Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

Honest question, did the media do a great disservice by creating such an unmeetable hype in terms of what they claimed they knew thus making the report that came out yesterday more underwhelming than it deserved to be?

Yes.

Just now, mammajamma said:

Pretty easy fix there, don't let ANY media into the locker room. I never understood that. The team gives you access everywhere else (outside the locker rooms, in the tunnel, on the sidelines, at training camp, in the press conference room, etc etc etc... why do they also need to be where the players are changing?

From a certain extent I get a reporter wanting locker room interviews. As a reporter, you want the most spontaneous, truthful, and emotional reaction you can get to a win or a loss. After they've showered, dressed, etc. it's easier for them to slip into the generic sports' non answers. On the other hand, most athletes are so well trained to give non answers that I doubt that you really get that unguarded response anymore (you might get more exuberant quotes after a win).

Disclaimer: I've never done a locker room interview.

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Honest question, did the media do a great disservice by creating such an unmeetable hype in terms of what they claimed they knew thus making the report that came out yesterday more underwhelming than it deserved to be?

I alluded to something like that like 80 pages ago lol...before the story was ever published. You could see it as the build up got bigger and bigger...that one WP story posted by someone in this thread that spoke about jow the articles writes had to tune out all the speculation and just focus on getting their story accurate says a ****load in my eyes.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

From a certain extent I get a reporter wanting locker room interviews. As a reporter, you want the most spontaneous, truthful, and emotional reaction you can get to a win or a loss.

i have always seen that as a negative. i never thought it was fair or appropriate to interview them right after when adrenaline is still going high. countless examples of sports media taking those emotional responses and turning them into a character assassination (see Cam Newton). Players should be allowed to collect their thoughts (and get dressed) before having to address the world that will judge them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I alluded to something like that like 80 pages ago lol...before the story was ever published. You could see it as the build up got bigger and bigger...that one WP story posted by someone in this thread that spoke about jow the articles writes had to tune out all the speculation and just focus on getting their story accurate says a ****load in my eyes.

I understand the need to hype up, BUT if the journalists all claimed they knew what it was about, how could they not see that what they were doing was eventually going to be counterproductive to the #metoo movement. They're all gonna pat themselves on the back for various reasons but they deserve a massive tongue lashing for such irresponsibility. Essentially they were exploiting a serious concern.

• Like 1

Just now, mammajamma said:

i have always seen that as a negative. i never thought it was fair or appropriate to interview them right after when adrenaline is still going high. countless examples of sports media taking those emotional responses and turning them into a character assassination (see Cam Newton). Players should be allowed to collect their thoughts (and get dressed) before having to address the world that will judge them

I see it both ways. Having been a reporter (though not a sports' reporter) you always want to get the most unguarded quote. You want to put the listener, reader, or viewer as close as you can to the moment. On the other hand, for the very reason you are describing (albeit on a much more serious issue) when I accepted a job as a reporter I told my boss the one thing I will never do is stick a mic under someone's nose and ask..."Your son just died. How do you feel?"

I never considered that news, just sensationalism and really just vulturism.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hoover-ball said:

Everyone of the "insiders" who rushed to social media to brag about knowing the story were just trying to get credit for being insiders. Claiming to be in the know on the "inside joke" only helped to lessen the spotlight on a very serious issue. Look right here were we are talking about the rumors and not the actual sexual harassment.

Jerry Richardson was only fined. I doubt the NFL will be taking draft picks from the fan base. 

2 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I see it both ways. Having been a reporter (though not a sports' reporter) you always want to get the most unguarded quote. You want to put the listener, reader, or viewer as close as you can to the moment. On the other hand, for the very reason you are describing (albeit on a much more serious issue) when I accepted a job as a reporter I told my boss the one thing I will never do is stick a mic under someone's nose and ask..."Your son just died. How do you feel?"

I never considered that news, just sensationalism and really just vulturism.

Yeah I get why reporters want to do it, I just always thought it was inappropriate. Props to you for telling your boss that though.

Also if you want to still get that raw quote, you can always get them in the tunnel. Going to the ONE place they have to change and unwind from millions of people watching them, etc, is inappropriate to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

My thoughts right now: Ron Rivera will be with this organization for a long, long time. His duties are not only to coach, but they're to change the entire culture of this organization. Now that his name is attached as sort of the savior, he's not going anywhere. I hope he's a good X's and O's coach, that's my biggest concern with him. 

I dont know what it takes for some of you to learn, so many of you keep banging your head against the wall....bang..bang..bang! First, it was all the high priced FA's, then Spurrier, then Gibbs, then Shanny and Bruce, now its Ron thats going to save the franchise. Why would Ron want to stay one minute more then he had too?

