Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think Larry’s math is a little fuzzy but I get his point.

Actually, Larry's math (well, his English) as was wrong.  

Odds are 60% that nobody in that group is contagious.  I've edited the post.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Actually, Larry's math (well, his English) as was wrong.  

Odds are 60% that nobody in that group is contagious.  I've edited the post.  

Are we talking about people in the video specifically, or people involved with the restaurant over the course of this entire particular day?

Edited by visionary

1 minute ago, visionary said:

Are we talking about people in the picture specifically, or people involved with the restaurant over the course of this entire particular day?

My 40% was a reference to my hypothetical:  5% of people infected, 10 people in the room.  Odds that nobody in the room is infected is 0.95^10 = 59.9%

As to my "Let's say there's 100 people in the room"?  Let's just say that I suspect the over/under on how many of them are infected is 5 (5% of 100).  But the math is beyond me.  

We are really entering the great unknown. Obviously, we can't stay at home forever, but the failure of leadership at the federal level has clearly made things so much worse. Not even the biggest naysayers thought we would be this behind when it came to testing and having a concrete plan going forward -- I mean, we're two months in and all we're leading the world in is bickering and conspiracy theories. 

Hopefully we get lucky basically and the virus doesn't spread like so many reasonable people think it will.

If we start seeing real surges across the country all summer... well there's no just telling what the bottom looks like. We could long for the Great Depression.

Wear a mask. If not for you, for your neighbor. I don't enjoy it either, but what happened to better safe than sorry? 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Agreed. Costco basically said damn the optics to some,but everyone in our stores wears a mask. Period.  Man other businesses need to follow the lead here. Doesn't do a lot of good to have me wear a mask,(which I have to and willingly do so),and not have it mandatory that customers wear them as well. Sigh.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I was in the Home Depot parking lot again today, didn't make it in. Again, too many people. 

Very few people with a mask in Walmart. I was wearing a mask, sunglasses, & gloves. Literally ran, grabbed the 5 things I needed, self checkout. It's a madhouse here. 😫

Home Depot,(and from what I hear Lowes as well),is a wreck. They're all robbing Peter to pay Paul when it comes to manpower. They need associates to watch the doors and count customers entering and leaving the building. So they pull them off the floor. Then there's the curbside delivery thing. That has to be manned as well. Usually 1 -2 outside and 2-3 inside grabbing the orders. That's more off the floor. Add to that what appears to be unprecedented business,(go figure),being funneled in to a limited number of people inside and limited hours open. Yikes.  

Some anecdotal stuff...

As many of you know, I am involved with a car dealer group in Virginia.  6 stores, 40-70 employees per store in good times.  We have since cut about 20% of staff.

And we have never closed.  Unlike many states, VA didn’t put a lot of restrictions on us...Transportation is considered essential.  Business was down about 50% for April.

I could go a lot deeper into it but, the point is this...

We have had one positive.  Two weeks ago, a part-time evening receptionist at two stores got sick.  We doubled up our cleanliness/distancing stuff and crossed our fingers.

And it worked...we think.  The receptionist has recovered, no one is sick and we’re still selling enough Mazdas/Hyundais/oil changes to keep the lights on.

2020 is weird.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, visionary said:

Are we talking about people in the video specifically, or people involved with the restaurant over the course of this entire particular day?

You're just the reporter. Stop asking questions! 🤣

Much love & thanks. 

40 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Some anecdotal stuff...

As many of you know, I am involved with a car dealer group in Virginia.  6 stores, 40-70 employees per store in good times.  We have since cut about 20% of staff.

And we have never closed.  Unlike many states, VA didn’t put a lot of restrictions on us...Transportation is considered essential.  Business was down about 50% for April.

I could go a lot deeper into it but, the point is this...

We have had one positive.  Two weeks ago, a part-time evening receptionist at two stores got sick.  We doubled up our cleanliness/distancing stuff and crossed our fingers.

And it worked...we think.  The receptionist has recovered, no one is sick and we’re still selling enough Mazdas/Hyundais/oil changes to keep the lights on.

2020 is weird.

I know this isn’t Mazda/Hyundais main business but I’m looking to buy a new dually truck.  Now a good time?

10 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

That's good to hear. I heard that used car prices are going through the roof. Especially on trucks. 

if you work where I think you work I know your used car manager James. 

What’s happening in the used car market right now is a completely new thing.  No college education, no amount of time in the biz could prepare us.

In a nutshell...

Biz is down 50%

But, Biz on pricey trucks and sub-$15k stuff is actually up 10% at the moment

There is no clear path for new or used inventory going into June.  The factories are closed.  The auctions are closed.

Its gonna be a bloodbath in July.

38 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I know this isn’t Mazda/Hyundais main business but I’m looking to buy a new dually truck.  Now a good time?

Maybe.  Duallys aren’t my thing, tho.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

What’s happening in the used car market right now is a completely new thing.  No college education, no amount of time in the biz could prepare us.

In a nutshell...

Biz is down 50%

But, Biz on pricey trucks and sub-$15k stuff is actually up 10% at the moment

There is no clear path for new or used inventory going into June.  The factories are closed..

If I wasn't halfway through a pint, we'd be talking about my 3rd car. 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Our government has been extremely conservative and cautious.  And seeing the States response.... I'd wager Canada isn't going to be opening up the border to the US any time soon. Our government has invested way too much.... and it's not an election year here... so there's no pressure to open up the economy as quickly as possible.

• Like 3