Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

On 5/24/2020 at 12:21 PM, techboy said:

Civilization 6 is free this week on Epic Games. Apparently they're giving away a game every week to try to take market share from Steam. There is some controversy about their app, but if you're willing to install it, free stuff.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/ark/home?sessionInvalidated=true

ARK: Survival Evolved is free this week on the Epic Games Store.    

Fyi. 

a lot of people have experienced a definite uptick in their alcohol consumption these last few months and it's tough for numerous obvious reasons to access all kinds of professional assistance that one might normally try if you felt the need

so though i'm officially retired, i want to share a do-it-yourself format for an 'alcoholic intervention' as explained by one of my go-to sources for human behavior---michael scott of dunder-mifflin....i don't have a video clip so i wrote a word for word transcript of his presentation and i hope it helps someone if needed

"an intervention....it's sort of hard to describe....really, it's a coming together, it's.....it's a surprise party....for the people who have addictions....and you get in their face and you scream at them and you make them feel really badly about themselves and then they stop"

don't thank me, i am just the messenger and the glory is all michael's

i'll take another shot, though

• Haha 2

By the time you need to hold an intervention, they are a lost cause. But it's therapeutic to bring together everyone whose lives that have been negatively impacted by the alcoholic and allow everyone to vent and scream at the loser.

2 hours ago, Jumbo said:

a lot of people have experienced a definite uptick in their alcohol consumption these last few months and it's tough for numerous obvious reasons to access all kinds of professional assistance that one might normally try if you felt the need

so though i'm officially retired, i want to share a do-it-yourself format for an 'alcoholic intervention' as explained by one of my go-to sources for human behavior---michael scott of dunder-mifflin....i don't have a video clip so i wrote a word for word transcript of his presentation and i hope it helps someone if needed

"an intervention....it's sort of hard to describe....really, it's a coming together, it's.....it's a surprise party....for the people who have addictions....and you get in their face and you scream at them and you make them feel really badly about themselves and then they stop"

don't thank me, i am just the messenger and the glory is all michael's

i'll take another shot, though

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm curious to see if everyone in here is still staying all cooped up and not interacting with people.  We have definitely gotten a bit laid back with it.

And by that I mean we have had a few friends over.  We had a play date for our son where his friend and her mom came over and they were playing in his playroom but also in the inflatable pool we got, so a lot of time spent outside.  Then our other friends came over the next day and brought some PF Chang and we hung out and ate/drank, inside then moved outside after we finished eating.  Yesterday we hung out with like 4 families and played a bunch of cornhole and grilled while the kids were running around riding bikes and stuff, again mainly being outside.  We weren't all touchy feely or anything but we also weren't taking any extra precautions to stay 6ft apart or anything.  

All of these families though have been in the same position as us where they are staying home and not doing anything, so it's pretty safe to assume they also don't have any covid just like we don't.

And of course when we go out to stores and stuff in crowded indoor places that is where I'm still taking precautions wearing masks and keeping my distance.  

I talk to my neighbors occasionally, which is normal for me, we stay six feet apart. The neighbors that I talk to are about my age so we are pretty much keeping to ourselves. 

I'm going grocery shopping later today, so will wear my mask and keep social distance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I'm curious to see if everyone in here is still staying all cooped up and not interacting with people.  We have definitely gotten a bit laid back with it.

And by that I mean we have had a few friends over.  We had a play date for our son where his friend and her mom came over and they were playing in his playroom but also in the inflatable pool we got, so a lot of time spent outside.  Then our other friends came over the next day and brought some PF Chang and we hung out and ate/drank, inside then moved outside after we finished eating.  Yesterday we hung out with like 4 families and played a bunch of cornhole and grilled while the kids were running around riding bikes and stuff, again mainly being outside.  We weren't all touchy feely or anything but we also weren't taking any extra precautions to stay 6ft apart or anything.  

All of these families though have been in the same position as us where they are staying home and not doing anything, so it's pretty safe to assume they also don't have any covid just like we don't.

And of course when we go out to stores and stuff in crowded indoor places that is where I'm still taking precautions wearing masks and keeping my distance.  

Nope. Still quarantining. 

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I think more and more people are becoming lax.  I see more people out at restaurants not wearing masks (and I know you can't eat with a mask on, I mean people picking up or ordering food for carry-out).  People apparently don't know how far six feet is or don't care anymore.  I've seen that in both parks and stores.  Many people are making summer vacation plans that won't just be a family by themselves in a cabin or house somewhere.  I won't be surprised if all of this leads to an uptick in cases or a second wave.  Americans have short attention spans, and many who haven't had it or don't know anyone who's had it are beginning to act like it's not really an issue.

We're supposed to go to OCNJ in mid-July with our son, girlfriend, SIL & BIL. I'm not feeling it. Told my wife I don't need to drive 5.5 hours to sit inside or on a deck. If the water is too cold I'll sit on the beach & bake. Can do that on our deck. 

So the jury is in deliberation. Expecting a ruling in late June/early July.

28 minutes ago, China said:

I think more and more people are becoming lax.  I see more people out at restaurants not wearing masks (and I know you can't eat with a mask on, I mean people picking up or ordering food for carry-out).  People apparently don't know how far six feet is or don't care anymore.  I've seen that in both parks and stores.  Many people are making summer vacation plans that won't just be a family by themselves in a cabin or house somewhere.  I won't be surprised if all of this leads to an uptick in cases or a second wave.  Americans have short attention spans, and many who haven't had it or don't know anyone who's had it are beginning to act like it's not really an issue.

I don't know where you are but I'm in Rockville and people are still very diligent about mask wearing around here.  I've seen multiple times people walking up to doors of stores like 7-11 and realizing they don't have a mask on and turning around to leave or go in their car and get one.  Stores require them here and I haven't seen one person without one in probably over a month and I run to stores often if I need something.  I just take the precautions.

I have noticed some people behind me in line not standing 6ft but I think it's more that they just don't think about it more than they don't care.  More than one time I've seen someone who is closer than 6 feet realize it and apologized for it.  

We are still on the fence if we're going to head down to the keys this week.  We would be renting an SUV and driving down there if we do.  I know Florida is completely different than around here as far as how they are handling stuff, and that they have had a huge uptick in cases.  However down in the keys, as of yesterday, they had 126 TOTAL cases of covid because they closed down the borders like late March.  There are probably more than 126 new cases a day in Montgomery County.  I know down there too masks aren't required to enter stores but asking around on local keys message boards it seems like about 50% of people are wearing them.   Restaurants are open for indoor seating at 50% capacity but I don't think we would eat indoor if we did go.  

Edited by purbeast

Been pretty isolated other than my wife going to work. We picked up supplies from my daughter's friend for her social distancing birthday party and that was the closest we've been to anyone else. And I picked up pizza and beer from the local joint.

Edit: I should add that I'm very close to the friends I game with and we've been playing online a lot, so I really don't feel that isolated personally. It's just odd not to leave the house much.

Edited by dfitzo53

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

Been pretty isolated other than my wife going to work. We picked up supplies from my daughter's friend for her social distancing birthday party and that was the closest we've been to anyone else. And I picked up pizza and beer from the local joint.

Edit: I should add that I'm very close to the friends I game with and we've been playing online a lot, so I really don't feel that isolated personally. It's just odd not to leave the house much.

It's been pretty tough, and I'm a single guy. Can't imagine how much tougher it's been for families trying to get through all this.

• Like 4