Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

37 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I don’t know all the facts of his issues in the past - the HS incident, or the bullying stuff in college. However. I would encourage you to read the transcript of his pro day press conference in which he addresses his past issues. I deal with liars in my profession, and his answers are classic deflection and minimization. It’s the worst “apology” I’ve seen in a while and he should have just not answered the question if he was going to respond that way. He’s a huge risk IMO.

Yeah, his public comment on the issue was god awful.  Came off like a turd who thinks he's above accountability and reproach.

This kid is a grade a knucklehead best case scenario.  He has put that out there for anyone to see.  Worst case scenario he has a history of violence with a creepy sexual dynamic with his own teammate.  Saying the kid is a fit in our locker room is a joke.  The first time he goes in the doghouse he'll be punching his ticket out of here.  And picking him in the first round is designating him for leadership.  That's what picking a first round linebacker means.  He couldn't be less suited to that job.  I don't care how talented the kid is, let someone else deal with the headache.

3 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Dilfer, Johnson and McMahon are also good Not great QBs to win it on the back of a solid D.

Conversely, Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl until he was no longer a great QB. He needed the D and running game. Likewise, Manning never won his Super Bowl until he was no longer a great QB.  Marino never won a SB. Peyton and Rogers only won one. Plenty of GREAT QBs never came close to winning it all.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim just now on Sheehan's show.    He knows they dig Fields, he's in play but they don't want to give up a lot for him.  they think he has a chance he falls close to their pick.

They like:

Koramoah

Moehrig -- more in a trade down but won't rule it out at 19 

Fields

Vera-Tucker

Darrisaw

I like most of those guys too, but what worries me is that 3/5 of those are gone with our pick, leaving us to choose between the least appealing options; Moehrig and Vera-Tucker.

I like Moehrig, but he’s a reach at 19, isn’t a dynamic playmaker at safety, and is just slightly better overall than a slew of FS types available in rounds 2-4. I like Vera-Tucker too, but taking another OG with a first round pick is likely the smallest impact you could make on a roster already loaded with OGs. 

Both would be solid enough picks, and potential starters early in their careers, but it would definitely be the most modest use of our first rounder possible on a team that is just a couple of dynamic pieces away from being special. 

Here’s hoping Darrisaw or JOK fall to us, that we can move up slightly to grab Fields without mortgaging the future, that they can find a trade partner to add picks. I’d even prefer they attempt a slight trade back and then roll the dice on adding a playmaker like Harris or one of the Moores rather than settling on another Tackle destined to move to a crowded Guard position. 

McShay's final mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31351575/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-final-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-qb-landing-spots-trades-more

15. New England Patriots

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

Because the Niners opted to go with Lance, the Patriots get lucky in this scenario, not having to move up and still landing one of the top five quarterbacks. Jones is an anticipatory passer with excellent accuracy; coach Bill Belichick would help him develop into a good NFL starter.

ari.png&h=110&w=110

16. Arizona Cardinals

Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Patrick Peterson is gone, and both starting outside cornerbacks are on one-year deals. Horn is a physical corner with good ball skills, and there's a case for him as the top defensive back in the class. It's a great fit and solid value in the middle of the first round.

lv.png&h=110&w=110

17. Las Vegas Raiders

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

Moehrig is a ball hawk who would immediately help shore up the Raiders' leaky pass defense from the back end. He had six interceptions and 20 passes broken up over the past two seasons.

mia.png&h=110&w=110

18. Miami Dolphins

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame

Versatility is the name of the game for Owusu-Koramoah. He can play all over the defense and contribute to multiple areas. Defensive coordinator Josh Boyer could use a dynamic player like Owusu-Koramoah in the middle of his defense.

pla

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

19. Washington Football Team

Micah Parsons, ILB, Penn State

This is excellent value for Parsons, a sideline-to-sideline linebacker who would help stop the run and be the quarterback of the defense. I also expect Washington to pursue a quarterback -- maybe Stanford's Davis Mills -- in Round 2.

