Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

2 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Gibson’s injury history concerns you but not Guice and Loves? 

Not what I am saying at all, I am saying anyone can get injured. Injury is so random that unless someone has a chronic issue, I don't really care about injury history, because it can all the sudden stop, and some player who never has been hurt can all of the sudden go on a string of injuries. Its 2020 everyone comes back from ACLs

The major sports injuries of any real concern now are torn labrums (QBs and Baseball), Ruptured Achilles, and sort of compound fractures, Spinal injuries, and concussions 

That is about it, MCL, ACL, Ankle, etc.... its all just common parts of the game now that people come back from, regularly.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, tibbidoe said:

Nope, but there were already several who can play RB on the roster and we wasted a shot at a starter at another position. 😉

We'll fill those holes come FA and the draft next year. I love the way the handled this draft.

Really excited to unleash this team on the rest of the NFL!!!

On 4/25/2020 at 11:16 AM, tibbidoe said:

I know we can't fill 5 positions with one pick. But, we could get by with the RBs we already had and at least take a shot at finding a starter. Even just a couple of picks later: Ashtyn Davis (FS) and Damien Lewis (G). You don't think either of those guys would have a chance to start over Troy Apke or Wes Martin?

This pick wasn't about one position or one guy. This pick was about the entire offense and how to make it more dynamic. RR and Kyle nailed it. As 'Warhead36' said, "We are filling the cupboards.".

• Like 2

19 hours ago, joeken24 said:

So the Gibson pick is definitely intriguing. I like his play making ability. And like Ron said, his ability makes the offense better. Ron mentioned that Scott Turner liked Gibson and (for the most part) stood on the table for him. So today it got me to thinking why does Scott like Gibson. Come to find out that Scott runs a lot of motion and shifts. This is a great way to set up mismatches. So I'm seeing Gibson, Bryce, Guice and the other two newly acquire RB shifting out of the backfield, matching up against linebackers, which is great. This also creates different looks to confuse the defensive responsibilities, thus manufacturing busted coverage. Here's a vid from a Panther fan that does a good job with film speaking to all of this.

Thanks for posting this. I'm only quoting it in hopes more people will watch it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I think the biggest thing that concerns me is that the last time we had a guy like this, super athletic, said to be just a player, but no one was quite sure his position, it was Sua Cravens.  Granted, him being a head case was a part of that, but he still never fit anywhere.  Besides the annoyance of drafting yet another RB when we just drafted Love, and Guice, and already had AP and McCissok on the roster, hes going to have to prove to be a special weapon in short order, or start to show he can be a really good WR before most people are okay with the pick.

5 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

I think the biggest thing that concerns me is that the last time we had a guy like this, super athletic, said to be just a player, but no one was quite sure his position, it was Sua Cravens.  Granted, him being a head case was a part of that, but he still never fit anywhere.  Besides the annoyance of drafting yet another RB when we just drafted Love, and Guice, and already had AP and McCissok on the roster, hes going to have to prove to be a special weapon in short order, or start to show he can be a really good WR before most people are okay with the pick.

He was listed as a WR so I think that's the role they have in mind for him.  He's 6'2 and 220 lbs.  That's a fairly big receiver - we have quite a few unproven guys at that position who don't necessarily have those measurables. If anything, they are the ones that need to be on notice.  Rivera doesn't seem to be wedded to anyone on the roster from last year, especially on offense.

• Like 1

Reading about Scott Turner and some about how they intend to use Gibson.  And adding some of my man crush narrative on the dude, he's my favorite pick aside from Chase.

I think he's going to be a star.    Scott seems to embrace the Chiefs-Rams offense stylistically.   He loves backfield motion, sweeps, endarounds, quick handoffs, draws, etc.  Sounds like they are going to use Gibson a lot in 2 back sets.  Also that he'd be used more in the backfield than he will be lined up wide and run routes that way. 

Sounds like we are going to see some looks similar to some of 2012 with 2 RBs players lined in the backfield.  In 2012, it was often a FB and RB.  But like the clip I put below, RG3 doesn't throw the ball to D. Young in the flat to his left but he could have.  I can see all sorts of machiations with 2 back sets similar to that.  It doesn't have to be RO driven like the 2012 offense but it sounds like it will be funky with what they are going to do in the backfield.   Should be fun to watch. 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/04/05/best-running-backs-in-the-2020-nfl-draft/12/

Stat to Know: Gibson is one of the NCAA’s most productive athletic freaks, albeit with a very small sample size. In 2019, he broke 16 tackles on 33 rushing attempts, and 17 tackles on 38 catches. To have a near-50% broken tackle rate on your touches for any period of time is absolutely ridiculous.

