Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Look man, I get it, you always have a more hopeful view on certain topics than I do. But I don't believe for a second that she doesn't know what goes on at Redskins Park, how Dan treats his employees personally, and who he is as a person.

If she didn't bolt then, she's not gonna bolt now. Imo, the fact that she was one of the people behind that initiative, in no way means that she's going to protect the women subjected to abuse/harrassment by her husbands team.

In fact, it's very likely she knew, and did not care. If that wasn't  the case, tcase she definitely knows now, but I'm positive ain't **** gonna happen as a result.

You right, I know me, and you are right to say if this doesn't do it nothing will. And the odds are not zero, but might as well be.

There's no doubt in my mind she knew what was going on, but any hope vs no hope doesn't equal pie in the sky.

See, if I turn off my hope here, I'm throwing stuff in the trash can this weekend that isn't a jersey or signed by someone, a preliminary first step followed only by a last one for whenever I decide to finally push the button. I've been waiting to see if this gets better my entire life, it only got worse from a f'n with my personal values standpoint.

This is very much a me problem, but if i leave, im not coming back, so hope is one of the few things stopping me right now.  Not hope we might start winning, but hope I can explain this to my kids with a straight face why im still doing it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

What’s the difference? So you can judge whether or not he’s squirming or looks uncomfortable? So you can examine how he delivers the words and decide right there and then he’s lying? It’s all moot until there’s actual change. Only time will tell but right now any manner in which he delivered a statement would have been taken with a grain of salt.

I don't think the words make the difference, it's the actions and I'd consider him standing up and facing the music to be progress.  He paid Bruce for a decade to stand up there and be his kevlar.  It's time he stands up and faces the music himself, if not only for our amusement by watching him squirm.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You right, I know me, and you are right to say if this doesn't do it nothing will. And the odds are not zero, but might as well be.

There's no doubt in my mind she knew what was going on, but any hope vs no hope doesn't equal pie in the sky.

See, if I turn off my hope here, I'm throwing stuff in the trash can this weekend that isn't a jersey or signed by someone, a preliminary first step followed only by a last one for whenever I decide to finally push the button. I've been waiting to see if this gets better my entire life, it only got worse from a f'n with my personal values standpoint.

This is very much a me problem, but if i leave, im not coming back, so hope is one of the few things stopping me right now.  Not hope we might start winning, but hope I can explain this to my kids with a straight face why im still doing it.

I get it. I, however, am basically in a LOST episode, down in the hatch,  and eyeing that control panel with the red button.

Fans in our age group have had to put up with so much bull**** from this guy, its hard to fathom.

I don't know where to go from here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think the words make the difference, it's the actions and I'd consider him standing up and facing the music to be progress.  He paid Bruce for a decade to stand up there and be his kevlar.  It's time he stands up and faces the music himself, if not only for our amusement by watching him squirm.

Respectfully disagree. Real change comes with actual change, not just the illusion from a willingness to stand up there and face the music. He’s all that’s left really from that entire regime so by merely being that one survivor he’s already facing the music. Have you seen social media? No one is giving him a pass.

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Respectfully disagree. Real change comes with actual change, not just the illusion from a willingness to stand up there and face the music. He’s all that’s left really from that entire regime so by merely being that one survivor he’s already facing the music. Have you seen social media? No one is giving him a pass.

By no means was my point that simply standing up and facing the music equates to “real change” and that all would be right with him or the organization.

But it would be a start for him.  As he is many other terrible things, he’s a weasel.

My thoughts right now: Ron Rivera will be with this organization for a long, long time. His duties are not only to coach, but they're to change the entire culture of this organization. Now that his name is attached as sort of the savior, he's not going anywhere. I hope he's a good X's and O's coach, that's my biggest concern with him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

"

General manager Bobby Beathard made it clear early on that he didn’t want a woman covering his team. “It messes up everything that they’re sending you out here,” he told me.

He was concerned about my presence in the locker room, which was the place where reporters interviewed the players. I told him I had no problems with it.

“I know you’re a nice girl and I know you don’t really want to go in there,” Beathard said.

I reiterated that it wasn’t an issue. I don’t think he heard me."

Perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned and prudish, but it seems to me that, in fact, it was she that didn't hear Beathard, not the other way around.

I get the argument that women reporters make about it being a competitive disadvantage for them to not be able to get quotes from players in the locker room, but I agree with Beathard that it is simply inappropriate to allow members of the opposite sex to enter a sex-specific locker room.  People will be in various stages of undress in a locker room.  Reporters of the opposite sex of an athlete should just accept what is appropriate and get their interviews somewhere other than in the locker room, IMO.  For her to say it was OK with her is, IMO, totally beside the point.  It isn't her decision to decide that it is OK.  What if some of the players would prefer privacy or feel somewhat uncomfortable being naked in front of a woman asking them questions?  What about the players' wives and families preferring that women not be in their husband's/son's/father's presence when they were naked?  I've never really understood that; and for players to, in turn, be held accountable for anything they may say in the locker room that might offend a woman reporter seems unfair to me.  For a woman to claim to be offended that a player said something sexually suggestive or the like while she was staring at his naked body just seems bizarre, on its face.  As I said, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I also didn't understand her story about the player that told his wife that he was out on an interview with her as a cover for his adultery, asking her to confirm that, should his wife ask.  How is that sexual harassment?  Slimy and in poor taste?  Of course.  Inappropriate?  Sure.  I would guess that, more often than not, guys committing adultery use their male friends as their cover story, rather than a female acquaintance.  That is equally slimy and inappropriate.  The reporter being a woman doesn't matter in this instance, does it?  Seems to me she should just have said, "Don't involve me in your family matters.  I'm not going to lie to your wife."  It is certainly wrong to ask such a thing of anyone of either sex, but in any case, I don't see that as being sexual harassment of the reporter.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

