort of knowhow in the building. Along those lines, both guys brought specific examples to illustrate what they’d learned from previous failures as GMs.

For Hurney, it relates back to the clogged cap that helped lead to his initial ouster from the Panthers in 2012 and his relationship with then Carolina cap chief Rob Rodgers, who happens to be in Washington now, too.

“He has a very good feel for the numbers,” Hurney said. “Sometimes I think, at least in my case, I would get emotionally involved in trying to get a player, trying to make the team better, because that’s what you’re focused on—winning games. I learned that, Hey, listen, this is his area of expertise. He knows how to translate a player’s résumé to what he should make and the contract negotiation part of it. And I think he would tell you the second time around was much better. Overall, and big picture-wise, that’s what I’ve learned.

“People have their areas of expertise, and not that you don’t give your opinion, but you listen and let them do their jobs. That was one of the big things I learned from the first time around.”

Mayhew’s example wasn’t totally dissimilar—it also came over time, and proved true from one experience (Detroit) to another (San Francisco, where he was the last four years).

“One thing that I’ve learned is we have to be fully aligned and fully on the same page,” Mayhew said. “That’s not just coaches and the personnel department. I’m talking about the players have to be fully bought in, ownership has to be fully bought in. And I saw that firsthand in San Francisco in 2019, the way that season went, and also the start of this past season. Obviously didn’t go the way we wanted, but the alignment was definitely there.

“And everybody was on board. Everybody was doing their part in moving toward that common goal. You really can’t say that about the entire time that I was in Detroit. There were fits and starts. Times when things worked well and we were all communicating well and things were moving in the right direction. But it wasn’t consistent enough.”

In that way, Mayhew contended that he could connect the Super Bowl team he played on in Washington in 1991 and that San Francisco team of 28 years later. “That’s part of what excites me about working with Marty, working with Ron, is to see that process, see that setup happen again,” Mayhew said. “I want to be a part of it.”

And that’s really going to be happening in earnest in the coming days, as Rivera’s coaching staff starts presentations for the new scouting department, with plans to detail the schemes and spell out prototypes for every position, something that also highlights how early in the process of melding the operation together Washington really is.

But the hope is that, given the experience of the guys involved, all of this comes together relatively quickly. Because while on one hand, Hurney affirmed that being part of the reinvention of the Washington Football Team has special meaning to him and Mayhew, given their deep roots with the organization (Hurney being from the area and Mayhew having played there), Mayhew was quick to remind me this isn’t a total rebuild.

“I wouldn’t call it a blank canvas,” Mayhew said. “We’re not coming into a situation of a team that was 1–15 or 2–14 last year that has no talent. To me, that’s what a blank canvas is; you can start anywhere and put it together. I think we have some areas of the team that are very strong, and we’re going to build around those areas. … We’re not at a point where I was when I first took over in Detroit or when I first got to San Francisco. We’re much further advanced than that, and we just want to build on what we already have.”

Which, of course, is what someone who’s been there before might say.

Edited by HigSkin

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

We don't know if Bezos will be a big spender or not.  He may be cheaper than Snyder or other NFL owners.  We don't know.

I would take a ****ing ham sammich as owner of my pro football team over Dan Schneider.  Everything he touches, turns to ****.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nope. Neither are it. Neither are acceptable.

Definitely. Ideally I would want neither. However, if I had to choose (just for discussion sake). I would pick Allen over Snyder. 

Snyder is owner so it would be hard to remove him at least with Allen, you can always just fire him. 

I feel dirty even making a case for him gross 🤮 

• Like 1

Donald Wells - former Director of the Cheerleaders - was on Elliott in the Morning on DC101. Nothing groundbreaking, but he certainly confirmed the way people were treated, the culture, etc. He didn't know about the videos until the story broke over the summer, but from his network of cheerleader alumni and current cheerleaders, he said too many of the allegations are so consistent that nothing would surprise him. 

He also railed on the "Tanya and I" theme that's popped up since Snyder has been outed as a perverted predator. He said he wished she was around back then because maybe things would have been different and the girls would have had someone to go to. 

• Thanks 1

It's my understanding that Goodell needs to start this by turning it over to a committee consisting of other owners and that committee votes for removal.  Is this true?

Seeing Goodell praise Snyder for fixing the mess does not leave me encouraged that Rodger The Dodger will actually make this move.   

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's my understanding that Goodell needs to start this by turning it over to a committee consisting of other owners and that committee votes for removal.  Is this true?

Seeing Goodell praise Snyder for fixing the mess does not leave me encouraged that Rodger The Dodger will actually make this move.   

