Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

We are self quarantining in my family for the next two weeks. More likely than not, we will see the peak of the epidemic in this timeframe. The more you can distance yourself, the better your chances are to not be caught in the initial wave of patients that will end up in healthcare facilities. This is the most dangerous time. Once the peak flattens, even if you get sick, you likely won’t be in situation where medical supplies are low and healthcare workers are overburdened. Our best hope is that the peak flattens within the next month. All form of social distancing to your best capacity in this timeframe is the best thing you can do right now.

• Like 6

I was wondering in trepidation what would happen if it got bad enough in the US, could we have a medical draft of nurses and doctors or anyone who has ever been certified to man improvised sick buildings? I would hate it as the thought of my wife being drafted and leaving me with 4 kids is terrifying.

Seriously, how bad would it have to get here before we started entertaining such out of tbe box approaches?  Is tbe reason tbis seems so far fetched because we can intuitively understand the need to band together to fight a human threat but not a biological one?

Snorting cocaine won’t protect you against coronavirus, officials warn

Despite what some may think, taking cocaine in any form will not reduce your chances of catching coronavirus. French health officials issued the stark warning that using the Class A drug is not a way of stopping the spread of the virus in a Twitter post on Sunday.

‘No, cocaine does not protect against COVID-19,’ said the country’s Ministry of Solidarity and Health. ‘It’s an addictive drug that causes serious adverse and harmful effects.’ The post included a link to the government’s coronavirus information page, which also shares guidance to debunk other myths.

It came after a series of memes and bizarre conspiracy theories began circulating online, with some showing fake news headlines claiming cocaine can kill Covid-19.

Click on the link for the full article

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Trump hasn't done **** except to declare himself healthy. 

He doesn't give a **** about We the People.

He’s done a great deal more than that.  He said this was less than the flu and the coverage a hoax.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Italy is going the worst job, Japan is probably doing the best.  The US is somewhere in the middle. Maybe too early to say how the US is doing. 

Trump says crazy things, and people mistake what he says for US policy. So it makes it seem like we are doing a terrible job. 

Actually...Vietnam probably did the best. They closed their borders to China almost immediately. Their issue now is the Europeans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gbear said:

I was wondering in trepidation what would happen if it got bad enough in the US, could we have a medical draft of nurses and doctors or anyone who has ever been certified to man improvised sick buildings? I would hate it as the thought of my wife being drafted and leaving me with 4 kids is terrifying.

Seriously, how bad would it have to get here before we started entertaining such out of tbe box approaches?  Is tbe reason tbis seems so far fetched because we can intuitively understand the need to band together to fight a human threat but not a biological one?

Much of the research I’ve read says that health workers would show up for all sorts of disasters, but infectious disease or bio terrorism not so much. It might be harder to do what you describe than you might think. There’d be all kinds of exceptions claimed for everything from religious reasons to family hardship or even bone spurs. 

33 minutes ago, visionary said:

The drive through testing is surreal to me right now. I’ve planned and run several exercises to test this capability and seeing it going down in real life is just crazy.

As for the second tweet about our lord and savior Tя☭mp and his angel Pence posing with someone that might be sick, well, all I can say is 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm starting to feel like closing schools is the right move. Not an easy decision to make though.

Depends on how comfortable you are with runny nosed kids being at every single workplace in America.  People forget that part.  Those kids have to be somewhere with an adult.  Our economy and culture basically made stay at home parents an endangered species.  If schools are closed extensively, those kids will be going to work with mom or dad... or that family won’t be able to pay the bills.

• Like 1

So a thought here.  if a large number of people avoid infection by quarantining during this "wave" of the virus, are they setting themselves up to be infected by a subsequent more infectious/serious form of the virus that has itself "survived" being snuffed out?