Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

3 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I feel like there's not enough discussion about this.  Perhaps because not enough is known, but whether you can get reinfected by the same thing seems like critical info.

My thoughts after reading that:  

1)  Sure would be nice to know if that's a case of "reinfection" or "didn't fully recover, the first time".  

2)  Also reflecting that, if the antibodies only last twp weeks, then that says a lot about the odds of a successful vaccine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The spread was inevitable, the lack of preparedness and refusal to acknowledge what was happening while it was happening to adjust and properly inform the public was preventable.

I'm down with saying we cant completely prevent pandemics.  I'm not down with back hand giving Trump a pass on how hes been carrying himself on this topic.

I'm not giving anyone a pass...every leader in this world ****ed up...big time...if only there was a global organization that studied health that could have foreseen this and helped prepare the world... WHO in the world could do this type of monitoring...

People are idiots too, my wife said they were putting out boxes of masks at the hospital for patients and visitors to use while there but the entire boxes kept getting stolen so they had to start handing them out one at a time.

What the hell is wrong with people?

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, justice98 said:

How does somebody NOT question it?

This is what you get when you elect a narcissistic sociopath to office. It was blatantly obvious during his public appearances  that his primary thoughts were not about the people who were sick and the risk of spread, but how the outbreak was reflecting on him and how the economic impact was hurting his standing

He doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body. And because he is so prone to snap judgements, reliant on sources biased to his own self-interest,  and possessing a woeful lack of intellectual capacity and forethought, we have a President uniquely ill-suited to handle a crisis like this.

• Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

Wash your hands after handling cash. 

I'll also add, disinfect your credit cards too, after other people handle them. Think twice about places you never even thought about, like barber shops/salons. Any place where people are actively touching you or something you own.

I know we like to think that they are being sanitary just as much as we are, but my own past experiences (and I'm sure many here as well) prove that not to be true, many times.

6 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

This is what you get when you elect a narcissistic sociopath to office. It was blatantly obvious during his public appearances  that his primary thoughts were not about the people who were sick and the risk of spread, but how the outbreak was reflecting on him and how the economic impact was hurting his standing

He doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body. And because he is so prone to snap judgements, reliant on sources biased to his own self-interest,  and possessing a woeful lack of intellectual capacity and forethought, we have a President uniquely ill-suited to handle a crisis like this.

Its damn crazy when your own worst of the worst fears are being surpassed.

38 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I'm skeptical about a C19 vaccine.  The common cold is a big hassle and is a related coronavirus.  If that was easily vaccine-able, we would have had it by now.  I hope I'm wrong.

Common cold is also a lot of viruses outside of the coronavirus family. I think only four coronavirus strains cause the cold. I suspect we don’t have a vaccine against them because it’s not necessary and under-studied, rather than not being feasible.

A vaccine could work here but we don’t know how this thing mutates. It’s feasible that they can isolate a genomic region that has a low chance of acquiring mutations because it’s critical to the functioning of the virus. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Larry said:

My thoughts after reading that:  

1)  Sure would be nice to know if that's a case of "reinfection" or "didn't fully recover, the first time".  

2)  Also reflecting that, if the antibodies only last twp weeks, then that says a lot about the odds of a successful vaccine.  

Good points, Larry. 

Just now, No Excuses said:

Common cold is also a lot of viruses outside of the coronavirus family. I think only four coronavirus strains cause the cold. I suspect we don’t have a vaccine against them because it’s not necessary and under-studied, rather than not being feasible.

A vaccine could work here but we don’t know how this thing mutates. It’s feasible that they can isolate a region that has a low chance of acquiring mutations because it’s critical to the functioning of the virus. 

I certainly hope you're right.  I do know that developing a vaccine is challenging, and not easily predictable.  People have been working on a HIV vaccine for decades and we are still waiting.  Multiple trials have been unsuccessful.  These things are hard.  

It makes the story of the polio/smallpox successes all the more remarkable.  

28 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I know we like to think that they are being sanitary just as much as we are, but my own past experiences (and I'm sure many here as well) prove that not to be true, many times.

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat myself here.  I was at Nationals baseball spring training games last week...

I've never seen such diligent hand-washing in a stadium men's room as what I witnessed at the ballpark in West Palm Beach.  Guys looked like they were scrubbing up for surgery.  The lines for the sinks were as long as the lines for the urinals. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Exercise, eat well, get sleep. That is always important, but so important now.

Wash your hands.

Avoid really large gatherings.

Research how you can help because people are going to need it. And there's a good chance you will either be one of those people or be related to them.

My hospital just announced that there will be no in-person meetings of 10+ people unless absolutely necessary.  Lots of virtual/teleconference meetings in my future.  I wish I had invested in Zoom/gotomeeting/etc.

43 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

A vaccine could work here but we don’t know how this thing mutates. It’s feasible that they can isolate a genomic region that has a low chance of acquiring mutations because it’s critical to the functioning of the virus. 

I get the impression that best case scenario is a couple years of this, provided there is a vaccine or containment efforts begin to be more effective.  If anything, if all the things people shoulda been doing before start to become the norm (like hand washing, covering coughs, etc), that might help long term.

Wife's hospital has suspended all volunteer operations is banning visitation for all patients with a few exceptions,(NICU and deliveries I believe as well as severe trauma and a few others). 1 visitor each and none under 12-14 y/o depending on who you listen to. Those visitors allowed only through 2 entrances and are screened first. Q&A thing. 

• Like 1

U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command has signed an arrangement with Gilead Sciences to provide the company’s investigational coronavirus drug to U.S. troops confirmed to have the COVID-19 virus.

Gilead’s medication, remdesivir, was approved for clinical research in February by the Food and Drug Administration. The medication, which initially was developed by the Foster City, California-based company to treat Ebola, has had some demonstrated success targeting coronaviruses, including Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, or MERS, and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, SARS.

The medicine, given intravenously, is currently being tested for safety and effectiveness in two separate clinical trials in China and one by the National Institute of Allergy and Infection Diseases. In the U.S. study, the first volunteer was an evacuee from the Diamond Princess cruise ship hospitalized with the illness at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/03/10/army-signs-agreement-with-drug-giant-gilead-on-experimental-covid-19-treatment/

I have asthma and live with 2 elderly folks. 

Think I should be avoiding the gym? Like Planet Fitness. Huge gym with lots of people. I have noticed they are wheeling around a cart now full of hand sanitize and disinfectant but im a little worried about the amount of people in there. 

*im somewhere between waldorf and bowie if that matters 

Edited by Llevron

2 hours ago, hail2skins said:

That read more like pleading than questioning.  The main thrust of the article is begging the President to, just this once, do his job. 

• Sad 1