Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Man...

What a world this would be if everyone finally realized and agreed who they were getting f'd by at the same time...

United we Stand...interesting what that would actually look like, huh?

• Like 3

Not much of a surprise where Bundy is concerned. He and his like minded sovereign citizen type peeps can't stand the police unless they're "constitutional sheriffs" or like minded. 

• Like 1

When I watched the video I posted above, it made me think of an experience from college:

Back in college I took a class called "Interpersonal Relationships". Basically it discussed how we treat, view, and interact with each other as human beings and all the stuff that ****s up those interactions. I was attending a college in Indiana and it had a relatively small black student population (I'm black, for those who still don't know lol). During one class we were asked to write down a social situation which bothered us. Someone in the class--a white student--wrote down "reverse discrimination when a black employee was racist towards me in a store." This was in the 80s, just so you know. So the instructor said 'Let's act this one out and see how we could deal with a situation like this" and asked for volunteers. Being the only black person in the class, I raised my hand and said "I guess you mean me." People laughed, the instructor said "Not necessarily, but thank you."

So we start acting out the "reverse discrimination" scenario--I'm working at the counter of some diner with other black patrons sitting at the counter (played by white students), and the guy who wrote down the scenario comes up to me and asks me for a Sprite. Going off my own experiences, I tell him that we're out of Sprite. One of the guys playing a "black" customer then asks me for a refill on his Sprite...I just stare at him and slowly "refill" his invisible sprite, knowing that nobody black would ever ask that...we'd either remain quiet or speak up loudly with "you know damn well you got Sprite, son!" lol...

So the guy says "I thought you were out of Sprite?" and I said "Well, we're definitely out now." Then the other "black" customer asks me to refill his Sprite as well...the class starts laughing a bit and I stare at him and refill his invisible Sprite even slower. When I'm done, I turn to the guy and say "Ok, NOW we're out of Sprite." The guy gets indignant and says to me "I think you're using reverse discrimination against me because I'm white." I've now grown tired of this scenario only presenting the white perspective and decide to inject some black perspective. So I threw down my cleaning rag, looked the guy in the eyes and said "We had to deal with this **** for 200 years. You can deal with it for 5 minutes."

The entire class roared and clapped. The guy I said this to reached over and grabbed my shirt collar and pulled me towards him. I calmly looked at the instructor and pointed at the guy's fist holding my shirt and shot him a look that said "You see this ****?" The instructor--who was also laughing--says "Ok, ok" and ends the scenario. He then asks the dude who wrote down the scenario what his take away was from the exercise, and he says that racism happens to whites just the same as it does to blacks. I speak up. I tell the instructor that my take away was that if I had grabbed the shirt collar of a white guy being racist towards me like that in a diner full of nothing but whites--in Indiana--there's a real possibility I would be taken somewhere and killed (again, the 80s). That being black, you learn to control your reactions. I then said that it must be nice to feel you can react like that knowing there won't be any real repercussions for doing so. Nobody said a word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1
14 hours ago, Califan007 said:

When I watched the video I posted above, it made me think of an experience from college:

edit 

The entire class roared and clapped. The guy I said this to reached over and grabbed my shirt collar and pulled me towards him. I calmly looked at the instructor and pointed at the guy's fist holding my shirt and shot him a look that said "You see this ****?" The instructor--who was also laughing--says "Ok, ok" and ends the scenario. He then asks the dude who wrote down the scenario what his take away was from the exercise, and he says that racism happens to whites just the same as it does to blacks. I speak up. I tell the instructor that my take away was that if I had grabbed the shirt collar of a white guy being racist towards me like that in a diner full of nothing but whites--in Indiana--there's a real possibility I would be taken somewhere and killed (again, the 80s). That being black, you learn to control your reactions. I then said that it must be nice to feel you can react like that knowing there won't be any real repercussions for doing so. Nobody said a word.

Thanks for sharing this story and the other video (I have seen that many times but good to refresh from time to time.)  

It's really too bad the instructor didn't get it. He should have intervened when the kid grabbed you. And then asked him exactly why he felt he could put his hands on someone. The fact it did not occur to him means he was clueless. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Thanks for sharing this story and the other video (I have seen that many times but good to refresh from time to time.)  

It's really too bad the instructor didn't get it. He should have intervened when the kid grabbed you. And then asked him exactly why he felt he could put his hands on someone. The fact it did not occur to him means he was clueless. 

Yeah, he definitely could have handled the situation MUCH better and used it to promote some introspection not only with the guy who grabbed my shirt but with the rest of the class. My comment about not being able to do the same thing without putting my life in danger kinda sobered the room up.

I actually ended up having two female classmates give me their numbers after the class ended lol...Had a GF at the time so it never went further with either one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, tshile said:

We all make mistakes 

Tell me about it lol...my GF ended up breaking up with me over the summer. One of the women who gave me their number (I think her name was Mackenzie or something) was around 25 yrs old and looked a LOT like Bailey Quarters on WKRP In Cincinnati lol...

EDIT: Yep, googled Bailey WKRP, saw this pic, and immediately saw the woman I was talking about. She looked a lot like this pic, only she had really dark brown hair. Even had the glasses:

220px-Jan_Smithers_as_Bailey_Quarters.png

I blew it lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Sad 2
9 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Tell me about it lol...my GF ended up breaking up with me over the summer. One of the women who gave me their number (I think her name was Mackenzie or something) was around 25 yrs old and looked a LOT like Bailey Quarters on WKRP In Cincinnati lol...

EDIT: Yep, googled Bailey WKRP, saw this pic, and immediately saw the woman I was talking about. She looked a lot like this pic, only she had really dark brown hair. Even had the glasses:

I blew it lol...

Haha! Don't you love regret? My favorite is when you realize that a girl was hitting on you last night, but you didn't realize it until the next day when you're eating cereal.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Haha! Don't you love regret? My favorite is when you realize that a girl was hitting on you last night, but you didn't realize it until the next day when you're eating cereal.

Never had any regrets...well, at least not until I looked up that stupid photo lol 🤬...

Anyway, back on topic.