Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Air Force not allowing families to attend Basic Training Graduation. Other branches have or are probably doing the same. I feel bad for those families that will miss out,(got to see my youngest stepson graduate 6 weeks ago),but it is a good thing for the military to do. 

• Like 2

I have a job interview with a fairly large group of people tomorrow and I'm either going to have to take Uber or a subway for half the trip there. It could be big for my career, so I can't miss it. My anxiety is through the ****ing roof right now, so I think I've had enough coronavirus news for one day. 

More productive in my case to think positively, get some sleep, take my vitamins and follow common sense hygiene practices than obsess over what I could be running into tomorrow. But yeah, I'm freaking out, not gonna lie. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Literally everything you post is rancid, misinformed, and a parrot of another man’s propaganda. Yet somehow in this thread you’ve outdone yourself. 

How is quarantining people going? The virus spread around the world regardless of our actions. Except now their are supply and demand disruptions as we try to separate and control something that is uncontrollable.

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How is quarantining people going? The virus spread around the world regardless of our actions. Except now their are supply and demand disruptions as we try to separate and control something that is uncontrollable.

This is exactly wrong.  The goal of quarantine is not really to prevent spread.  That is unrealistic at this point.  If our government had acted appropriately weeks/months ago, maybe.  But not now.   The goal should be to slow spread as much as possible, so that the capacity of the health care infrastructure is not exceeded, or at least not by too much.  Countries that have instituted strict and aggressive quarantines and controls have achieved this, and have far lower mortality than countries that have reacted too late and too timidly.  

A modicum of reading would make this clear.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, PCS said:

Air Force not allowing families to attend Basic Training Graduation. Other branches have or are probably doing the same. I feel bad for those families that will miss out,(got to see my youngest stepson graduate 6 weeks ago),but it is a good thing for the military to do. 

Navy announced it a few days ago.

11 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

So we can have this on record, what do you think the fatality rate in the US will be, most likely case? More people than the flu or less? If it’s less the biggest cost of this will be economic.

If we somehow manage to keep the number of dead americans from this virus to less than the average seasonal flu, that would represent a big success.  The social distancing, slowing of travel, closing of schools, etc, would have saved lives.  This virus appears, in early data, to be both more infectious and more lethal than the typical seasonal flu.  Unchecked, this could kill hundreds of thousands or even millions.  It is worth the economic disruption.

I very much fear that, in this best case scenario, the stupid among us will see a relatively small final number of dead, assume the whole thing was a hoax or overblown, and not learn any lessons for the inevitable next pandemic or in the value of public health investment.

6 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

@bcl05

Is this legit?

I don't think so.  There are a lot of symptomatic and infected patients without pulmonary fibrosis who are still spreading disease.  That breath-holding thing is probably a reasonable approximation to see if someone has severe disease, but that's about it. 

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

South Korea has 'passed the peak' of the coronavirus outbreak, health minister hopes

South Korea's top public health official hopes that the country has already gone through the worst of the novel coronavirus outbreak that has infected thousands inside the country.

"We are hoping that we have passed the peak, taking the numbers into consideration, and cautiously expecting we have passed the peak," South Korean Health Minister Park Neunghoo said in an exclusive interview with CNN.

More than 7,300 coronavirus infections have been confirmed throughout South Korea, killing more than 50. It is one of the largest outbreaks outside mainland China, where the deadly virus was first identified. However, the number of new daily infections in South Korea has declined in recent days.

Park said that while he believes the aggregate number of infections is high, he is confident in the job South Korea did to combat the virus' spread and would advise other governments who are dealing with outbreaks to focus efforts on early testing and global cooperation.

"Detecting patients at an early stage is very important and we learned the simple lessons by dealing with this virus that this is very contagious -- and once it starts, it spreads very quickly and in very wide areas," Park said. "Raising the testing capability is very important because that way, you can detect someone who's carrying the virus, then you can contain the virus."

48 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

I don't think so.  There are a lot of symptomatic and infected patients without pulmonary fibrosis who are still spreading disease.  That breath-holding thing is probably a reasonable approximation to see if someone has severe disease, but that's about it. 

The only thing about the hold the breath is to see if you have some sort of lung issue, possibly from the virus, and not if you have the virus. I deleted the  picture. 

29 minutes ago, zskins said:

The only thing about the hold the breath is to see if you have some sort of lung issue, possibly from the virus, and not if you have the virus. I deleted the  picture. 

I  can hold my breath and my lungs are a disaster area.

• Haha 2