Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

30 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Expecting the police to do their job is reasonable.

Granted, it is a little bit of a higher bar than the one they already failed to meet of "Don't commit acts of terrorism"

OK, but Portland ACAB has made it very clear that they absolutely do not want or need law enforcement.  

Reasonable expectations are the domain of reasonable people.

7 hours ago, LD0506 said:

118106399_1488093824725719_1169091176755510758_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=kofgPShJb-sAX9ciTKX&_nc_oc=AQkWoqA59Tr18ytvG2JHFG9_i9KdHJp9fyX04WXoxzsRWZQTxMEoNHDwcqr8nTwEDIk&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.fna&oh=a9ce0bee93360bb3bc7f5ec244adf271&oe=5F6CF294

Heres and ugly thing to talk about, but let’s do it anyway, not all rioting is equal.  It’s one thing to topple statues of confederates or even tag federal buildings. It’s another for Americans to turn their TVs on and see small businesses on fire.  

Justifiable anger isn’t a pass to do anything.  We all know this.  If someone reacted to having their spouse murdered by setting the murderers house on fire, they’d get a lot of support.  If they instead set some random innocent persons house on fire in their justifiable rage, the reaction would be much different. 

Riots that randomly destroy businesses that have nothing at all to do with the crime is like that second example.  It doesn’t build support, it destroys it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Destino said:

It doesn’t build support, it destroys it.  

Totally agree. It's similar to that video above with the people surrounding the woman eating on the patio in DC - it hurts the cause and people that would have otherwise been receptive decide to check out after something like that.

Edited by Barry.Randolphe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Riots that randomly destroy businesses that have nothing at all to do with the crime is like that second example.  It doesn’t build support, it destroys it. 

But how do we stop it without making things worse, when half the people doing it (and many online supporters) seem to think it's the only way to get people to pay attention and the other half want to just lash out or tear down the system?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, visionary said:

But how do we stop it without making things worse, when half the people doing it (and many online supporters) seem to think it's the only way to get people to pay attention and the other half want to just lash out or tear down the system?  

We first have to better understand the nature of riots and why they occur to begin with. When you can see photos of riots connected to protesting and photos of riots connected to a sports team winning a championship and can't tell which is which, it starts to point to common denominators that may reside outside of expressing anger. There have been a lot of studies and research into why riots occur, some of it is fascinating but I'm not gonna pretend I know enough to speak knowledgeably about it lol...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Heres and ugly thing to talk about, but let’s do it anyway, not all rioting is equal.  It’s one thing to topple statues of confederates or even tag federal buildings. It’s another for Americans to turn their TVs on and see small businesses on fire.  

Justifiable anger isn’t a pass to do anything.  We all know this.  If someone reacted to having their spouse murdered by setting the murderers house on fire, they’d get a lot of support.  If they instead set some random innocent persons house on fire in their justifiable rage, the reaction would be much different. 

Yup, and here's another ugly thing- the people whose actions provoke and incite rioting always get a pass, in a "Look what you made me do" way said by every abusive boyfriend ever.

After the daylight, intentional murder of George Floyd on camera while the cop smirks, after months of protests and demonstrations across the country and around the world, Kenosha cops still shoot a guy seven times in the back for defying them! That's what this was, there wasn't any justifiable reason to shoot, this was because a black man turned his back on them. And knowing the context, knowing they are on camera, they said **** it.  Seven times.

But yet, oh yeah, people are "upset", "people have a right", but let's not get carried away, don't do anything that might express that or bring any pressure to bear, no, that's the wrong part here............

Here's a thought, you don't want "riots" (unless they are white guys with automatic weapons threatening to murder state officials), howsabout you don't fund and arm and train and allow your police force to murder people in broad daylight because they were offended?

Oh hell Dave, that's too high a bar, you're asking for the moon here, what are they supposed to talk about at their cop bars if they can't periodically gun random citizens down? How will they ever "keep the peace" iffn the peasants are a lil bit terrified? Yanno they might get all uppity and want to stop paying for their own killing like the Chinese billing the family for the bullet in the head. And then where would we be?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Destino said:

You aint wrong.

I wrote a lot more than this initially. Going into how you can do literally nothing and still hurt people but thats a lot of me trying to justify the madness. I can do it but it doesn't feel good. 