Strengths: Built like a rocked-up tight end. Legit 4.4 speed at his size is rare, and it shows up on tape. Gibson’s combination of speed, power, and contact balance is like something out of a science fiction movie. His quickness shows up whether he’s running in a straight line or working his way across the field. As a receiver, he’s able to break away from safeties downfield just as well as he can stiff-arm a linebacker out of the play. As a runner, he works his cuts quickly enough to make defenders wonder what the heck is going on, and he can get right back up to speed after cutting. Arm tacklers will just bounce right off him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

The odd thing about Cravens was his wasn't really that much of an athlete.  He ran a 4.65 and only benched 16 reps.  But he was a tweener where we didn't quite know what to do with him.

Scot admitted that Ryan Kelly was his target not Doctson in the first, and we were able to piece together in the draft thread that in the 2nd round their target was J. Reed but he went just before their pick.  Scot admitted on 980 last week ironically that they didn't do enough homework on either player's personality.  Cravens in particular was one strange dude who probably didn't love football.  I don't know on this front about Gibson one way or another but one difference with Cravens is that Gibson is an athletic freak and Cravens not so much. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

I think it was  very different situation with Su'a. To my way of thinking, Cravens was never a hybrid player, he was a 'tweener. He lacked the straight line speed and short area quickness to play safety effectively, and he lacked the size and stacking/shedding ability to play linebacker on passing downs. He was definitely NOT an elite athlete by most metrics at all. Conversely, Gibson is an extraordinary athlete in virtually every measure, in a frame that is built like a truck. He's a hybrid, but he's the anti-Cravens in my opinion. Cravens got by on being instinctive and diagnosing plays quickly as they developed, whereas Gibson is a natural who relies much more on his physical abilities, and is much more raw. 

I'm extremely excited about this kid, much mores than virtually anyone we could have taken at WR or RB late in round 2 or anywhere in round 3. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The odd thing about Cravens was his wasn't really that much of an athlete.  He ran a 4.65 and only benched 16 reps.  But he was a tweener where we didn't quite know what to do with him.

Scot admitted that Ryan Kelly was his target not Doctson in the first, and we were able to piece together in the draft thread that in the 2nd round their target was J. Reed but he went just before their pick.  Scot admitted on 980 last week ironically that they didn't do enough homework on either player's personality.  Cravens in particular was one strange dude who probably didn't love football.  I don't know on this front about Gibson one way or another but one difference with Cravens is that Gibson is an athletic freak and Cravens not so much. 

Sorry to echo the sentiments, but well said SiP!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, zskins said:

Or he will be productive on the offense and may also return kicks/punts. 

I don't always love every pick we make.  And I've been wrong about some.  I did stick my neck out last year for McLaurin, I liked him before the draft and defended him on the thread that came out about him post draft like this one.

I liked the Gandy-Golden pick and some others from this draft.  But aside from Chase Young, the other dude I'll stick my neck out for is Gibson.  I'd be shocked if the dude isn't at least good and I'd bet money that he will be a star in this offense.   Scott Turner is supposedly all about backfield motion, etc and using it to confuse and misdirect defenses -- Gibson IMO is the perfect weapon for that.

I'd also bet he will become a fan favorite.  A dude that is 220 pounds plus, who runs a 4.39, who is a really good KR, can catch, can run the ball, can break tackles, and has breakaway speed -- he IMO is going to be a lot of fun if he stays healthy. 

I'll eat my words later on this if I am wrong. 😀 But I'd be surprised if we don't see reports during the season about defenses worrying about Gibson and the swiss army knife aspect of his game being a reason why. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't always love every pick we make.  And I've been wrong about some.  I did stick my neck out last year for McLaurin, I liked him before the draft and defended him on the thread that came out about him post draft like this one.

I liked the Gandy-Golden pick and some others from this draft.  But aside from Chase Young, the other dude I'll stick my neck out for is Gibson.  I'd be shocked if the dude isn't at least good and I'd bet money that he will be a star in this defense.   Scott Turner is supposedly all about backfield motion, etc and using it to confuse and misdirect defenses -- Gibson IMO is the perfect weapon for that.

I normally don't stick out my neck until I see them play on the NFL level but I don't know why I think Gibson can and will make an impact on the offense right away. I am all in for the confusion part. This is how you get the defenses guessing and overplaying their positions and keep the chains moving and keep your defense on the sidelines. Plus we have McLaurin, Harmon and AGG (now). I am already starting to salivate now....lol

But the biggest and the most important variable in all of this is Haskins. Hopefully he can deliver. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I always wonder if our medical staff screwed Sua over too just like TW? I dont think he was a headcase. He was very smart and he got concussed/hurt, then he needed glasses cause his recovery probably sucked and he may have been misdiagnosed. Then discredited and quickly traded! WOW! I would be pissed if that were me too..

Edited by StepyagameuP