I don't know the rules, but that would encourage me if this was going to a committee. I also hope that everything is shared, regardless of their decision on Snyder. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jeff-bezos-might-targeting-nfls-225253213.html 

What Happened: Bezos has explored taking an ownership position in the NFL's Washington Football Team, according to Front Office Sports.

The current Amazon CEO is said to have held talks about buying a stake in the team, which plays in Washington D.C.

Three minority owners of the Washington Football Team hired Moag & Co, a Baltimore-based sports investment banking firm to explore a sale. Bezo’s attorney held talks with Moag & Co, according to the report.

Current Washington Football majority owner Dan Snyder has claimed an extortion campaign forcing him to sell the team is being wagered. Snyder blocked the sale of a stake in the team by existing owners using his right of first refusal.

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Bezos becomes owner, he will force ES to charge members a Subscription rate, just to READ E.S., about $59.99.

But if you want Prime ES membership, and actually want to post on the forum, that Prime will be $119.99 per year.

And let's not even get into ticket prices, or what Amazon Stadium will look like.

Sad thing is I bet this would happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That would be the cliffnotes version of it.

Goodell does not have the authority to remove an owner, but he can convene a committee consisting of owners that can put the removal of an owner up for a vote. I believe a majority vote is all that is needed for removal.

Don't hold your breath on that happening with what we currently know however, and the odds of getting enough votes are twice as long as getting a vote in the first place.

47 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Bezos becomes owner, he will force ES to charge members a Subscription rate, just to READ E.S., about $59.99.

But if you want Prime ES membership, and actually want to post on the forum, that Prime will be $119.99 per year.

And let's not even get into ticket prices, or what Amazon Stadium will look like.

I would like to think Amazon Prime members would get ES for free.

Also it would be impossible to have Amazon stadium and not have our worse nightmares of a moat realized. Gotta incorporate the Amazon river. 

EDIT: Conspiracy - Now I see why SOME people within the org have been pushing for a moat in the first place

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Just imagine if the one and only, Bruce Allen, was to release 10 years worth of Dan dirt, that led to his ouster as owner of the team.

That would be worth all the hell his tenure put us through and then some.  There has to be a soul somewhere in there Bruce, prove it to us.

What an amazing turn of events that would be. It would be similar to how I felt as a 6-year old when Darth Vader became fed up at watching the Emperor electrocute Luke, picked him up, and threw him into that bottomless pit. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What an amazing turn of events that would be. It would be similar to how I felt as a 6-year old when Darth Vader became fed up at watching the Emperor electrocute Luke, picked him up, and threw him into that bottomless pit. 

You do realize that means Snyder rises again years later though?  I assume you saw the new movies. 

• Haha 2

https://www.nbcnews.com/know-your-value/feature/muted-washington-football-team-cheerleaders-allegedly-fired-during-faceless-zoom-ncna1258579

The news of the program’s “pause” nonetheless came as a shock to cheerleaders, especially given the drive for cultural change which they feel they’ve pioneered. The First Ladies of Football has more African American women than any NFL cheerleading team, and is among the most racially diverse in the league. In addition, just three teams have Black directors, who are tasked with hiring talent. Jamilla Keene, the First Ladies of Football’s director, is one of them.

“It sucks that we worked so hard to do that and to change that culture,” Shepherd explained. “For it to be dismantled or pushed to the side without any explanation is kind of a smack in the face.”

I have a really hard time feeling sorry for these cheerleaders on losing their $5,000 a year let me tell yah. I'm sure nearly all of them use the Washington Football Team brand to enhance outside opportunities for themselves, and that's what truly at stake here for them. My thing is, how many women are turned away because they aren't pretty enough? The whole program stinks, hiring women off of their physical appearances, that doesn't sit right with me, cheerleading at the professional level is outdated IMO. We don't need the program. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Apparently the team was given 30-minutes notice to join a Zoom call and be told that they were no longer needed (a 5 minute meeting). All class. 

Should have been 24 hrs but you really do want to keep meetings where people are being let go as short as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

That would be the cliffnotes version of it.

Goodell does not have the authority to remove an owner, but he can convene a committee consisting of owners that can put the removal of an owner up for a vote. I believe a majority vote is all that is needed for removal.

Don't hold your breath on that happening with what we currently know however, and the odds of getting enough votes are twice as long as getting a vote in the first place.

Obviously the report will determine the next step. But that step starts with Goodell. If he does not move convene this committee it's over. I definitely see that happening given his comments.  

Bruce vs Dan. Now that's damned funny.  

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Apparently the team was given 30-minutes notice to join a Zoom call and be told that they were no longer needed (a 5 minute meeting). All class. 

Thats the #1 sign it wasnt a planned move, but reactionary to an article they just got wind was coming out.  Despite the lies otherwise.

• Thanks 1