That wasn't a day after the sexual harassment ALLEGATIONS...that was a day after the final investigative report was issued. That was 7 months after the allegations.

Here was his response the day after allegations.  Note that he didnt terminate any execs who had allegations immediately, and both were gone years prior.

"And I started doing some, asking some questions. Terdema Ussery was hired before I got here, and the assertions you made were news to me. I talked to our HR person and again after these came up. And I was told there had been no complaints since I bought the team or even prior to that. None. And based off of what I’ve read here, um, we just fired our HR person. I don’t have any tolerance for what I’ve read… I feel sick to my stomach.”

"I want to deal with this this issue. I mean, this is, I obviously there’s a problem in the Mavericks organization and we’ve got to fix it. That’s it. And we’re going to take every step. It’s not something we tolerate. I don’t want it. It’s not something that’s acceptable. I’m embarrassed, to be honest with you, that it happened under my ownership, and it needs to be fixed. Period. End of story.”

"It was bad, but we made a mistake about the whole thing and didn't pursue what happened with the police after the fact," Cuban told ESPN, referring to the first of two incidents. 

"I want to be clear, I'm not putting the blame on anybody else," Cuban said. "It came down to my final decision that I made."..."and because we didn't dig in with the details – and obviously it was a horrible mistake in hindsight"

Contrast that with our illustrious owners day-after statements.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Is that what the bombshell was, sexual harassment? I don't mean to downplay, but everyone made this sound like the third coming of Zombie Jesus. This sounds like the Ruby Tuesday I worked at back in my early twenties.

For those hoping this leads to Dan's removal; keep dreaming. There is no way the NFL forces him to sell just based on the WP article. If they set that precedent, they will be setting themselves up for the same thing.  You don't think other organizations have similar problems?  You think the NFL wants everyone looking into what goes on with all the teams?

The only way Snyder is forced to sell, is if there's evidence tying Dan to sexual harassment or more dirt comes out about Dan himself.  Some of those rumors posted yesterday are true and that comes out, with the evidence to prove it.

You can hope the sponsors exert pressure but I think those sponsors may have some of the same problems; if you really looked into their organizations. 

So, if you really pinning your hopes on Dan being forced to sell; you better be praying more dirt comes out.

Dan's lawyer will investigate.  Present some PR plan for Dan to save his sorry ass. Dan will implement it.  The NFL will fine Dan and maybe take away a low round draft pick or two. That will be it.

I think Ron is going to end up being the most powerful coach under Snyder since Marty.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

My thoughts right now: Ron Rivera will be with this organization for a long, long time. His duties are not only to coach, but they're to change the entire culture of this organization. Now that his name is attached as sort of the savior, he's not going anywhere. I hope he's a good X's and O's coach, that's my biggest concern with him. 

I'd be perfectly ok with that, if the culture changed.  i've never thought to give up on this team while they're losing.  I can live with losing.  It's the extracurricular crap that goes on with this organization that makes me question how I feel being a Redskins' fan. 

I’m also gonna throw this out there... the owner prior to Snyder, one who is generally universally loved/appreciated by the fanbase... well, I think it’s pretty clear JKC wouldn’t have been able to get too far with his “style” by today’s standards. This isn’t excuse-making; more just making sure we don’t travel too far down the road of hypocrisy. 

39 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Here was his response the day after allegations.  Note that he didnt terminate any execs who had allegations immediately, and both were gone years prior.

"And I started doing some, asking some questions. Terdema Ussery was hired before I got here, and the assertions you made were news to me. I talked to our HR person and again after these came up. And I was told there had been no complaints since I bought the team or even prior to that. None. And based off of what I’ve read here, um, we just fired our HR person. I don’t have any tolerance for what I’ve read… I feel sick to my stomach.”

"I want to deal with this this issue. I mean, this is, I obviously there’s a problem in the Mavericks organization and we’ve got to fix it. That’s it. And we’re going to take every step. It’s not something we tolerate. I don’t want it. It’s not something that’s acceptable. I’m embarrassed, to be honest with you, that it happened under my ownership, and it needs to be fixed. Period. End of story.”

"It was bad, but we made a mistake about the whole thing and didn't pursue what happened with the police after the fact," Cuban told ESPN, referring to the first of two incidents. 

"I want to be clear, I'm not putting the blame on anybody else," Cuban said. "It came down to my final decision that I made."..."and because we didn't dig in with the details – and obviously it was a horrible mistake in hindsight"

Contrast that with our illustrious owners day-after statements.

