Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

8 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Haha! Don't you love regret? My favorite is when you realize that a girl was hitting on you last night, but you didn't realize it until the next day when you're eating cereal.

Wait, that's what she was doing?  Lemme hop in my time machine and go back 10 years.

• Haha 3

On 7/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, PCS said:

Oh boy. Even in the small town,semi rural areas things get interesting. 

Okay. So shortly after that post,the Sheriff and the Library put out a joint statement. 

https://sheriff.douglascountynv.gov/news/what_s_new/sheriff_s_office_and_library_joint_statement

While this was going,the initial story and statement by the Sheriff went national,(briefly). Now it appears a BLM rally is scheduled to be held in town tomorrow. They're setting up things right now I believe. "Counter protesters" are planning on being there as well. Know of a couple for sure that will be there. Could be nothing. Small town and all. Or......Well. Let's just say  this part of Nevada has its share of folks who make Michele Fiore look like an independent.  

This situation continues to sicken me.  What kind of society are we that we allow "law enforcement" to commit acts of terrorism without fear of punishment?  Where they can beat citizens with impunity and any attempt to defend oneself is justification for worse beatings?  Where they can shoot people in the heads/eyes/throats with "non-metal-but-will-still-cause-brain-damage-and-vision-loss" rounds and the blame is put on the people for being upset about police brutality?  Disgusting.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A local road commission meeting in northern Michigan on Tuesday started with one commissioner asking another why he wasn’t wearing a mask amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The unmasked official responded with a racist slur and an angry rant against the Black Lives Matter movement.

“Well, this whole thing is because of them n-----s in Detroit,” Tom Eckerle, who was elected to his position on the Leelanau County Road Commission in 2018, told his colleague at the start of the public meeting.

The commission chairman, Bob Joyce, immediately rebuked his colleague, but Eckerle, who is White, continued his diatribe.

“I can say anything I want,” Eckerle said at the meeting, which the public could listen to via a dial-in number, the Leelanau Enterprise first reported. “Black Lives Matter has everything to do with taking the country away from us.”

“I don’t regret calling it a n----r,” Eckerle told Interlochen Public Radio. “A n----r is a n----r is a n----r. That’s not a person whatsoever.”

About 93 percent of Leelanau County’s 21,761 residents are White, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Less than 1 percent of the people who live there are Black.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Just got back from the protest above. Yeah. BLM was severely outnumbered. I expected that though. This is a small town area with lot's of Gopers. Thoughh I will add that many of the cops here are from the area. Born and raised. So there's going to be support no matter what. That said,most folks seemed to line main street and wave flags of support for cops. Most of the BLM supporters had left or blended in with the crowd trying to engage in civil conversation. Got the tail end of one and it ended civilly for sure. I heard raised voices in one part of the parking lot and headed there. There roughly 75 to 100 pro police folks surrounding about 6-10,(tough to give accurate numbers),BLM supporters. A couple of them were engaging a few pro police supporters,(one of them on horseback), in what was a spirited,but civil discourse on things. I hovered on the outskirts of the crowd and I heard shouts of communists,all lives matter,and of course USA. Sigh. The small group of BLM supporters stood their ground though. That's when the police showed up in force in about 3 small groups of 6 or more. They took positions outside of the crowd at the tail end,middle,and at the front. I think that's when the BLM supporters, decided it was time to move on. I tend to agree with that. A pretty big guy who had a very agitated look on his face  walked right through the cops and back and forth on the outside of the crowd and tailed the BLM supporters as they left. Still unsure of that one. There was agitation amongst the Police Supporters and they definitely fed off of each other and of course,there was safety in numbers there.  

Political side. Yeah. Lot's of Trump flags along with American flags.  Go figure. Hardly a mask to be found amongst any of the hundreds I saw except for,yeah,the BLM supporters. Pics a bit later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Leelanau County official to resign after defending racist slur

An elected official in a mostly white county in northern Michigan who used a racist slur prior to a public meeting to describe Black people in Detroit will resign, the county administrator said Friday.

Leelanau County Administrator Chet Janik said Tom Eckerle, a member of the county road commission, would step down after receiving criticism from across the U.S. for his comments.

“I personally and professionally think it's in the best interests of Mr. Eckerle, the road commission and Leelanau County,” Janik told The Associated Press.

The Traverse City Record-Eagle reported that Eckerle had informed the newspaper of his plans to quit, saying he didn't want to "burden" a newly hired road commission manager scheduled to begin work this month. Eckerle did not return a call from the AP. But in a phone interview earlier Friday, he repeated the slur while maintaining he was not a racist.

“I'm not a racist,” Eckerle said. “Black Lives Matter is racist. If I believed in Black Lives Matter, I would be racist. ... Black Lives Matter has no heart. And that is as offensive to me as the N-word,” he added, then used the full racist slur.

