Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Quarantine Thread

No Excuses

With Humans in Hiding, Animals Take Back the World

It took just a few days of lockdown for baby rabbits to dare to cross once-bustling roads in Christchurch, New Zealand, and less than a week for a puma to descend from the Andes Mountains into Santiago, one of South America’s busiest capitals. In Barcelona, wild boar, a familiar sight for citizens on the city’s outskirts, have made their way into Diagonal Avenue, an eight-lane thoroughfare. 

It’s surprising and strange, yes, but also meaningful. Research suggests that ecosystems can rebound with speed once human intervention subsides.

1600x-1.jpg

On April 5, two cows strolled on a Corsican beach usually popular with tourists. It was the 20th day of a strict shutdown in France. 

1600x-1.jpg

A young puma walked the streets of Santiago on March 24 after the government ordered confinement measures in some areas of the Chilean capital.

1600x-1.jpg

Mountain goats roamed the streets of Llandudno, in Wales, on March 31, one week after U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson issued a stay-at-home order. 

1600x-1.jpg

Since Italy’s countrywide lockdown was imposed, the water in Venice’s canals have cleared, and residents have noticed more birds appearing. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 8

Anyone been to any Walmarts in the DMV since the lockdown went into effect?  I want to hit up the one in Walmart to get some stuff for my son for Easter (they have some items in stock at that specific one) and a few groceries, but not sure what the whole shopping situation is in them and not sure how I feel about going to a big ass store like that.  I also don't want to go and wait outside in line for like 2 hours if it's super crowded an they are doing one out one in type of things.

I just went to Walmart in Laurel, and it is a night/day difference in PG county vs. Moco county.  Walmart was pretty damn crowded, you wouldn't know there is anything going on, other than a handful of people with masks on.  I went to get a specific toy for my son for Easter that they had there, and was going to get some eggs and cleaning stuff we needed to, but when I saw how crowded it was, I didn't bother with those.  The toy section was empty so I got my stuff and rolled self checkout which was pretty empty.  The roads are also noticeably more crowded out there.

Then on the way home I stopped by the Safeway right near my house cause I had to return movie to Redbox outside, return 2 packages at Amazon locker there, and then got eggs and cleaning stuff there.  The parking lot was the most empty I've ever seen it, and saw pretty much everyone with masks on.

It was just kind of unreal to see the differences 30 minutes away from where I live.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You know what this reminds me of? That 2 years ago GOT was the most popular show in the world and now everybody is on quarantine and stuck inside or off work and yet nobody wants to rewatch it

I had planned on rewatching it all the way through as soon as it was done. Then it ended and .... nope. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You know what this reminds me of? That 2 years ago GOT was the most popular show in the world and now everybody is on quarantine and stuck inside or off work and yet nobody wants to rewatch it

No way I'm suffering through that last season again. Ugh..... what a waste.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Never actually even seen that show.  It’s about dwarves and dragons and ****, right?

• Sad 1

Exactly.

I had watched seasons 1-6 4 times. Season 7 I watched twice once live and once before season 8. 

I have no desire to watch any of it again. Something I loved. 

They took something amazing and turned it so bad that it took the world months to recover and when it finally did it tried to murder us with a virus as payback. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1