Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, method man said:

Jay would be good in personnel. We know he was responsible for choosing Ioannidis and Holcomb. 

He was also apparently so angry they wouldn't draft Trey Quinn in the 4th round, that he left the draft room for the day.  He's had some great spots talent wise, but also some really bad ones.  Like his insistence that Ryan Grant was going to break out.  Hmm, maybe have him review only defensive prospects...

Anyone know who was pounding the table for Josh Doctson and Sua Cravens?  I'm trying to remember and can't.  Could it have been all McCloughan, or was it consensus or what?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Anyone know who was pounding the table for Josh Doctson and Sua Cravens?  I'm trying to remember and can't.  Could it have been all McCloughan, or was it consensus or what?

Sua had great tape at USC. Joe Barry recruited him when he coached there, and so he vouched for his character. Too bad Joe Barry is a ****ing moron, and didn’t find out from his sources at USC that he walked away from the team and quit. Then guess what he did here lol.

Sean McVay was apparently really high on Doctson, and McC panicked and took him after trading down when Ryan Kelly (the player they desperately wanted, which they did a really poor job of keeping quiet) was snatched up by the Colts. 

• Thanks 2

Just wishful thinking.

But wouldn't it have been nice if Coy Gibbs have become a great coach, after his Dad made him Quality Control Assistant  ?

A lot of good coaches started out on the bottom rung like that, in QC. Plus he had the bloodline in his favor.

So I wonder, how good he could have become if he stuck with it.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Sua had great tape at USC. Joe Barry recruited him when he coached there, and so he vouched for his character. Too bad Joe Barry is a ****ing moron, and didn’t find out from his sources at USC that he walked away from the team and quit. Then guess what he did here lol.

Sean McVay was apparently really high on Doctson, and McC panicked and took him after trading down when Ryan Kelly (the player they desperately wanted, which they did a really poor job of keeping quiet) was snatched up by the Colts. 

Aha, thanks!

McVay was high on Doctson huh?  2016 was a weird draft.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Why couldn't Coy Gibbs have become a great coach, when his Dad made him Quality Control Assistant through 2007 ?

Have wondered how good he could have become if he stuck with it. Or if he was just destined for Quality Control in the NFL.

Seems he retired early from racing, then retired early from football.

Or I'm just wishful thinking.

Why would we want more nepotism in this league?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, method man said:

Jay would be good in personnel. We know he was responsible for choosing Ioannidis and Holcomb. 

And Ryan Grant, and Trey Quinn, and Samaje Perine.......

20 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Ryan Kelly was a good player in the first round of the draft. Keeping quiet about him wouldn't have gotten him to us. There were more teams than just Washington that would have wanted him.

Edited by NickyJ

34 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Ryan Kelly was a good player in the first round of the draft. Keeping quiet about him wouldn't have gotten him to us. There were more teams than just Washington that would have wanted him.

Grant and Quinn were decent values and Perine is still playing in the league

10 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

He played favorites way too much on this team with mediocre talent, especially at the RB position.

I am talking about pure roster selection

1 hour ago, method man said:

Grant and Quinn were decent values and Perine is still playing in the league

I am talking about pure roster selection

Grant was good value for his draft spot, however Jay's insistence that WR wasn't as much of an issue because Grant was going to produce more was harmful.  Quinn was average value for a 7th rounder, which is out of the league within two years.

Perine was not good value.  RB production can be found everywhere in the draft and as UDFA.  The other RB's taken later in the 4th round of that same draft and have had better careers are Marlon Mack, Tarik Cohen, Wayne Gallman, and Jamaal Williams.  Aaron Jones was taken in the 5th, and Chris Carson was taken in the 7th.  So yeah, Perine was a bad pick in comparison.

I’m not buying the idea that Jay was a good evaluator of talent just because he found a few guys. In reality, none of them ended up being anything more than JAGs. It’s not like he was out there drafting the Russel Wilson or Tom Bradys of the world. Yea I’m fully aware that “oh but he was hampered by Snyder and Allen”...still don’t believe it.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Wasn’t Kelly taken the exact pick before us?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RabidFan said:

Wasn’t Kelly taken the exact pick before us?

Yeah, but it’s not like the Colts traded ahead of us to get him, right? No amount of staying quiet was going to make them think he’d fall to them in the next round or something. That all worked out fine considering we have a good center now. Doctson was a mistake as a soft, over-aged upperclassman obviously. Michael Thomas was the obvious pick there for many, even at the time. 