I argue, though, that any support lost by these people grieving -- and I think thats some of what this violence starts as -- was conditional anyway. And in that sense it wasn't actually support. It was a contract. And that contract gets broken once people start getting gunned down in front if their children. 

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

You actually think anyone with any sense is advocating that? 

Read the post above yours, within the context of what he was replying to. 

the people that dodge the rioting aspect of this all are missing the same thing that was being missed when people started kneeling during the anthem. 

if the goal is gaining support and spreading awareness to get meaningful change, considering how actions impact your ability to reach the people that need reaching seems like a pretty basic thing to consider. 

Lot of videos on twitter of the shootings (Seth Abramson compiled them in a thread). Apparently a 17 year old white kid with an AR15, supposedly from out of town, killed someone, ran off, then when bystanders tried to detain him he shot two more people, killing one of them. He jogged toward cops, with his AR15, to let them know what had happened. Weird how they didn’t view him as a threat...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Lot of videos on twitter of the shootings (Seth Abramson compiled them in a thread). Apparently a 17 year old white kid with an AR15, supposedly from out of town, killed someone, ran off, then when bystanders tried to detain him he shot two more people, killing one of them. He jogged toward cops, with his AR15, to let them know what had happened. Weird how they didn’t view him as a threat...

Spoiler

5 hours ago, visionary said:

And the other other half is doing it to prove that protestors are bad?

What is astounding to me is how trump and his supporters take no responsibility for any of this. Who cares who the cities are run by. He is the president. It's his job to help keep peace - and not by just sending federal troops in. Need to hear people, have some compassion, commit to at least looking into the issues to look for a better way for us all to coexist. I do not condone any violence. Having said that I can understand the frustration when even after someone gets murdered on video, there is no compassion from leadership. 

Bunker Boy appears to have no clue that it's his actions outside his mouth running that are keeping these protests and worse going. His insistence that all protestors are looters and violent and that no one has a point worth hearing is exactly why the protests continue. Now he is supporting by his further inaction white supremacists slaughtering of the protestors. 

• Like 1

So we got black dude not obeying the police and trying to get in his car and hes shot in the back 7 times. 

Followed by more violent protesting

Followed by multiple(?) armed white people showing up and shooting protesters with video evidence of atleast one of them running, armed, to the police for help and multiple armored police vehicles just riding right by him without any action whatsoever. 

White guy I assumed didnt die during this or even get tazed cause.....why? 

And we are worried violent protests may get Donald Trump re elected cause this is how ****ed America is now.  

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So we got black dude not obeying the police and trying to get in his car and hes shot in the back 7 times. 

Followed by more violent protesting

Followed by multiple(?) armed white people showing up and shooting protesters with video evidence of atleast one of them running, armed, to the police for help and multiple armored police vehicles just riding right by him without any action whatsoever. 

White guy I assumed didnt die during this or even get tazed cause.....why?

And we are worried violent protests may get Donald Trump re elected cause this is how ****ed America is now.  

Other than this white trash POS shooting people, the bolded is by far the most disturbing part of this all.  Literally 30 seconds after shooting 2 people on the same street about 100 feet away, he walks right by about 10 police vehicles with a gun slung across his chest and the police just proceed to go right by him as though nothing is wrong and he is no threat.

Imagine if that dude was black.  We all know 1000000% that would not have played out like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

It’s a mess.  There are multiple videos.  The first shooting there seems to be a crowd chasing a guy, who then stops turns and shoots the closest person chasing him.  He then calls the police and says “I just killed someone” and runs away.  The second shooting happens when the crowd catches up to the shooter, who appears to be running towards police, after he trips.  He shot the people that approached him while he was down, one of which was clearly armed (this guy ends up with a nasty bullet wound through the arm).  There was an exchange of gunfire this time around, but it’s unclear to me who exactly was firing.  

I also gunfire heard in the background from different areas unrelated to these shootings.  This all serves as a reminder that there are entirely too many guns in America.

Not sure what happened with the shooter, if he was arrested or not.  I see some cops drive by him as he’s running towards them, probably to turn himself in, but I haven’t seen how that ended.  Was he arrested?

• Like 1