chi.png&h=110&w=110

20. Chicago Bears

Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

If they can't replace quarterback Andy Dalton, the Bears will look to help him. Darrisaw could slide in at left tackle. And because he has power and is a smooth mover, he'd provide a boost for leading rusher David Montgomery in the run game.

ind.png&h=110&w=110

21. Indianapolis Colts

Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Christian Darrisaw could have been a replacement for Anthony Castonzo, who announced his retirement in January, at left tackle, and Jaelan Phillips could have been an impact edge rusher for the Colts. But they're both off the board. Instead, Moore gives new quarterback Carson Wentz a savvy route runner out of the slot.

ten.png&h=110&w=110buf.png&h=110&w=110

Projected trade: Bills jump up for a playmaker

I had to get at least one move in here, and I mentioned this as a possibility in my buzz story on Monday. Buffalo is contending for a Super Bowl and should do what it needs to in order to get there. Tennessee, meanwhile, missed out on the top five pass-catchers and can now look to a deep WR pool to address that hole later. The ex
 Full ranking | Pick order | More

buf.png&h=110&w=110

22. Buffalo Bills (via mock trade with TEN)

Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

Many teams have Etienne ahead of Najee Harris (Alabama) as the class' top running back, and only six franchises in the NFL got fewer rushing yards out of their running backs last season than the Bills (1,301). Etienne can hit the home run any time he finds daylight, and an offense featuring Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Etienne would be scary.

nyj.png&h=110&w=110

23. New York Jets (via SEA)

Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

The Jets might look at offensive line here, but Newsome would give their defense a spark with his speed, versatility and strong press coverage. The Jets had the third-worst completion percentage allowed last season (69.1%), so the picks can't all go to the offense.

pit.png&h=110&w=110

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

In another spot where offensive line is a consideration, the Steelers replace running back James Conner with Harris, a powerful back who is slippery between the tackles. Pittsburgh averaged the fewest yards per carry in the NFL last season (3.6).

jax.png&h=110&w=110

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR)

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

The Jaguars have to protect Trevor Lawrence, and Jenkins is tough to get around. He has the versatility to slide inside if needed, and his range as a run blocker will help set up big rushes from James Robinson.

7 minutes ago, rumplestilskin said:

Dilfer, Johnson and McMahon are also good Not great QBs to win it on the back of a solid D.

Dilfer, Johnson and McMahon also played 20 years ago where the NFL was practically a different sport. The rules then made it easier for strong defenses, good running games, and mediocre QBs to win SBs.

JOK is a terrible pick. He’s a tweener that doesn’t have any real position: too small to play linebacker, not instinctive enough to play DB. He’s a luxury pick when a hybrid type is all you’re really missing. We have gaping holes at QB, LT, S, and traditional LB. JOK satisfies none of that.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Vera Tucker would be disappointing to me.

I'd be a little disappointed too.  I think Moehrig and Owusu-Koromoah are better fits.  But I think the most disappointing pick would be a "safe" reach like Eichenberg.  And I actually like Eichenberg.  But there is no planet where he's bpa at 19.

From your lips to God's ears... Yes to all of this for me...  

This is excellent value for Parsons, a sideline-to-sideline linebacker who would help stop the run and be the quarterback of the defense. I also expect Washington to pursue a quarterback -- maybe Stanford's Davis Mills -- in Round 2.

9 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I like most of those guys too, but what worries me is that 3/5 of those are gone with our pick, leaving us to choose between the least appealing options; Moehrig and Vera-Tucker.

I like Moehrig, but he’s a reach at 19, isn’t a dynamic playmaker at safety, and is just slightly better overall than a slew of FS types available in rounds 2-4. I like Vera-Tucker too, but taking another OG with a first round pick is likely the smallest impact you could make on a roster already loaded with OGs. 