Age and experience have made each secure in who he is, and that brings us back to the benefit of having this sort of knowhow in the building. Along those lines, both guys brought specific examples to illustrate what they’d learned from previous failures as GMs.

For Hurney, it relates back to the clogged cap that helped lead to his initial ouster from the Panthers in 2012 and his relationship with then Carolina cap chief Rob Rodgers, who happens to be in Washington now, too.

“He has a very good feel for the numbers,” Hurney said. “Sometimes I think, at least in my case, I would get emotionally involved in trying to get a player, trying to make the team better, because that’s what you’re focused on—winning games. I learned that, Hey, listen, this is his area of expertise. He knows how to translate a player’s résumé to what he should make and the contract negotiation part of it

And I think he would tell you the second time around was much better. Overall, and big picture-wise, that’s what I’ve learned.

“People have their areas of expertise, and not that you don’t give your opinion, but you listen and let them do their jobs. That was one of the big things I learned from the first time around.”

Mayhew’s example wasn’t totally dissimilar—it also came over time, and proved true from one experience (Detroit) to another (San Francisco, where he was the last four years).

“One thing that I’ve learned is we have to be fully aligned and fully on the same page,” Mayhew said. “That’s not just coaches and the personnel department. I’m talking about the players have to be fully bought in, ownership has to be fully bought in. And I saw that firsthand in San Francisco in 2019, the way that season went, and also the start of this 

past season. Obviously didn’t go the way we wanted, but the alignment was definitely there.

“And everybody was on board. Everybody was doing their part in moving toward that common goal. You really can’t say that about the entire time that I was in Detroit. There were fits and starts. Times when things worked well and we were all communicating well and things were moving in the right direction. But it wasn’t consistent enough.”

In that way, Mayhew contended that he could connect the Super Bowl team he played on in Washington in 1991 and that San Francisco team of 28 years later. “That’s part of what excites me about working with Marty, working with Ron, is to see that process, see that setup happen again,” Mayhew said. “I want to be a part of it.”

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 1:47 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

**** Jay.

Heartily concur. 

This guy was insanely lucky to have had a head coaching job for nearly 6 years in the league. He's a schlub. Anyone who makes it that far has got some serious know-how and football intelligence compared to the general public, obviously. But compared to his peers in the league? Schlub. Watching him on his local "Coach's Show" all those years doesn't make me long for hearing those "dulcet tones" do a game, either. Ugh. Can you imagine anyone EVER saying they'd "run through a wall" for Jay Gruden? Maybe run INTO one headfirst because of how annoying he is, but through it? Nah. 

Go back to sitting drunk on the sidewalk, smoking, wearing your stupid shoes and hitting on young girls with your gut hanging out, Jay. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 8:59 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Don't know about Cravens but heard multiple times including from Keim, that Sean McVay pounded the table for Doctson.

Didn't Bezos recently change his position at Amazon. Opens up a lot of free time. Gotta do something now.

Man could write a check and buy any team he wanted. Nobody is turning down 30 bazillion dollars. Dude seems committed to doing things in the most economical fashion tho. Guess that's why he is so stupid rich.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Didn't Bezos recently change his position at Amazon. Opens up a lot of free time. Gotta do something now.

Man could write a check and buy any team he wanted. Nobody is turning down 30 bazillion dollars. Dude seems committed to doing things in the most economical fashion tho. Guess that's why he is so stupid rich.

He's stepping down as the CEO of Amazon at the end of 2021.

I called this when they chose Arlington for HQ2. That, plus the WaPo ownership, plus the Kalorama mansion and his desire to be a "social convener" in D.C. all tie-in to him being a logical party to any ownership discussions. The question is, would it be the minority stake (and eventually bump Dan out), or would he go for the whole thing (will Dan be forced to sell?) ... TBD across the board.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's stepping down as the CEO of Amazon at the end of 2021.

I called this when they chose Arlington for HQ2. That, plus the WaPo ownership, plus the Kalorama mansion and his desire to be a "social convener" in D.C. all tie-in to him being a logical party to any ownership discussions. The question is, would it be the minority stake (and eventually bump Dan out), or would he go for the whole thing (will Dan be forced to sell?) ... TBD across the board.

Could be wishful thinking, but why would he iteratively try to get there when he could just take it all at once. Granted, the former would be at market value while the latter might require an overpay.