Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Kyle was so great and so coveted that he took a lateral move with the Falcons.

I liked the dude. Would buy him a sundae at Coldstone. But bemoaning his departure is a bit silly.

He is 36. No one was saying he was ready to be a GM today.  But we should have kept him in tow. 

It is a little short sighted to say since KS hasn't proven to be worthy of a gm position by now then he can't have a role here.  Would you have released a 19 year old ken griffey jr because he only batted .264?  And you could get a vet who could bat .280? Hopefully you would see the potential that griffey could blossom into and provided him support, and give him time, to allow him to reach that potential.  And obviously griffey turned into a hall of famer, and that vet who hit .280 was soon calling games for the Toledo Mud Hens.

Many people, including myself obviously, think he has done an amazing job with our drafts and will only get better, meaning he could have 30+ years of productivity ahead of him.  Pretty impressive resume for a 36 year old, and it didn't take long for him to get the same gig elsewhere.  Not sure why people are confused as to why he had a lot of support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Kyle was so great and so coveted that he took a lateral move with the Falcons.

I liked the dude. Would buy him a sundae at Coldstone. But bemoaning his departure is a bit silly.

And applauding it is stupid. Not all change is good, and his eye for talent is respected enough that he wasn't looking for work very long. He was an asset, and at least one NFL franchise felt the same.

• Like 3

Thinking about getting Mathew Stafford I wonder what he thinks of having his former General Manager with the Redskins?  If he liked how Martin Mayhew drafted players for the Lions then he might consider coming to Washington.  But if he disliked Mayhews draft picks then he and his agent will be certain to do whatever they can to avoid joining the Redskins.

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Thinking about getting Mathew Stafford I wonder what he thinks of having his former General Manager with the Redskins?  If he liked how Martin Mayhew drafted players for the Lions then he might consider coming to Washington.  But if he disliked Mayhews draft picks then he and his agent will be certain to do whatever they can to avoid joining the Redskins.

It would be ironic if Stafford thinks the guy who drafted him was poor at drafting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

He may like the fact that he was drafted by the Lions but he may not like the free agents that Mayhew missed on that could have helped the team be a contender.

Mayhew has missed on a lot of free agents who other teams picked up and did well with over the years.

I agree for the most part.  He never really showed me a lot.  I wanted a new GM (Cowden/Schoen) but as I've said before it's RR show so he either sinks or swims with the hires of Mayhew, Hurney and any other personnel he hires.  Hope it works.  :)

• Like 1

Remember all the articles and posts about how Kyle Smith isn't that big a deal because the last few drafts was the scouting department's work and Smith just happened to sit on top of it? Well, now that's gone too. Enjoy.

Prove me wrong, Rivera. Prove that Mayhew's 7 years in Detroit were completely coincidental.

• Like 4

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,” former coach Jay Gruden said. “[Smith] was really good about listening to the coaches because the coaches also did evaluations. ... When it came our time to pick, we’d always talk about the picks, where we’d like to go, what happens if [the player] is gone, and did all our scenarios. And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

That pick, of course, was quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who was selected by Snyder against the wishes of Washington’s personnel department in 2019. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/29/kyle-smith-atlanta-falcons-washington-football-team/

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,” former coach Jay Gruden said. “[Smith] was really good about listening to the coaches because the coaches also did evaluations. ... When it came our time to pick, we’d always talk about the picks, where we’d like to go, what happens if [the player] is gone, and did all our scenarios. And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

That pick, of course, was quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who was selected by Snyder against the wishes of Washington’s personnel department in 2019. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/29/kyle-smith-atlanta-falcons-washington-football-team/

This is exactly why I say it doesn’t matter how many GM’s Snyder brings in to work with Rivera.  He’s gonna step off his yacht and make the pick anyway.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

42 minutes ago, -JB- said:

This is exactly why I say it doesn’t matter how many GM’s Snyder brings in to work with Rivera.  He’s gonna step off his yacht and make the pick anyway.

The problem with that, though, is this:

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,”

So either Snyder's involvement in the draft helped lead to pretty good draft classes most years, or Snyder stayed on his yacht most years and didn't get involved except for Haskins.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kyle Smith is a talent and its never a good thing to let talent leave the building. Now whether he blossoms into something more than a good eye for talent remains to be seen. Rivera didn't think he had the chops to be GM and brought in people he trusted. Simple as that.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The problem with that, though, is this:

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,”

So either Snyder's involvement in the draft helped lead to pretty good draft classes most years, or Snyder stayed on his yacht most years and didn't get involved except for Haskins.

Yea.  I just can’t say Snyder’s involvement has ever lead to anything remotely good.  Can you??

No doubt Dan has interferred numerous times over the years though I doubt he does it all the time.  Don't get me wrong though interferring sometimes is plenty to spoil the soup.

I got to give mega kudos to Jay though for having some balls.  Dan fired Casserly but Casserly through this day kisses Dan's butt publicly.  Even Shanny is somewhat passive aggressive when talking about Dan, he's even defended him by saying he rarely interferred.  Shanny will lay out Dan though on his behavior with RG3 and the McNabb trade.  Scot touts Dan.  Gibbs will always tout Dan.  Cerrato still likes Dan, his beef seemed to be with Bruce. 

Jay on the other hand produced a classic one liner that almost for certain will be added to the pile of Dan's infamy.  Great sound bite.  He just leveled him with that one liner.  I'd bet that line will be remembered over time just as much as the story about Dan and the vanilla ice cream. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

Everyone one of you who said "Snyder has learned his lesson, he no longer meddles" between 2014 and 2019 had better step up to apologize.

• Like 1