Here's what one of the victims said after hearing Cuban's remarks:

My Story: Melissa Weishaupt Goes on the Record About Mavs’ Culture of Harassment

I’m using my name because I’m still not sure the Mavericks get it. Since the story broke, owner Mark Cuban has repeatedly claimed he oversaw only the basketball side of that franchise, not the business side.

Sorry. It doesn’t work that way. You own 100% of the team, Mark. The buck stops with you. When I worked on the Mavs’ business side, all marketing, promotional and broadcasting decisions went through you. Nothing was decided without your approval.

I am using my name because I am convinced that Cuban still doesn’t recognize the culture he’s helped create or the plight of the women who still work for him. From where I sit, Mark’s response was to rush in like some white knight in a T-shirt and jeans and yell, Don’t worry, ladies of the Mavs, I will help you with paid counseling and a hotline you can call!

Now you want to help? We are not fragile flowers. We don’t long for counseling. (As for that hotline: I’ve spoken with a dozen current and former team employees; we have no idea what this is or how to find it.)

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/20/dallas-mavericks-melissa-weishaupt-sexual-harassment-culture-mark-cuban?li_source=LI&li_medium=m2m-rcw-sports-illustrated

A fat lot of good Cuban's initial response did, huh?...His response 7 months later was far superior.

EDIT: pretty sure she was referring to this from his initial response:

"Yeah, my involvement was on the basketball side. And the basketball and the business side were completely different. I mean, it’s just the truth of the matter is, I deferred to, I had a CEO and I let them do their job. I had a director of HR and I let them do their job.... Jon, you saw how we ran. I focused on basketball. I declare over and over and over again this is not about as long as the revenue came in. You know, that’s absolutely incorrect. I did not know."

Edited by Califan007

When I asked the coach how he planned to change Washington’s workplace culture, he reminded me his daughter Courtney now works for Washington’s NFL team (she worked for the Panthers, too). Rivera also texted me the statement he had issued Thursday.

“Biggest thing is that we have to move forward from this and make sure everybody understands we have policies that we will follow and that we have an open door policy with no retribution,” Rivera texted. “Plus my daughter works for the team and I sure as hell am not going to allow any of this!”

Edited by Fresh8686

20 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

I'd be perfectly ok with that, if the culture changed.  i've never thought to give up on this team while they're losing.  I can live with losing.  It's the extracurricular crap that goes on with this organization that makes me question how I feel being a Redskins' fan. 

The culture will obviously be better, I hate Dan but I'm not blind to the fact that he's going to want to keep spotlight off of him. My biggest worry is that there will be no structure. We need a team President, and if I were the team I would STRONGLY look into hiring a woman for the job. A media savvy woman that understands football. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Sorry, I don't follow the NBA and I didn't really follow this story.  what was his response 7 months later?

“I’m just sorry I didn’t see it. I’m sorry I didn’t recognize it. I just hope that out of this we’ll be better and we can avoid it and we help make everybody just smarter about the whole thing. In hindsight, it was staring me right in the face and I missed it. I didn't know and I don't have an explanation. I can give you lots of reasons but they don't matter. What matters is it was my responsibility, it didn't happen and I have to be accountable for it."

he flushed the "I only dealt with the basketball side of things" down the toilet and did what the victim above said he should do: had the buck stop with him. it just took him longer than 24 hours to do so.

Edited by Califan007

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Has Doc said anything about his boy Larry Michael?  He's disappointed in him, he barely knew the guy, he heard nothing , saw nothing, anything?

Doc said something to the effect of, "I never saw this when I was with him. He was too smart to do it in front of me." Paraphrasing what I heard while in the car. Otherwise, Doc proclaimed his ignorance about any wrongdoing.

Edited by Burgold
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Perhaps I'm a bit old-fashioned and prudish, but it seems to me that, in fact, it was she that didn't hear Beathard, not the other way around.

I get the argument that women reporters make about it being a competitive disadvantage for them to not be able to get quotes from players in the locker room, but I agree with Beathard that it is simply inappropriate to allow members of the opposite sex to enter a sex-specific locker room.  People will be in various stages of undress in a locker room.  Reporters of the opposite sex of an athlete should just accept what is appropriate and get their interviews somewhere other than in the locker room, IMO.  For her to say it was OK with her is, IMO, totally beside the point.  It isn't her decision to decide that it is OK.  What if some of the players would prefer privacy or feel somewhat uncomfortable being naked in front of a woman asking them questions?  What about the players' wives and families preferring that women not be in their husband's/son's/father's presence when they were naked?  I've never really understood that; and for players to, in turn, be held accountable for anything they may say in the locker room that might offend a woman reporter seems unfair to me.  For a woman to claim to be offended that a player said something sexually suggestive or the like while she was staring at his naked body just seems bizarre, on its face.  As I said, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Pretty easy fix there, don't let ANY media into the locker room. I never understood that. The team gives you access everywhere else (outside the locker rooms, in the tunnel, on the sidelines, at training camp, in the press conference room, etc etc etc... why do they also need to be where the players are changing?

• Like 2