Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

20 hours ago, purbeast said:

I'm curious to see if everyone in here is still staying all cooped up and not interacting with people.  We have definitely gotten a bit laid back with it.

And by that I mean we have had a few friends over.  We had a play date for our son where his friend and her mom came over and they were playing in his playroom but also in the inflatable pool we got, so a lot of time spent outside.  Then our other friends came over the next day and brought some PF Chang and we hung out and ate/drank, inside then moved outside after we finished eating.  Yesterday we hung out with like 4 families and played a bunch of cornhole and grilled while the kids were running around riding bikes and stuff, again mainly being outside.  We weren't all touchy feely or anything but we also weren't taking any extra precautions to stay 6ft apart or anything.  

All of these families though have been in the same position as us where they are staying home and not doing anything, so it's pretty safe to assume they also don't have any covid just like we don't.

And of course when we go out to stores and stuff in crowded indoor places that is where I'm still taking precautions wearing masks and keeping my distance.  

My family is still in self quarantine mode.  That said, we are a family of 6 with 3 high risk patients, so we will be for awhile.

• Like 2

We are continuing in quarantine mode with distancing, masks, hand washing etc. I don’t see the restaurant experience as currently offered being worth the risk of infection.

But we don’t have kids and any pressure for that socialization.

We hike, run and dog walk with neighbors and friends while maintaining distancing. 

It does seem that infection risks are way, way higher when people spend longer periods of time in indoor spaces and I think that bodes badly for school reopenings.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 3

Me either. I was around roughly 20 people yesterday and was kinda freaked out. There are only about 8 of us on a lunch shift at work, and we have "lanes". 

Once again, I gotta hand it to my boss. This all happened right after his mother (Bronx-born Italian, our owner of 40 years) passed away suddenly. He's put a lot of time & money into making sure we keep going safely. Despite our idiot governor relaxing almost all mask regulations, he still won't open the dining room. 

I like that. 😷😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

We are continuing in quarantine mode with distancing, masks, hand washing etc. I don’t see the restaurant experience as currently offered being worth the risk of infection.

But we don’t have kids and any pressure for that socialization.

We hike, run and dog walk with neighbors and friends while maintaining distancing. 

It does seem that infection risks are way, way higher when people spend longer periods of time in indoor spaces and I think that bodes badly for school reopenings.

Yeah my school system is currently expecting to be virtual or hybrid in the fall and possibly well into the next school year.

• Like 2

My work is trying to ignore the part of phase 2 that explicitly states that employers are to “encourage telework whenever possible” and get everybody back in the office. **** is super stressful for me and my wife, who spent all weekend going through EEEOC and ADA websites to find information to push back against that, especially since I'm high risk. My hands are shaking from the stress and fighting with my boss about it this morning almost sent me into a seizure.

• Sad 5

56 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

My work is trying to ignore the part of phase 2 that explicitly states that employers are to “encourage telework whenever possible” and get everybody back in the office. **** is super stressful for me and my wife, who spent all weekend going through EEEOC and ADA websites to find information to push back against that, especially since I'm high risk. My hands are shaking from the stress and fighting with my boss about it this morning almost sent me into a seizure.

What would your boss do if you told him or her that you needed to telework? 

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What would your boss do if you told him or her that you needed to telework? 

Basically, we're at the point where I need to get a note from my doctor telling them I have stage 3 CKD, seizures, and breathing issues, even though my boss knows I have these problems already. I've got a phone appointment with my doctor today and hopefully she can find the time to write a quick note for me. It's nonsense, but I'm jumping through the hoops and getting it done rather than fighting with them further about it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Basically, we're at the point where I need to get a note from my doctor telling them I have stage 3 CKD, seizures, and breathing issues, even though my boss knows I have these problems already. I've got a phone appointment with my doctor today and hopefully she can find the time to write a quick note for me. It's nonsense, but I'm jumping through the hoops and getting it done rather than fighting with them further about it.

That sucks, but yeah, seems like you may as well check the boxes to stay safe. 

• Thanks 1

We are relaxing our practices a bit.  First and foremost, our daughter started going back to kindergarten today.  We enrolled her at a new school and they have what we consider to be appropriate preventative and diagnostic measures in place and limit class sizes to 6.  We thought a lot about this decision, but although we can both work from home indefinitely, both my wife and I have to actually work during the day and we also have a 4 month old so we delayed it as long as we could. 

We have also been hanging out with our neighbors, the same 4 families including us, for the past 2 months and we have basically an informal agreement that nobody does anything else (e.g., nobody go anywhere crowded or out to eat at sit-down places, protests, etc.).  One of those neighbors is a Yale-educated doctor, so he's a helpful resource.  It is, we think, a good balancing of limiting social interactions with maintaining our mental health and keeping our daughter from being too isolated (and giving me people to drink with so I'm not constantly drunkposting on ES :) ).  

