Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

According to this tweet:

It was 2 of the 13 teams that wanted to boycott and the rest wanted to continue.  

Seeing that the 2 teams have now changed their mind and are agreeing to continue the season doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me.

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Someone got the bill 

That’s what I was thinking.  Networks paid huge money for broadcasting rights, players simply deciding they don’t want to play was almost certainly going to result in vast sums of money changing hands. It would have to right? 

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

So how does a child get armed with a weapon of war? Why are his parent not in jail right now? How in the hell is a 17 year old traveling states away with an AR to guard from protesters? What the ACTUAL ****?

It 20 miles, but I agree with you on all this, as well as negligence on the police officers/sheriffs who let him walk around.

18 minutes ago, Yohan said:

It 20 miles, but I agree with you on all this, as well as negligence on the police officers/sheriffs who let him walk around.

States bro. STATES.

(I haven't paid super close attention to the finer details in all this)

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1

Ya'll don't actually think this guy will be found guilty of anything serious do you?

He has an army of witnesses in uniform/authority that will lie and he'll be protected by the GOP all the way from the top.

He'll probably plead out to a lesser crime.

17 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Ya'll don't actually think this guy will be found guilty of anything serious do you?

He has an army of witnesses in uniform/authority that will lie and he'll be protected by the GOP all the way from the top.

He'll probably plead out to a lesser crime.

Right. And the cycle of violence will continue to escalate until one side gives up or gets wiped out. 

Or a compromise can be made. But with Republicans feeding off of it, they have no reason to compromise. Its become a political tool so valuable for them that they see it as hurting them if it stops. Thats a losing proposition for America. 

Kamala Harris is speaking now and she’s rightly speaking out against both the rioters and the vigilantes.  She’s distinguishing them from the movement and protesters.  That’s a smart approach.  

Keep the focus on police reform and systemic racism.  

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

Kamala Harris is speaking now and she’s rightly speaking out against both the rioters and the vigilantes.  She’s distinguishing them from the movement and protesters.  That’s a smart approach.  

Keep the focus on police reform and systemic racism.  

This is an absolute must.  They've got to stop tiptoeing around the rioting and this is a good start.  In fact both her and Biden should go strong on this today, so the pubs have to rewrite their speeches.

• Like 2

I may be off in left field here, but I find myself somewhat heartened by the distressing news and what it may imply. 

When one protests, one has to decide on whether to do it in a way that is convenient for those who are impacted by the protest.  This decision often runs into the reality that many of us do not WANT to be confronted with the things we have done wrong or contributed to happening.  Further, we really don't want to confront what change could or would require us to change in our lives,  Thus, it is almost always inconvenient for us.

However, there are plenty of protests which are convenient for us...They happen around somebody else's dinner table or in a padded cell or shuffled off somewhere where we don't have to be confronted by the crap in our social systems.  Alas, every human social system has crap.  Thus far, it is just part of the human condition.

What is perhaps uniquely human is the desire to address the crap and minimize it's impact.  We are constantly trying to make our societies better places.  It is what pushes us forward and allows for advancement, but let us not pretend there is some clean way to deal with crap, and the more widespread and ingrained the crap is in our systems, the messier it is to clean up.  The way we treat Black lives in our society is very ingrained.  I was just reading an email put out by the president of the American Board of Internal Medicine talking about the death rates from COVID19 in White populations versus Black and Hispanic populations which result from systematic racism within our society.  Often this comes from professions different groups of people have.  An example is the percentage of people who can work from home in these different groups of people.  All of these things add up to a system that gives a disadvantage to Black and Hispanic populations.  

So with that said, I see the rioting and the fires.  I find them the crap of attempted change.  It is getting attention, even if it is akin to my four year old's temper tantrums.  They are regrettable mistakes by people feeling more than thinking.  I see few societal changes without those feelings leading people astray whether it is race rioters wheeling flaming trashcans towards police lines or 16 year olds with rifles shooting protesters.  Big change = feelings of threat = people behaving poorly and making mistakes.  I sincerely hope this does not change the election results, but maybe this is one of the few things bigger than our presidential election. So I am not going to gripe too much about the possible impact on the election as I bemoan the counter productivity of these acts. 

I am just saddened for all involved in the dirty business of flushing the crap. I  hope their efforts do not have the effect of using an entire roll of toilet paper trying to get off the deeply ingrained poop of hundreds of years before trying to flush.  It is entirely possible we all get crap on our shoes.  Will it take that for people to change?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gbear said:

I am just saddened for all involved in the dirty business of flushing the crap. I  hope their efforts do not have the effect of using an entire roll of toilet paper trying to get off the deeply ingrained poop of hundreds of years before trying to flush.  It is entirely possible we all get crap on our shoes.  Will it take that for people to change?

this-country-needs-an-enema.jpg