“If I could get a few people that, when they see a Black Lives Matter sign up, to think the N-word, I have accomplished what I'm after,” he added.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/08/07/leelanau-county-tom-eckerle-to-resign-racist-slur/3325586001/

giphy.gif

Edited by Califan007

Holy ****. That is one of the more pathetic things I've heard from a racist in a while. What a pos. 

Update on that local BLM protest. Apparently,it wasn't over. Those brave souls walked around town for awhile,(a small part of it anyway),with folks the other side following them the whole way. The morons will declare "We showed them" because they outnumbered the BLM protesters and miss the point of how they really didn't with the above in mind. 

Black Americans Want Police to Retain Local Presence

When asked whether they want the police to spend more time, the same amount of time or less time than they currently do in their area, most Black Americans -- 61% -- want the police presence to remain the same. This is similar to the 67% of all U.S. adults preferring the status quo, including 71% of White Americans.

Meanwhile, nearly equal proportions of Black Americans say they would like the police to spend more time in their area (20%) as say they'd like them to spend less time there (19%).

These findings are from a June 23-July 6 Gallup Panel survey, administered by web in English and conducted as part of the newly launched Gallup Center on Black Voices. The study includes large samples of Black, Hispanic and Asian Americans, weighted to their correct proportions of the population.

Of these four racial/ethnic groups, Asian Americans are the most likely to want less police presence where they live, with 28% saying this. That contrasts with 12% of White Americans, 17% of Hispanic Americans and 19% of Black Americans.

Click on the link for more

7 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

This is how the police respond. After violence on protestors they're now moving on to using the justice system to get their revenge.

(in response to the tweet) This is so ****ing disgusting.  And they wonder why people are pissed off at them. Just so ****ed up on so many levels...

Edit: clarification on my comment...

Edited by EmirOfShmo

To protect and serve, my ass.  Disgusting:

Numerous assaults witnessed in Douglas County today during Black Lives Matter protests

A group of about thirty Black Lives Matter protesters from Gardnerville, Carson City and Lake Tahoe took to the streets of Douglas County today, where they were met with hundreds of heavily armed counter-protesters, some of whom were physically and verbally assaulting the mostly-teenaged protesters.

After Douglas County Sheriff Dan Coverley issued a public open letter to the Douglas County Library Board stating his opposition to their proposed support of Black Lives Matter, joining numerous library associations across the country, and threatening to not respond to the library’s call for assistance anymore, many across the country were outraged.

One of the groups outraged were the local Black Lives Matter organization, which is made up of 20-30 people who have been peacefully protesting every Saturday in Carson City in front of the legislature, many of whom are juveniles.

They, along with other BLM organizations in Tahoe (part of Douglas County) decided to peacefully protest the sheriff’s letter in Minden at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office on Saturday.

The sheriff’s office issued multiple press releases about the protest during the past week, and created “Free Speech Zones” for the protesters to exercise their first amendment rights within the parking lot of the sheriff’s office.

However, when the small handful of BLM protesters, numbering only 20 to 30 at the peak of the protest, arrived on scene, they were immediately attacked and harassed by dozens of counter protesters who were heavily armed, dressed in military fatigues and carried assault rifles, bats, hand guns and shotguns, while DCSO deputies stood by and watched.

“We had places we were designated to protest,” said Braydon Abbott, 21, one of the BLM protesters. “When we went to those places, we had people immediately coming and surrounding us, yelling in our ears, blowing whistles, yelling on megaphones, and blasting the sirens on the megaphones right next to us, so they could drown us out.”

“They did it so that we couldn’t talk to them, and so we couldn’t even talk to each other,” continued Abbott. “We just wanted to peacefully engage. We did exactly that the entire time. DCSO deputies were there, but they were just watching. I can’t tell you how many times I was pushed, shoulder checked, I got spit on today.(The counter protesters) just came up and were violently saying to us ‘get out of our town, you don’t effing belong here, you aren’t welcome here.’ I had one guy come up to us and tell us ‘this is a white town, we don’t want your kind here’ we had a person come up and say to us ‘why do coon lives matter?’ These are the things we dealt with all day long, and yet we remained peaceful. These were the people saying they were going there to make sure WE remained peaceful, and we were met with nothing but violence and racial slurs all day long. As police watched, and did not interfere whatsoever.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, China said:

I have nothing against the planet, however many of the people on it need to just disappear.  Maybe Thanos was right.

Don't forget that it was random, not targeted. 

A snapping could jus get rid of half the people you think needs to disappear, that changes nothing, really.

6 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Interesting night in Chicago.

They going all in trying to intimidate folks out of protesting while not removing their right to do so.

Their mayor is pathetic.