Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

https://www.insidenova.com/news/special/coronavirus/northam-suggests-northern-virginia-will-delay-phase-one-reopening/article_9f2866d8-93b0-11ea-9168-5bf460dbd9ff.html

Northam suggests Northern Virginia will delay Phase One reopening

Gov. Ralph Northam suggested Monday that Northern Virginia will see a delay in lifting strict restrictions on businesses across the region. The comments came after calls from local elected leaders and health officials over the weekend to wait for COVID-19 conditions to improve.

The rest of the state is expected to start lifting some restrictions on businesses, mainly stores and salons, as well as churches, beginning May 15. But NoVa leaders sent a joint letter to Northam on Sunday calling for a delay in the region due to the rising number of cases and concerns hospitals won’t be able to handle a surge after businesses reopen.

Northam pointed out that Northern Virginia is seeing a significant portion of the state's cases, a larger percent of positive tests and more hospitalized COVID-19 patients.

"We’ll continue to work with those officials on a slower Phase One," Northam said, noting there is no decision on how long the region will wait.

A regional delay would likely include communities from Prince William and Loudoun counties to the border with Washington, D.C.

The message Sunday to the governor from board chairs in Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William and the mayor of Alexandria stressed that  “any changes to current policies be guided by what is occurring in our region.”

“We eagerly wish to rebuild our economy and help our residents recover,” the joint letter stated. “It is only through our regional achievement of these milestones that we will be positioned to avoid a more damaging return to business closures later in the summer.”

Northern Virginia accounted for more than 70% of new cases Monday. The area has more than half of the state’s total cases, despite having less than 40% of the state’s population.

👍

• Like 2

not trying to be a dick but honestly, given the pushback from the people, if we get to watch the non-science anti-intellectual and anti-academic people test their non-science anti-intellectual anti-academic leaders’ policy ideas, then **** it go ahead. Let’s see what happens. 

I hope I can convince my friends and loved ones that fall into that category to stay home, but god damnit I’m so sick of fighting that fight. 

if you think you and your moronic leader are smarter than experts in the field then so be it. I don’t have the energy to explain it to them, for the whateverth time, only to be mocked for being a liberal elite or whatever dumb **** they always say. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

if you think you and your moronic leader are smarter than experts in the field then so be it. I don’t have the energy to explain it to them, for the whateverth time, only to be mocked for being a liberal elite or whatever dumb **** they always say. 

We've come a long way, baby. 😉

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

not trying to be a dick but honestly, given the pushback from the people, if we get to watch the non-science anti-intellectual and anti-academic people test their non-science anti-intellectual anti-academic leaders’ policy ideas, then **** it go ahead. Let’s see what happens. 

I hope I can convince my friends and loved ones that fall into that category to stay home, but god damnit I’m so sick of fighting that fight. 

Yes, but they are going to cause the virus to hang around for MONTHS longer at much higher levels as they spread it between one another, during which time I will be forced to isolate and not be able to send my kids to daycare/school and otherwise get back to normal.  ****ing assholes.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Yes, but they are going to cause the virus to hang around for MONTHS longer at much higher levels as they spread it between one another, during which time I will be forced to isolate and not be able to send my kids to daycare/school and otherwise get back to normal.  ****ing assholes.

Yup. Get it completely. That was sort of my point. 

I don’t give a **** anymore. I can stay home. **** it. We just hired a nanny. So I’m set to be like this for a while. 

it’s like raising small children. I’ve told you not to hang upside down like that from the bed 100 times. I give up. Fall. **** it. Hurt your head and cry. Maybe that’ll teach you. 

ps - I have no idea where people are getting this data from that says things are on the down slide. It’s not the information I have. But maybe my info is bad. I don’t know. But wife and I are currently making plans for the next year. So, either we’re wrong or the state is wrong. Going to at a minimum wait 3 weeks after reopening to see what happens. But... like I said, we’re making plans for the next year. 

31 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

We've come a long way, baby. 😉

conservatives till call me a liberal when I disagree with them and liberals still call me a republican when I disagree (still happens here lol) so idk. 

I still hate the Democrats platform and generally I think Biden is a terrible presidential candidate.

🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Yup. Get it completely. That was sort of my point. 

I don’t give a **** anymore. I can stay home. **** it. We just hired a nanny. So I’m set to be like this for a while. 

it’s like raising small children. I’ve told you not to hang upside down like that from the bed 100 times. I give up. Fall. **** it. Hurt your head and cry. Maybe that’ll teach you. 

ps - I have no idea where people are getting this data from that says things are on the down slide. It’s not the information I have. But maybe my info is bad. I don’t know. But wife and I are currently making plans for the next year. So, either we’re wrong or the state is wrong. Going to at a minimum wait 3 weeks after reopening to see what happens. But... like I said, we’re making plans for the next year.

I'm in the same situation (and also hired a nanny).  My job is secure.  This still ****ing sucks.  

It's like your example, but when the kid falls, I AM THE ONE that has to take them to the hospital.  I told them not to do it, they did it anyways because they are ****ing dumb and don't listen to people that are far smarter than they are, yet I AM THE ONE that has to deal with the fallout.  

