Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Amazon and Gates Foundation may team up to deliver coronavirus test kits to Seattle homes

Amazon Care, the company’s virtual medical clinic for employees, is in talks with local public health organizations about using its logistics expertise to help deliver at-home coronavirus testing kits to people’s homes in the Seattle area. 

The discussions have been going on for more than a week, say three people with knowledge of the plans. The people declined to share their names because Amazon Care’s involvement is still confidential, and they have not been authorized to do so. 

Specifically, Amazon Care has offered the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation its assistance with a project that aims to provide kits to Seattle residents who suspect they have symptoms of the COVID-19 coronavirus. The test kits include nose swabs that can be mailed to the University of Washington for analysis.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

Having a bit of time to prepare doesn't allow us to double the number of ventilators or O2 masks or hospital beds.  It does allow us to do the types of social distancing and limitation of contact that might blunt the curve and allow it to stay within our capacity.  This is happening, to a degree, but I'm worried if that it may be too little too late.  Too early to say.   Fingers crossed.

If only we had started this on day 1, instead of weeks later, we really could have made a much bigger difference.  

I’m hoping we have enough vents and other equipment. As in other states, we stockpiled a number of vents and other equipment here. The reason I worry about having enough vents isn’t the absolute number of them stockpiled, but the quality of them. At the time I worked in the field, there were a couple of different types of mass care vents. One IMO was total garbage. It would push air in and out, but the modes of ventilation were woefully inadequate for patients as sick as you’d expect during a pandemic. The other type was a lot better, but more expensive so it was a question of quantity vs. quality. I recommended we purchase the better vent and fortunately, our state public health folks listened. However, there were already a LOT of the crappy ones already sitting on the shelves, in my state and across the country. I’ve been sort of away from that line of work for a while so things may have changed a bit. However, given the funding cuts that started even before Tя☭mp showed up and have continued since, the change may have been for the worse.

55 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Maybe 20 percent listen to him. 20 percent laugh, and 60 percent absolutely hate him.

How so you think this would have turned out if the CDC funding wasn’t cut? Did Italy and China also cut CDC funding?

I’m part of the last two groups of people. They’re not mutually exclusive. j/s

8 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think, when you compare our outcome to the outcome in other countries, then it’s not an impossible question to answer. It doesn’t seem to have made much difference.  Of course, it’s early and we will have to see how it plays out before drawing a conclusion.

I think much of what we’re talking about is what to expect down the line. What Tя☭mp did by disbanding the office assigned to manage pandemics and emerging disease threats and then allowing Pence to run it is counter to one of the most basic tenets of emergency management, i.e. a subject matter expert in whatever the incident is, is always in charge. When politicians run things like this, it rarely if ever ends well. So, if those countries did what we did in that regard, it would be an apples to apples comparison. In our case, we’re already starting off as a KKKeystone Kops operation. Maybe we get lucky, maybe we don’t. Unless something changes, my money is solidly on it not going well.

If you haven’t watched the Chernobyl mini-series on HBO, you should. The similarity of the lies, propaganda, and the overall workings of the Tя☭mp administration to the M.O. of the Soviets in managing that crisis was truly eerie.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

This embarrassing administration has finally run into a problem you can't lie your way out of. There's no CNN to blame here. The President is a giant toddler, the emperor has no clothes. 

i have seen PLENTY of facebook posts blaming CNN and the NYtimes for this.   Donald ****ing Trump HIMSELF called coverage of this the "Corona Hoax".

The Steaming-Turd in Chief.

• Like 1

Notes from LoCo live briefing ... doctor says insufficient testing ability (if we tested everyone with possible symptoms they would be out of tests in 30 minutes) ; insufficient protective equipment ... and it hasn't really started here.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think it's been well established now that he most certainly can lie himself out of anything. It has worked every. Single. Time. 

He enjoys the credibility of a cult leader.  Seriously, we all watched a pandemic slowly unfold over weeks.  Trump himself said that it was serious enough to limit flights.  And all it took was one statement by Trump calling this no big deal, and suddenly they’re all certain the whole thing is a hoax.  Everyone of his faithful just ignored what they knew and believed the previous few weeks and replaced it with this new truth.  

Other than Trump, only a cult leader can turn people against their own reason so quickly.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

He enjoys the credibility of a cult leader.  Seriously, we all watched a pandemic slowly unfold over weeks.  Trump himself said that it was serious enough to limit flights.  And all it took was one statement by Trump calling this no big deal, and suddenly they’re all certain the whole thing is a hoax.  Everyone of his faithful just ignored what they knew and believed the previous few weeks and replaced it with this new truth.  

Other than Trump, only a cult leader can turn people against their own reason so quickly.  

Really makes you wonder about all those freaky ass Cold War experiments (even though cult mentality is as old as humanity itself). 

This (especially right now) has always felt a little extra. Good, reasonable, intelligent people I knew once, have been mentally reduced to covfefe pudding.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

7 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll also add, disinfect your credit cards too, after other people handle them. Think twice about places you never even thought about, like barber shops/salons. Any place where people are actively touching you or something you own.

I know we like to think that they are being sanitary just as much as we are, but my own past experiences (and I'm sure many here as well) prove that not to be true, many times.

Very well said...Not to mention, cell phones are some of the nastiest things on Earth. 🤮 If you really think about where you leave em laying around, it'll freak you out. CLEAN THEM EVERY DAY, both inside & outside cases. Clean your earbuds & headphones. 

If you wear glasses, clean them all day. 

Apparently, no one on my side of Atlanta cares about community, parties of 6, 8, 12 just walking in (without calling first, big no-no in the biz). Sharing baskets of garlic rolls. My own job is grossing me out more than usual. 

• Sad 3

People are going to need more than a payroll tax relief. They're going to need paid time off and medical care. I see Italy is invoking pretty draconian triage measures. Only those deemed viable to survive are getting treatment, those like older people with compromised health are being made comfortable.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump is hoping like hell that Democrats are afflicted because of population centers etc. We won't get any truth about policies like Italy's here.