Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hey. Look. Wilbon is criticizing sports in DC. This is my shocked face: ūüėź

 

 

 

I only lasted 1:49. How is it "shameful" for a team to want to move on from an old QB on 1 leg?  This is football, teams do this sort of thing all the time and he acts like it's the crime of the century. 

 

I used to be a Wilbon guy, he annoys me now and I bailed on the show years ago.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

 

I only lasted 1:49. How is it "shameful" for a team to want to move on from an old QB on 1 leg?  This is football, teams do this sort of thing all the time and he acts like it's the crime of the century. 

 

I used to be a Wilbon guy, he annoys me now and I bailed on the show years ago.  

They make their living off of stirring the pot.  Nobody reasonably expected Alex Smith to ever play a down of professional football again except Alex Smith.  To assert otherwise is beyond ridiculous.  He came back against all odds.  I don’t blame the team one iota for assuming he was done and moving on.  999 people out of 1000 would have been. 

 

I’m really annoyed by this whole thing...the team has deserved a lot of criticism over the years, but their handling of Alex Smith is not even in the top 10.  Wilbon is raging but I don’t think it’s really about Alex.     

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

But I think there's some validity to hearing about a player and the Skins bickering and just assuming it's on the team. Because, over the past two decades, it usually has been. It's not to defend lazy reporters or pundits, but the perception around the league is that coaches/players/execs come to DC, make their money, the marriage ends poorly due to the team, and they move on somewhere else. 

 

We've seen Dan Snyder chew up and spit out well-respected players and coaches for years. These players/coaches have a certain track record elsewhere, underperform here, leave with comments that his place is toxic, and then go on to match what they did before coming here somewhere else. Where there's smoke there's likely some fire. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I’m really annoyed by this whole thing...the team has deserved a lot of criticism over the years, but their handling of Alex Smith is not even in the top 10.  Wilbon is raging but I don’t think it’s really about Alex.     

 

Wilbon just bashes everything DC. When the Caps finally beat the Penguins in the playoffs in 2018--he called us a "minor league" sports town for celebrating it. He said nothing when approx. 800k-1m turned out for both our championship parades. He also has been very silent in the Seahawks treatment of Wilson. He's a standard, worthless ESPN talking head.

 

This almost 9-year-old article still applies (warning, the article has some naughty language, linked so the link would work.)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But I think there's some validity to hearing about a player and the Skins bickering and just assuming it's on the team. Because, over the past two decades, it usually has been. It's not to defend lazy reporters or pundits, but the perception around the league is that coaches/players/execs come to DC, make their money, the marriage ends poorly due to the team, and they move on somewhere else. 

 

We've seen Dan Snyder chew up and spit out well-respected players and coaches for years. These players/coaches have a certain track record elsewhere, underperform here, leave with comments that his place is toxic, and then go on to match what they did before coming here somewhere else. Where there's smoke there's likely some fire. 

Very true. However, and I rarely agree with Russell, but he asked a very pointed question: Why is he bringing this up now, if his gripe was from August?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Wasn't he asked specific questions in the interview? That's probably why

That and I'd imagine he wasn't going to muddy the waters being so close to returning.  It makes sense to me that he would hold onto this until after the season, both to avoid in-season drama and once it's clear that he's not returning to Washington.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

 

I’m really annoyed by this whole thing...the team has deserved a lot of criticism over the years, but their handling of Alex Smith is not even in the top 10.  


Yep agree, Smiths had a fair crack here. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 6:58 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron’s tenure would depend on whether he’s winning or not. If he is; then he’s stays until he no longer is winning. If he’s not winning; he will eventually be gone.

 

Exactly the same as the other 31 NFL head coaches.

 

 

I don't like Bezos either, but let's not pretend that "a new owner would fire people" is a downside.  We are a bottom five NFL organization.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:


Yep agree, Smiths had a fair crack here. 

The thing is players also see Alex's limitations. They respect the hell out of him but also realize there is only so much he can do on the Football field and at some point they will not give it there all knowing that. Not to bring up Heinike again but the spark the team got from him was partly due to the players around him responding to the ability he showed. Smith has been given every opportunity to show what he is capable of. Unfortunately his physical limitations are glaring to everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

 

 

I really don't want to get my hopes up but this is very promising.  If it goes public the pressure will increase substantially. How can the other owners want the brand tarnished like this?  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, all these salacious headlines mean nothing. We just got done with 4 years of career ending headlines and none if it amounted to anything. Hopefully with Snyder it does but I’ve given up almost.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, dyst said:

Eh, all these salacious headlines mean nothing. We just got done with 4 years of career ending headlines and none if it amounted to anything. Hopefully with Snyder it does but I’ve given up almost.

 

I'm with you. I honestly don't think the report will ever see the light of day, because Roger has already said that Danny Boy (and don't forget Tanya!!) have already made improvements in the culture...nothing to see here, please disperse.

 

Although if that happens, I wouldn't be surprised if someone leaked it.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought this was a nice visualization of our drafting prowess over the past few years:

 

qzx75pgnvpj61.png

 

Based on PFF grades, we are the 9th most consistent team at drafting since 2017, sandwiched in between a couple of playoff teams.

 

Our turnaround did not come out of nowhere.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Busch1724 said:

If it's costing them boatloads of money, they'll have Roger force him to sell.  Money always talks. 

I’ve been a Dan Snyder critic as much as anyone over the years, but this idea of utilizing the court of public opinion to force the man to lose his business really does not sit well with me.

 

Very un-American.  For me the end never justifies the means.  If it’s bad enough to get a conviction in a court of law on something...that’s different.  If it’s mountains out of ant hills to exact a desired outcome...not good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

I’ve been a Dan Snyder critic as much as anyone over the years, but this idea of utilizing the court of public opinion to force the man to lose his business really does not sit well with me.

 

Very un-American.  For me the end never justifies the means.  If it’s bad enough to get a conviction in a court of law on something...that’s different.  If it’s mountains out of ant hills to exact a desired outcome...not good.

This exists in capitalism everywhere...the owners are basically 32 partners who own the same "business" not 32 competing businesses. So, like any corporation...if a partner or VP becomes a headache, the others buy him out or force him out. 

 

Believe me, Snyder isn't going to walk away with nothing. The "punishment" here if they are sick of him is a $3B sale and the second half of his life on an island (likely one he owns). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Painkiller said:

I’ve been a Dan Snyder critic as much as anyone over the years, but this idea of utilizing the court of public opinion to force the man to lose his business really does not sit well with me.

 

Very un-American.  For me the end never justifies the means.  If it’s bad enough to get a conviction in a court of law on something...that’s different.  If it’s mountains out of ant hills to exact a desired outcome...not good.

 

Maybe not, but the ends do justify the meanness. And I agree with TD_washingtonredskins that no one should feel ever sorry for a billionaire. As much as I support capitalism, we all know that billionaires will never suffer from any of the troubles of us 'little people.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...