**** these people.  Too mentally weak to suck it up and keep to themselves for another 2 weeks.  Anti-patriots that have to put themselves above their civic responsibilities.  Assholes, all of them.   I don't give a **** if they personally catch it and die.  I just don't want to deal with the fallout from their bad decisions, and that includes being quarantined any longer than is absolutely necessary.  

• Like 2

For those of us with secure jobs it sucks but we can push through obviously. In the end it's just an inconvenience. Imagine people with families to take care of who now can't work and are desperate and worried about their kids and being able to feed and house them. People aren't going to think rationally when that it as the top of their list and panicking. Understandable to be upset and frustrated, but understanding and compassion for people hit way harder and are scared I think is wise. 

People that haven't been making money for a long time and haven't gotten stimulus checks or unemployment. I know people that applied for unemployment awhile ago and up until recently received nothing.

There are definitely those out there that just don't care or think it's a conspiracy. But don't lump all together and remember this is hitting some people really hard. Not saying people on here are, just a thought I had as I was writing the rest of the post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, tshile said:

conservatives till call me a liberal when I disagree with them and liberals still call me a republican when I disagree (still happens here lol) so idk. 

I still hate the Democrats platform and generally I think Biden is a terrible presidential candidate.

This is me in a nutshell. 

Through this pandemic though, I’m a liberal snowflake that hates freedom and America, because I question the tripe the Trump cult posts regularly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

For those of us with secure jobs it sucks but we can push through obviously. In the end it's just an inconvenience. Imagine people with families to take care of who now can't work and are desperate and worried about their kids and being able to feed and house them. People aren't going to think rationally when that it as the top of their list and panicking. Understandable to be upset and frustrated, but understanding and compassion for people hit way harder and are scared I think is wise. 

People that haven't been making money for a long time and haven't gotten stimulus checks or unemployment. I know people that applied for unemployment awhile ago and up until recently received nothing.

There are definitely those out there that just don't care or think it's a conspiracy. But don't lump all together and remember this is hitting some people really hard. Not saying people on here are, just a thought I had as I was writing the rest of the post.

From all I can see, much of the whining and ****ing and moaning isn’t out of the fear of not being able to pay bills.  It’s the Trump cult that are loud and proud of their ignorance.  

I’m not saying there aren’t people who are legit scared of what this will do to their lives financially.  There’s no doubt they are out there, lots of them, but I don’t see or hear much from them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not saying there aren’t people who are legit scared of what this will do to their lives financially.  There’s no doubt they are out there, lots of them, but I don’t see or hear much from them.

Probably too worried about how they will pay their bills to post on a Redskins message board.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Yeah.  It's a rock and a hard place decision for them.  I'm perfectly happy to jack up my taxes to pay them to stay home for the foreseeable future.  But apparently the powers that be decided risking people's lives is preferable.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Probably too worried about how they will pay their bills to post on a Redskins message board.

I’m not talking about here.  I’m talking about what I see plastered all over social media and television.  There are so many conspiracies it’s hard to keep track, the only common denominator is Democrats are satan. 

That said, I gather the folks truly in despair through all this are too busy worrying about those issues than they are posting about freedom on social media and protesting their governors.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I feel as you as I'm retired and I get my direct deposit every month regardless.

This is why I advocate giving monthly payments to the people who will support the economy from the bottom up rather than the usual trickle down voodoo economics. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

This is why I advocate giving monthly payments to the people who will support the economy from the bottom up rather than the usual trickle down voodoo economics. 

But if Skippy allows the government to give monthly payments to individuals, then they might, y'know, follow the advice of the medical experts.  

• Haha 1

Yeah just to be clear I realize some people will feel forced back into work (for whatever reason) when their local area “reopens” even though they personally don’t think it’s safe. 

and my crass post completely ignores those people’s existence. In fact the post doesn’t really work (for the intent I had when I wrote it) at all unless you do ignore them. 

it was born more out of frustration about it all yesterday because how VA is reopening was basically all over the local news and part of local discussions and pretty much every meeting or phone call I had. 

in pretty much all other circumstances I’d be content to just continue to ignore those people’s existence for the sake of making a funnyish/crass post (since I’m out of helpful info at this point and have been for weeks. ) but it’s hard to not feel like garbage after having that pointed out. 

Unfortunately the “bottom” end of the socioeconomic spectrum always gets hurt the most. They lose their jobs first, they get raises last, they’re required to work during a dangerous pandemic because they do those jobs we need to keep food and supply chains running, and they always seem to be the last group of people that the government bothers to help (if they even bother, we’ll bail out industries at the drop of a hat but talk about <50k earners getting help and all the sudden it’s all about moral hazard)

So yeah. Reopening too early is about more than culling the herd of stupid people. Sorry. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Agreed to all you have. To continue on this path - I think it shows just how fragile the unemployment was. Many of those jobs are part time, gig work, and are in the service industry. In a truly robust economy there proportion of those being laid off, fired, furloughed so quickly should not be this high a percentage. 

So it feels like looking at the data that the low unemployment rate was a bit artificial (for lack of another word). So even "reopening" the economy will not result in the same employment levels as just before the pandemic. 

This is even more reason to look at a UBI. 

• Like 2