Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

43 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I have zero problems, so to speak, with this management team. There is a lot of experience, and it seems like a lot of voices are heard.

I think we're desperate sometimes for immediate results, and while Ron Rivera has not produced immediate results here in Washington, he has contributed to an improved culture. Zooming out and looking at where this team is at people will understand in the future how difficult the time it was. There is something to be said for the accomplishments of this staff during the WFT era.

Do I love some of the picks in the draft? No. But, I understand the rationale behind the picks and appreciate why the selections were made. I do think the 2021 draft has been underwhelming, however the staff does deserve some credit as it pertains to the development of this team up to this point. I'm holding our hope on the 2021 draft because it was all projection guys. 

2022 is a big year for this franchise. Ron is here for 5 minimum and likely closer to 10 than 4 years at the helm. 

Just dont think you can sell the fan base on hope and future with 4 years of blehhh results for an extension.

I am totally fine with not having immediate results as long as their is a dedicated plan in place. Are we rebuilding? Are we competing? Are we tanking? Are we sticking with Dwayne or not? Ron has given mixed messages not only with his words but his actions. Hes trying to do multiple things at once and failing at both of them IMO and it is hurting us. Were in no different of a place now than where we were in 2020 when he got here. No closer to championships and seemingly no path to get there. 

Edited by Zim489
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Ron is most likely fired either this year or next; just like all coaches besides Joe and Steve. Steve quit.

This is wrong, and incredibly short sided.  The clock on Rivera started the moment that he passed up on drafting QB last year, and settling for the 40 year old Fitzpatrick.  That was a really dumb move, and it highlights just how stupid we were last offseason with regards to the QB position.  Now Ron is looking at year 3, and his options are even crappier than last year.  He has to now swing really big to acquire a Vet via trade.  Possibly multiple 1st round picks.  And it might not be enough anyways.

He could draft a QB, but this class is clearly worse than last year’s class.  He’s really backed himself into a corner.  If he can’t land Rodgers, Wilson or Carr via trade, he’s stuck selling the fan base on a rookie QB, and a crappy bridge QB like Trubisky/Mariotta.  That’s a nightmare scenario, and will eventually get him canned when 20K people show up to the games with the lack of marquee opponents on the home schedule next year.

Edit, sorry Rdskns2000.  I was responding to Silvernon’s post saying that Ron was safe, and that he could get an extension.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

I thought the Fitz signing was a waste too, but Jay Gruden got over 5 seasons and an extension here. Sorry, I don't see Ron's seat being the least bit warm right now.

Attendance wise, the situation sucks, but I also think the Skins have reached a floor as to how many people show up. It won't get a lot better as long as we are in Landover, but it won't get much worse either.

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I thought the Fitz signing was a waste too, but Jay Gruden got over 5 seasons and an extension here. Sorry, I don't see Ron's seat being the least bit warm right now.

Attendance wise, the situation sucks, but I also think the Skins have reached a floor as to how many people show up. It won't get a lot better as long as we are in Landover, but it won't get much worse either.

Again how are you going to sell the fan base on Ron extension who at that point would have accomplished less than crappy Jay Gruden who didnt get to pick his own QB when Ron does get to pick everything and failed. 

12 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Bad news: You're bleeding to death.

Good news: Soon you'll stop bleeding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Again how are you going to sell the fan base on Ron extension who at that point would have accomplished less than crappy Jay Gruden who didnt get to pick his own QB when Ron does get to pick everything and failed. 

To be honest, I don't know. But we've had now 30 years of this nonsense (including a few before Snyder). The TV money is so lucrative that Snyder probably doesn't care about the butts in seats at FedEx, and probably doesn't see any ramifications as far as the new stadium.

My point again is that people look at the 2000s Snyder instead of the 2010s Snyder. Dan still is too involved (see Haskins) for my liking, but he is giving his head coaches more of a chance. He only fired Gruden after a disastrous 2019 start, which is what Cooke Jr shouldve done with Norv in 1998.

Edited by hail2skins

Regardless of whether we tangibly improve or not in the next couple years, in all likelihood Rivera becomes our Marvin Lewis (stable, steady, respectable and long-tenured despite the ceiling likely being the wildcard round) and people probably need to come to terms with that and just hope he figures out the QB position at least once in that time, and that he has the guts to make moves at the coordinator positions when necessary. 

To answer a question someone had about selling Rivera to the fans if he doesn’t improve soon—Snyder doesn’t need to sell the fans on anything, just like it doesn’t matter how much people hate the new name. There are hardly any WAS fans and that’s not where his money comes from. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Regardless of whether we tangibly improve or not in the next couple years, in all likelihood Rivera becomes our Marvin Lewis (stable, steady, respectable and long-tenured despite the ceiling likely being the wildcard round) and people probably need to come to terms with that and just hope he figures out the QB position at least once in that time, and that he has the guts to make moves at the coordinator positions when necessary. 

Yeah but after all of this, I’d take Marvin Lewis’s above .500 and into the playoffs 7 time record.

Also don’t entirely sell Ron short: he did get a team to the SB and a 15-1 record.  

I’m on team Ron. I think if he can figure out the QB position, this can be a good team.  They have gotten to 7 wins each of the first two years with a combination of Haskins, Smith and TH taking the majority of the snaps. I doubt there is one other NFL team who would want any of those guys taking any snaps for them, in their current situations.  