All of this is in the context of living in Alexandria, which has not been hard hit (only 225 hospitalizations) and has been trending in the right direction for over a month (positivety rate is down to 6.6%).  Aside from the 2 things above, we don't plan on changing much for awhile.  I don't foresee us going to eat at a restaurant for a long time (but we order takeout regularly) or otherwise going anywhere that would require us to be in close proximity to strangers other than the grocery store.   

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the real talk in this thread.  My honey are self isolating and still socially distancing whenever we leave the house which is rare and usually for medical appointments or her favorite Lowes. 😊

We even got our first take out meal over the weekend!

• Like 2

In PA, gov Wolf is going by Red-Yellow-Green, and currently my county is in yellow.  Which is some stuff open, some stuff not.  IE - restaurants are outside only in yellow, takeout and no bars even if outside.  gatherings are limited to 25.

During quarantine i was on parental leave for 8 straight weeks, and I went on walks with the little ones as much as possible.  Once golf opened up in PA i have went a few times.  

Fridays we order pick up or delivery and have been doing so from smaller places, or even multiple.  For example, got 2 pizzas and garlic knots from the pizza shop, and got appetizers and a slushie (Swedish fish with plenty of booze) from a local small bar last friday.

Last saturday we had our first family gathering (22 people) where poeple wore masks or just socially distanced.  People played shuffleboard or baggo but washed hands etc.

in two weeks we are hosting our first get together and will have tailgating chairs set up spaced out in the yard and on deck.  

If it wasn't for my love of video games and sports cards at this age, i'd be going crazy.  however, video games with friends have led me to probably drink more than i should so i've been trying to cut that back lol!

• Like 2

Just got back from the grocery store.  I find it annoying that people can't follow the simple rule of one way traffic flow through aisles, when they are clearly marked.  Also, I saw one older lady who had her mask down by her chin (not covering her nose or mouth).  I had to resist the urge to tell her that they don't work when you wear them that way and that she might as well not be wearing one at all.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, China said:

Just got back from the grocery store.  I find it annoying that people can't follow the simple rule of one way traffic flow through aisles, when they are clearly marked.  Also, I saw one older lady who had her mask down by her chin (not covering her nose or mouth).  I had to resist the urge to tell her that they don't work when you wear them that way and that she might as well not be wearing one at all.

At the one I go to, they have mask nazis walking around to make sure people are wearing theirs.

Yeah, I've noticed the "I'm just gonna go where I want" folks too. Thankfully I go during less busier times (either early in the morning or late at night)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, China said:

I cannot tell you how many times i've realized leaving an aisle, i was going the wrong way.  Just tough for me, personally, as when I go to a grocery store I move as quick as possible and hit all my spots, my routine is messed up with the one ways.  Not a great excuse, but I do try and correct myself when doing it.

Also, has anyone else noticed how many people eat/drink, with masks hanging off their chin?  its at least every trip to walmart, i feel 1 person does it!

• Like 1

I am fortunate that my stores don't have the direction arrows because otherwise I'd be accused of ignoring them. Then again, maybe they are there and I'm ignoring them, I have no idea. All I know is that when I go to the frozen isle to pick up my life sustaining supply of sherbet and ice cream, I'm going to go straight to the freezer by the most direct means possible and leaving by the most direct means possible. If not circling my prey makes me bad to the bone, so be it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Please support your local small restaurants. I order out once a week, don't spend a bunch, but I try to keep my favorite small places going. 

I've been going out to eat at local joints 3 times a week since the quarantine hit.  Before that it was usually once or twice a week.  I'll frequently add an extra item to me order that I normally wouldn't, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the things I learned in quarantine front:

I go through razors too fast.  They simply accumulate hair between the blades until they can't cut any more hair.  I try washing them out, shaking them out against a towel, and doing so again before I use them (when they are dry).  Nothing seemed to work....

then I tried my water pick.  Voila!  Now I am not going through a razor every 4 shaves.

Yes.  It really is the small things in life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah we're basically done with quarantine. We still try to do things in small groups though. We play volleyball and its only 6-8 people tops. We went to dinner and had a game night Saturday and it was only 6 of us.

Asking people to stay cooped up for 3+ months is absurd, especially in the summer months. Just take precautions and if you're at risk or feeling sick, stay home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Had my quarantine birthday yesterday. Wasn’t as bad as i thought it would be. A couple months ago i figured bars would be open by now here in McLean/Arlington, but that’s not the case, so my family (parents, and my sister/her fiancé who are in town for the month to get out of NYC) had happy hour for me out on our deck. Got to enjoy a cigar and a beer, had a steak and lobster dinner, and my sister made me a cake, with the words “20-*******_

so, yeah. Not a bad way to spend a quarantine birthday. 

• Like 2

Remember that time when 3000 people died and now almost two decades later you still don't have a right to privacy?  This year 100,000+ people have died (in the US) and I'm betting a substantial proportion of the folks who cheer for the PATRIOT act are the same ones complaining about having to wear a mask.  What has saved more lives, the constant violation of our rights to privacy over a 19 year period, or social distancing and wearing a piece of cloth over your face when you go out over the course of the last few months?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5