Both would be solid enough picks, and potential starters early in their careers, but it would definitely be the most modest use of our first rounder possible on a team that is just a couple of dynamic pieces away from being special. 

Here’s hoping Darrisaw or JOK fall to us, that we can move up slightly to grab Fields without mortgaging the future, that they can find a trade partner to add picks. I’d even prefer they attempt a slight trade back and then roll the dice on adding a playmaker like Harris or one of the Moores rather than settling on another Tackle destined to move to a crowded Guard position. 

If they are at 19, I think there is a good chance they trade back if they hopefully find a trading partner.

Moehrig IMO is the best coverage FS in the draft, J. Holland IMO being the next best coverage guy.  High floor player.   He's not my top desire at 19 but he likely would be the best free safety we've had since Sean.   He's decent against the run, too.

My impression watching him was the dude is special at anticipating in the pass game.  His instincts and thereby I presume preperation look excellent.  He seems to be right on top of so many passing plays.  He finds himself around the ball in the passing game and running game.  That would be quite a change from our free safeties who seem to be often a beat behind. 

We gave up among the highest rate in the league of big plays in the passing game last year even though overall they did well against the pass.  He'd IMO help put a stop to teams successfully going deep. 

I'd be jazzed to get him even though I have some players I like more. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Conversely, Elway couldn't win a Super Bowl until he was no longer a great QB. He needed the D and running game. Likewise, Manning never won his Super Bowl until he was no longer a great QB.  Marino never won a SB. Peyton and Rogers only won one. Plenty of GREAT QBs never came close to winning it all.

Peyton won 2. And I'd disagree about "never came close". The Colts and GB with Peyton and Rodgers were pretty much always contenders. They were 10+ win teams pretty much every single year and went deep into the playoffs most seasons. No they didn't go all the way those years but the point is that an elite QB generally makes a team a contender every year. Who would you put more money on to win a SB in any given season...Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson....or Jimmy G, Goff, or Daniel Jones?

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Fun fact: This is actually made with the pure brown waters of the Mighty Genesee River and is then transformed into the nectar of the Gods.

Fun Fact II: No one would drink it if it was made from the pure brown waters of the Genesee River. But the second part of Fact I is correct. 

Fun Fact III: It’s Draft Day and boy am I hoping it’s a Fields Day or a Trey of goodies... But I have a feeling it’s going to be something super underwhelming... like... Jenkins. 

I have a 30 pack of Gennie barley pops in the garage fridge for these occasions. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McShay's final mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31351575/nfl-mock-draft-2021-todd-mcshay-final-predictions-all-32-first-round-picks-qb-landing-spots-trades-more

15. New England Patriots

Mac Jones, QB, Alabama

Because the Niners opted to go with Lance, the Patriots get lucky in this scenario, not having to move up and still landing one of the top five quarterbacks. Jones is an anticipatory passer with excellent accuracy; coach Bill Belichick would help him develop into a good NFL starter.

ari.png&h=110&w=110

16. Arizona Cardinals

Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina

Patrick Peterson is gone, and both starting outside cornerbacks are on one-year deals. Horn is a physical corner with good ball skills, and there's a case for him as the top defensive back in the class. It's a great fit and solid value in the middle of the first round.

lv.png&h=110&w=110

17. Las Vegas Raiders

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

Moehrig is a ball hawk who would immediately help shore up the Raiders' leaky pass defense from the back end. He had six interceptions and 20 passes broken up over the past two seasons.

mia.png&h=110&w=110

18. Miami Dolphins

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, ILB, Notre Dame

Versatility is the name of the game for Owusu-Koramoah. He can play all over the defense and contribute to multiple areas. Defensive coordinator Josh Boyer could use a dynamic player like Owusu-Koramoah in the middle of his defense.

pla

wsh.png&h=110&w=110

chi.png&h=110&w=110

20. Chicago Bears

Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech

If they can't replace quarterback Andy Dalton, the Bears will look to help him. Darrisaw could slide in at left tackle. And because he has power and is a smooth mover, he'd provide a boost for leading rusher David Montgomery in the run game.