They just need to find a competent QB and I think they can take the next step. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yeah but after all of this, I’d take Marvin Lewis’s above .500 and into the playoffs 7 time record.

Also don’t entirely sell Ron short: he did get a team to the SB and a 15-1 record.  

I’m on team Ron. I think if he can figure out the QB position, this can be a good team.  They have gotten to 7 wins each of the first two years with a combination of Haskins, Smith and TH taking the majority of the snaps. I doubt there is one other NFL team who would want any of those guys taking any snaps for them, in their current situations.  

They just need to find a competent QB and I think they can take the next step. 

I was more so saying that he is going to be here for a while regardless, not necessarily putting a ceiling on him. Doing better than averaging ~.500 and a wildcard round exit over those years is all going to depend on figuring out QB, and I don’t think it’s definite that he only gets one more crack at it. Snyder can’t do better than him and Rivera gives us about as much legitimacy football-wise and in the media as is possible given everything else. I think he’s got a long leash and I don’t think Snyder is particularly upset by the outcome the last couple years. 

I think Rivera does feel urgency now at the QB position, but it’s because he thinks he has a pretty good roster otherwise and wants to capitalize. Not because he thinks his job security is under any sort of pressure from ownership. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I was more so saying that he is going to be here for a while regardless, not necessarily putting a ceiling on him. Doing better than averaging ~.500 and a wildcard round exit over those years is all going to depend on figuring out QB, and I don’t think it’s definite that he only gets one more crack at it. Snyder can’t do better than him and Rivera gives us about as much legitimacy football-wise and in the media as is possible given everything else. I think he’s got a long leash and I don’t think Snyder is particularly upset by the outcome the last couple years. 

I think Rivera does feel urgency now at the QB position, but it’s because he think he has a pretty good roster otherwise and wants to capitalize. Not because he thinks his job security is under any sort of pressure from ownership. 

Ok, I agree.  Though I think the longevity has to come with some degree of success.  Ron can't go 4-13 next year followed by 6-11 and then keep his job.

I think there's almost no chance he's on the hot seat this year or next year.  However, at the end of year 4, you have to either fire him or extend him.  You just can't have a coach/head of football ops going into a lame duck year. 

I also agree that he believes he has a good roster, and with good QB play, they can at least contend for the division and maybe get to the division round of the playoffs.  

I think he also sees there are some key pieces who probably won't be here in a few years, so this is their chance.  For the first time, there are probably 4-5 players who might deserve big-money, long term extensions all at the same time. McLaurin, Sweat, Young, Maatt I., Kurl down the road, etc.  They have a lot of good players on cheap deals now, they need to at least make a mini-run with this group before they are going to start losing them.

Hindsight being 20/20, they really invested too many assets in the DL through the draft in a compressed period of time.  Having a great DL is really nice, but it really isn't the most ideal roster construction.  Which, of course, is something you would expect with Bruce, who's responsible for most of that.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, I agree.  Though I think the longevity has to come with some degree of success.  Ron can't go 4-13 next year followed by 6-11 and then keep his job.

I think there's almost no chance he's on the hot seat this year or next year.  However, at the end of year 4, you have to either fire him or extend him.  You just can't have a coach/head of football ops going into a lame duck year. 

I also agree that he believes he has a good roster, and with good QB play, they can at least contend for the division and maybe get to the division round of the playoffs.  

I think he also sees there are some key pieces who probably won't be here in a few years, so this is their chance.  For the first time, there are probably 4-5 players who might deserve big-money, long term extensions all at the same time. McLaurin, Sweat, Young, Maatt I., Kurl down the road, etc.  They have a lot of good players on cheap deals now, they need to at least make a mini-run with this group before they are going to start losing them.

Hindsight being 20/20, they really invested too many assets in the DL through the draft in a compressed period of time.  Having a great DL is really nice, but it really isn't the most ideal roster construction.  Which, of course, is something you would expect with Bruce, who's responsible for most of that.  

Theres no chance of him being fired this year unless for what ever reason he loses the locker room and something atrocious like 2-15. The issue is about after the following year. Say we go 5-12 this year because were playing a rookie QB. And next year we go 6-11 with the rookie not looking better. It would be year 5 of the 5 year deal entering. HCs dont coach on lame duck years. How can you give him extension? 7-9 7-10 5-12 6-11 with 1 fraud playoff appearance.

Hes either not coaching the 2024 season or hes coaching until at least the 2026 season.

Edited by Zim489

49 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

Theres no chance of him being fired this year unless for what ever reason he loses the locker room and something atrocious like 2-15. The issue is about after the following year. Say we go 5-12 this year because were playing a rookie QB. And next year we go 6-11 with the rookie not looking better. It would be year 5 of the 5 year deal entering. HCs dont coach on lame duck years. How can you give him extension? 7-9 7-10 5-12 6-11 with 1 fraud playoff appearance.

Hes either not coaching the 2024 season or hes coaching until at least the 2026 season.

Just keep in mind they have to extend him after the 2023 season. Or fire him, or he retires, or something.  He's not going into 2024 a  lame duck.

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

God I hope that event tanks :ols: 

What are the chances they pay employees to go attend the event to give the appearance that the fans actually care?

Well that would be cool if they did that.

Google is telling me that there's 316 people working for the team. That would be priceless to watch :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

If Rivera can solve either MLB or QB this off season ill be happy, is that too much to ask?

No but it may be too little. He really needs to solve both (plus fill other lesser needs) even if one isn't fully ready to be ready to be that answer in week 1.