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

While reading this something must have gotten in my left eye. There’s an unusual moisture forming there for some reason.  👍

Could be a fungal issue? I'd definitely get it checked out

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Man, they're tearing Snyder a new one on 980

The time is now to get the guy out of there. He has a good 4 more decades in him and do we really want that after the last 2?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Panninho said:

What did they say?

He's absolutely destroyed the franchise, he isn't a redskins fan, he's basically a piece of garbage and the league needs to do whatever they can to get Dan out of the league. They're bashing all of his hires, including Gruden who they're claiming is a bum with a drinking problem. 

They're also convinced Ron isn't gonna work, because at the end of the day that little "pissant" is still the owner.

Edited by PartyPosse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, PartyPosse said:

He's absolutely destroyed the franchise, he isn't a redskins fan, he's basically a piece of garbage and the league needs to do whatever they can to get Dan out of the league. They're bashing all of his hires, including Gruden who they're claiming is a bum with a drinking problem. 

Who on 980 is saying that?

23 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I dont know what it takes for some of you to learn, so many of you keep banging your head against the wall....bang..bang..bang! First, it was all the high priced FA's, then Spurrier, then Gibbs, then Shanny and Bruce, now its Ron thats going to save the franchise. Why would Ron want to stay one minute more then he had too?

Ron to me, seems like the type of guy that will do whatever he can to fix a problem. I never said Ron was going to save the franchise, I'm saying he's going to be here for a long time regardless if we do good or bad. He's a PR shield right now for Snyder. 

45 minutes ago, kleese said:

I’m also gonna throw this out there... the owner prior to Snyder, one who is generally universally loved/appreciated by the fanbase... well, I think it’s pretty clear JKC wouldn’t have been able to get too far with his “style” by today’s standards. This isn’t excuse-making; more just making sure we don’t travel too far down the road of hypocrisy. 

JKC set up a great football structure and let JG and BB do what they do-without interfering.  He would be as successful today as he was then.  

JKC wasn’t perfect - but Syner isn’t fit to be JKC’s chauffeur.

4 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

They're idiotic. Who cares if Jay is a drunk, or if Snyder is an ass? 

The Gruden remark was more indicative of the type of "bros" that Snyder hires. The Snyder tirade was pretty much a bullet point rehash of every mistake he'd made that basically destroyed the once proud legacy of the team.

39 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I understand the need to hype up, BUT if the journalists all claimed they knew what it was about, how could they not see that what they were doing was eventually going to be counterproductive to the #metoo movement.

some of them knew. Someone like JLC knew. He’s a former WaPo and Redskins beat reporter and has relationships with people there still. In fact he’s a weekly guest on Kornheisers podcast, where Liz Clark (shared the byline) is a frequent guest-host. 

Some just wanted to protect their reporter credibility. They’d rather say they know but it’s not their story, than yeah I was clueless about a giant scandal over 10 years for this thing I’m assigned to report on. 

in either case I think it’s grossly irresponsible. In JLc’s case you can even ignore the ethical and other issues in regards to the publoc, and simply focus on how he overhyped a story a friend of is (Liz Clarke) worked on presumably for a long time and with a lot of effort and probably a lot of distress (I’m sure that’s not an easy thing to investigate, mentally). He set her, his friend who was probably very proud of her hard work, up for failure. The article couldn’t and didn’t live up to the hype. And maybe that’s overly harsh for his one tweet but it doesn’t exist in a vacuum, it’s part of a bunch of people doing the same thing and it all adds up to damaging his friend and he participated in it. 

Kevin Sheehan had a guest Wednesday, investigative reporter for the Atlantic, and it was good cause he unintentionally dropped some nuggets (like that 2-3 outlets were working on the same story and he wasn’t convinced WaPo would beat the other 2 to breaking it, and that situation could have led to the current situation potentially being the WaPo released what they could now but not everything because they wanted credit for their hard work) but he went on a tirade about his fellow media people. The gist of it was: if it’s not your story, and you’re not willing to put details to it, then shut up because your desire to protect your cred only serves to hurt the people doing all the hard work (and also potentially defame the subject of the piece irresponsibly)

• Like 1

Yesterday I posted in this thread that I wondered how much Ron knew before taking the job and now we have that answer.

Ron (and most people in this scenario) would never say they regretted taking the job when put on the spot like that and maybe it's even true that he doesn't regret it but he has to have lost some trust in Dan.

That Rhiannon Walker story is pretty shameful.

Edited by JSSkinz