Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Watched the Alex Smith doc today. ****. Dudes leg is a mess.

At this point I'm scared to even enter the Alex Smith thread in the stadium out of fear of seeing the photos. The descriptions I've heard sound disgusting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

At this point I'm scared to even enter the Alex Smith thread in the stadium out of fear of seeing the photos. The descriptions I've heard sound disgusting. 

I saw the one on Reddit. What I saw in the ESPN doc was waaaaay worse.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

If you thought the first one was bad (if you've even seen it), the second one is... Omg (coming from someone who did crime scene cleanups).

• Sad 1

This has to be the longest my hair's ever been.  I guess it's not ridiculous since it sweeps out of the way well enough, but when straight, it comes down to the bottom of my nose.  Maybe I should go for some peek-a-bangs because when else are you gonna get the chance to play around with a ridiculous hair style and blame it on a pandemic?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

This has to be the longest my hair's ever been.  I guess it's not ridiculous since it sweeps out of the way well enough, but when straight, it comes down to the bottom of my nose.  Maybe I should go for some peek-a-bangs because when else are you gonna get the chance to play around with a ridiculous hair style and blame it on a pandemic?

Let it grow.  My hair is not quite as long as it's been --- that was in college, but it's getting close.  By my birthday (June) I might be able to make a pony tail.

Got email that two security guards at my job tested positive, one symptomatic.

Ya, they aren't bringing us back anytime soon, no idea next time I'm seeing coworkers, but feel worse because the security guards are sitting ducks in the meantime.

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Got email that two security guards at my job tested positive, one symptomatic.

Ya, they aren't bringing us back anytime soon, no idea next time I'm seeing coworkers, but feel worse because the security guards are sitting ducks in the meantime.

Yeah, I think Zoom is gonna be a mainstay for me too. Area around where I work has some of the highest numbers in the whole state.

• Sad 2

Does anyone think the increase in using Zoom is stupid?  Just have a regular call, I don't need to see you and you don't need to see me.  I'm in a t-shirt, I haven't shaved in 4 days, I haven't had a haircut since February, you don't have any makeup on or, if you do, it's only because you put it on specifically because you had to join this stupid Zoom call instead of just having a regular conference call.  Just have a regular call.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does anyone think the increase in using Zoom is stupid?  Just have a regular call, I don't need to see you and you don't need to see me.  I'm in a t-shirt, I haven't shaved in 4 days, I haven't had a haircut since February, you don't have any makeup on or, if you do, it's only because you put it on specifically because you had to join this stupid Zoom call instead of just having a regular conference call.  Just have a regular call.  

Probably to keep some feel of being "together". I'm lucky my job hasn't transitioned to video conferences yet.

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Haven't used it at all.  And yes, I think it's stupid.  It's just a way for bosses who are initially anti-WFH to make sure that you're present and accounted for and sitting at your desk and not ****ing off somewhere that you shouldn't be, like taking a call from the comfort of your bed or out on your porch.  They want to know that you're as engaged as you can be and that means being on camera and looking like you're paying attention.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The share screen option on Zoom has been very useful to us. The video makes it somehow more clear who is talking. Visuals are often pretty important. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, youngestson said:

The share screen option on Zoom has been very useful to us. The video makes it somehow more clear who is talking. Visuals are often pretty important. 

Not in my line of work.  I've been doing concalls long enough to know that starting a sentence with "This is PB...." solves that problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Only if you have stuff that makes sense sharing your screen for.  When it comes to customer service, if you can't fix my problem, your pearly white teeth aren't going to make a difference to me.

@Mr. Sinister thought about what you said, zoom is like our backup backup that's unsupported, Microsoft Team's has recently taken over Skype for Business here and we actively trying to get out of WebEx.

Zoom is popular for what it's meant for, it was perfectly fine for my Masters classes but its not a productivity tool and that's another reason other software companies are smelling blood in the water in it's popularity and functionality.  Slack is ten times better, Zoom is only good for what it's good at, I don't think it was even meant to replace some of these integrated productivity tools.

Church I go to is an example of this, we started with making sure Zoom was working for Sunday service since we used it for everything else, but Youtube streaming is just infinitely better and actually meant for that.

You can spend all day working on a car with the wrong tool, we finding how quickly Zoom isn't the right tool for this next stage in what it means to have a job where you expected to have your own computer provided to you. 

My job is lucky they committed to giving everyone laptops with docking stations at work, all we had do was make sure the bandwidth kept up concerning the VPN client and other productivity tools. 

We got an email asking to stagger our meetings using a certain tool, like more meetings at half hour instead if top of hour, that tool is now being phased out.

One of my bosses is sick with a high fever and waiting on the results of his covid test. One of our other office people is feeling a little weird too and she had to work closeish around him late last week. I'm high risk as ****, so I've wiped down all my computer and phone stuff and I'm trying to stay as safe as possible during the times I have to work in the office. I was also around the guy myself last Monday, but so far I feel fine, outside of my usual seizures, chronic pain, and CKD.

Dude's wife works for a hospital. It was just a matter of time really that he would get this thing and I'm kind of low-key pissed that he didn't take more precautions not just for himself but the other people around him. Way too many people still are not taking this seriously enough.

• Sad 4

34 minutes ago, youngestson said:

31 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Not in my line of work.  I've been doing concalls long enough to know that starting a sentence with "This is PB...." solves that problem.  

I've been using webex and gotomeeting for online meetings for like 12 years. Never needed to see anyone else. Plus, the UI tells you who is talking at any given moment, and we can share our screens to show the interface work we're conducting or the usability test results PPT. We've had a few perspective clients use video on their end to talk to us and it always come across as tacky and unprofessional. Bad lighting, half-drawn horizontal blinds, trash can in the corner, etc, etc...it's distracting, actually. Much prefer talk-only meetings where you just pay attention to what's being said.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2