ind.png&h=110&w=110

21. Indianapolis Colts

Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Christian Darrisaw could have been a replacement for Anthony Castonzo, who announced his retirement in January, at left tackle, and Jaelan Phillips could have been an impact edge rusher for the Colts. But they're both off the board. Instead, Moore gives new quarterback Carson Wentz a savvy route runner out of the slot.

ten.png&h=110&w=110buf.png&h=110&w=110

Projected trade: Bills jump up for a playmaker

I had to get at least one move in here, and I mentioned this as a possibility in my buzz story on Monday. Buffalo is contending for a Super Bowl and should do what it needs to in order to get there. Tennessee, meanwhile, missed out on the top five pass-catchers and can now look to a deep WR pool to address that hole later. The ex
 Full ranking | Pick order | More

buf.png&h=110&w=110

22. Buffalo Bills (via mock trade with TEN)

Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

Many teams have Etienne ahead of Najee Harris (Alabama) as the class' top running back, and only six franchises in the NFL got fewer rushing yards out of their running backs last season than the Bills (1,301). Etienne can hit the home run any time he finds daylight, and an offense featuring Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs and Etienne would be scary.

nyj.png&h=110&w=110

23. New York Jets (via SEA)

Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

The Jets might look at offensive line here, but Newsome would give their defense a spark with his speed, versatility and strong press coverage. The Jets had the third-worst completion percentage allowed last season (69.1%), so the picks can't all go to the offense.

pit.png&h=110&w=110

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

In another spot where offensive line is a consideration, the Steelers replace running back James Conner with Harris, a powerful back who is slippery between the tackles. Pittsburgh averaged the fewest yards per carry in the NFL last season (3.6).

jax.png&h=110&w=110

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR)

Teven Jenkins, OT, Oklahoma State

The Jaguars have to protect Trevor Lawrence, and Jenkins is tough to get around. He has the versatility to slide inside if needed, and his range as a run blocker will help set up big rushes from James Robinson.

Nightmare draft right there. I'd go with Harris over Parsons.

I swear half these mocks start with 1,2 and 24 already filled in.

I've begun reaching out to the annoying steelers friends I know saying Harris is going 19.

Well today is the day I was thinking about as I watched my team make the playoffs. If they were picking 10 today would look totally different. But I also agree the playoff appears has changed the feel of the team and I do believe winning breeds winning. So who knows?  Time will tell if it was a good thing or a bad thing long term.  

4 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

JOK is a terrible pick. He’s a tweener that doesn’t have any real position: too small to play linebacker, not instinctive enough to play DB. He’s a luxury pick when a hybrid type is all you’re really missing. We have gaping holes at QB, LT, S, and traditional LB. JOK satisfies none of that.

I disagree. You may be overlooking the emergence of roving LB/S hybrids across the best defenses in the NFL, and the annual carving up of our defense by opposing TEs and RBs becoming receivers out of the backfield. This was happening to our otherwise stellar defense up to and including the last game of 2020.

JOK is a versatile playmaker who can solve those issues, while adding additional value as a blitzer and TFL guy against the run. Grab a MLB to pair with him in round 3 (Werner/Barnes) to help address our runstopping/fits issues and this defense is dramatically improved.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Peyton won 2. And I'd disagree about "never came close". The Colts and GB with Peyton and Rodgers were pretty much always contenders. They were 10+ win teams pretty much every single year and went deep into the playoffs most seasons. No they didn't go all the way those years but the point is that an elite QB generally makes a team a contender every year. Who would you put more money on to win a SB in any given season...Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson....or Jimmy G, Goff, or Daniel Jones?

Obviously you go with the elite QB if you can. The argument is that it is possible with a guy like Fitz to be a contender and a possible winner of SB. I do agree the game has changed and its not as easy to get by as it used to be though.

12 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

JOKing God damn.

Archived