Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

15 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Has anyone seen any estimates when the US will reach peak? UK is saying in the next couple of weeks and after that it will be on the decline, but how is that without a vaccine and relatively easy ongoing transmittal?

This virus spreads a bit different than the flu where it seems to be spreading primarily in local clusters of people in very close contact. If we are catching people fast enough, like they are in China and South Korea, then the case #s will start going down. At its peak in China, the average person was transmitting it an average of 3-4 people, which is now down to less than 1 person. They did this by testing thousands of people a day and through really intense social distancing.

We probably have to do the same if we want similar results.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FanboyOf91 said:

Non-Western country sending free aid to Western country.

I can't wait until they offer to do the same for the US.

govt run healthcare coming up short in Italy, hope the other Europeans fair better

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, No Excuses said:

This virus spreads a bit different than the flu where it seems to be spreading primarily in local clusters of people in very close contact. If we are catching people fast enough, like they are in China and South Korea, then the case #s will start going down. At its peak in China, the average person was transmitting it an average of 3-4 people, which is now down to less than 1 person. They did this by testing thousands of people a day and through really intense social distancing.

We probably have to do the same if we want similar results.

So if we are aggressive in the next 2-3 weeks then we would be mostly back to normal toward the end of April?

Just now, Corcaigh said:

So if we are aggressive in the next 2-3 weeks then we would be mostly back to normal toward the end of April?

Our best case scenario is that the peak is in 2-3 weeks. This is the South Korea-Japan scenario, but that is not what we are on track for. Right now, we really don't know what it will look like 2-3 weeks from now but we are trending closer to Italy, which is currently in lockdown without much information on what comes next there.

3 hours ago, kfrankie said:

So there's no cure for covid-19, but how are the symptoms treated?  I assume you are not simply told to go home, quarantine, and take Tylenol cold & flu tablets with mucinex?

They dont do a great job of explaining that. I guess act like it's the flu and lock yourself in a room for a couple weeks.  

The biggest unknown with the US right now is that we aren't aggressive with testing, too many people have poor access to healthcare services, we have a large undocumented population that might stay in the shadows, we have no federally mandated paid sick leave and that we are unhealthier than every other developed nation.

I know we are looking at Italy as the worst case, but Italy has better social conditions than us and is still struggling. The pre-existing social warts in this country are unfortunately going to be badly exposed if we don't do something drastic soon.

The best thing we are doing right now is social distancing. Schools, businesses etc need to tell people to stay home for the next month at the minimum if we want to minimize this thing.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, justice98 said:

They dont do a great job of explaining that. I guess act like it's the flu and lock yourself in a room for a couple weeks.  

Yeah, it is rather lacking in public announcements

fwih it is self isolation if you think you have been exposed ,if tested positive and minor symptoms it is isolation and monitoring.

severe symptoms is isolation in a icu or equivalent.

haven't heard if they were giving antiviral meds for simply testing positive

6 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

just found out that classes at local universities will now be online and no students at school for GTown, MD, and American. Others colleges and universities to follow.

Have you seen any links to this?

I wonder how much people will realize once things return to normal that a lot of core activities can be done online, far far cheaper without any loss of quality and probably more efficiency. Hoping that some social changes that are right now for distancing purposes can be repurposed just as better business practices.

• Like 4

I love my four kids, but a two week stay-cation for schooling could be miserable.  What's more, we might be able to get 4 of them hooked up to different electronics for schooling, but maintaining the spacing they will need and our sanity for weeks...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I would expect that is the case, but I haven not seen any data where the smoking history is included as a variable.  

As a followup, I'm wondering if air pollution is playing a role.  Would explain why its not as serious in young children - they haven't been exposed as long.

5 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

As a followup, I'm wondering if air pollution is playing a role.  Would explain why its not as serious in young children - they haven't been exposed as long.

probably does,  anything that weakens the respiratory or immune system fwih

the main thing in children is they have healthier immune systems in general, as do females

the onset of severe complications is extremely fast in those it manifests in

3 minutes ago, twa said:

probably does,  anything that weakens the respiratory or immune system fwih

the main thing in children is they have healthier immune systems in general, as do females

the onset of severe complications is extremely fast in those it manifests in

Young children do not have healthier immune systems,  it’s quite the opposite actually.  This is why they are more susceptible to the flu.  But Covid 19 seems to be a huge exception

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Young children do not have healthier immune systems,  it’s quite the opposite actually.  This is why they are more susceptible to the flu.  But Covid 19 seems to be a huge exception

They have less developed resistance to certain disease ,which is different than healthier.....Covid 19 uses your immune response against you