Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Yeah. A currently under appreciated aspect of this is how bad our healthcare system is going to be whenever this is over. 

a lot of good people have left a lot of important positions. And they’re not coming back. 

and yeah the idea that someone would go to the hospital to visit their dying family member and refuse to wear a mask… it’s happening a lot. and it’s a difficult issue to tackle. You have compassionate people trying to do their best. There are arguments over what to do. Saying no sounds easy but it’s way more complicated than that. 

“I don’t want to do this anymore”

”it’s been two years, these people aren’t even trying, I’m tired of every day of my life sucking”

Some common thoughts I overhear from healthcare workers. 

We need these people to go away. They are destroying everything. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Best thing to come out of this wave in the cancelation of my holiday xmas party. I HATE COMPANY PARTIES. Forced to see all the people I have the misery of working with every damn day drinking expired beers. Welcome to Holiday parties thrown by catering companies. I've never had a fresh beer. 

They throwing the wrong parties! They let me put on a few of them at my last company and it was a must to have a full bar. 

Now....this lead to some not so holiday cheery events lol. But it was worth it. Ill never forget the day one of the young men working there at the time finally cracked slick to the ex marine (a few shots in) outside of the office. Never seen a guy hit the floor so hard. After that the rule was no shots. But it was worth it. 

47 minutes ago, Llevron said:

They throwing the wrong parties! They let me put on a few of them at my last company and it was a must to have a full bar. 

Now....this lead to some not so holiday cheery events lol. But it was worth it. Ill never forget the day one of the young men working there at the time finally cracked slick to the ex marine (a few shots in) outside of the office. Never seen a guy hit the floor so hard. After that the rule was no shots. But it was worth it. 

They told us no shots one year. So everyone just ordered whiskey neat. That got out of hand real quick.

• Haha 2

Omicron overpowers key COVID antibody treatments in early tests

Strained hospitals bracing for a COVID-19 surge caused by the quickly spreading Omicron variant could face another grim possibility: preliminary experiments suggest that most of the antibody treatments for the disease are powerless against Omicron1,2,3,4.

Doctors use artificial versions of natural antibodies to stave off severe COVID-19 in high-risk people who are infected with the coronavirus. But a slew of publications posted on preprint servers report laboratory evidence that Omicron is totally or partially resistant to all currently available treatments based on these monoclonal antibodies. The publications have not yet been peer reviewed, but some of the companies that manufacture antibody therapies already concede that their products have lower potency against Omicron than against other variants.

The preprints report that only two antibodies show strong evidence of retaining some ability to thwart the variant: sotrovimab, developed by Vir Biotechnology in San Francisco, California, and GSK, headquartered in London; and DXP-604, which is undergoing clinical trials in China and was developed by BeiGene and Singlomics, both based in Beijing.

Click on the link for the full article

3uHVWbb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

AHEFXg5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I dunno guys, this are looking pretty desperate in Fairfax County right now as far as I’m concerned. I’ve had 2 exposures in the last month that I’m aware of. I feel like people all around me are falling I’ll to non-Covid illnesses left and right. It’s like I’m dodging land mines.

I guess the only solace thus far, is that hospitalizations and deaths haven’t spiked yet although those are typically lagging numbers. We will see how we look in a couple weeks time.

I suspect the majority of new infections are asymptomatic or minor symptoms.

That's not me being flip, I think we are still mired in a full blown pandemic but I've known 2 this week to test positive (that had their boosters) and have only a minor cough. 

That said, maybe the #s are different and that's truly representative of the ones who are having major symptoms (vaxxed or not)?

Edited by The Evil Genius

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

3uHVWbb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

AHEFXg5_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

I dunno guys, this are looking pretty desperate in Fairfax County right now as far as I’m concerned. I’ve had 2 exposures in the last month that I’m aware of. I feel like people all around me are falling I’ll to non-Covid illnesses left and right. It’s like I’m dodging land mines.

I guess the only solace thus far, is that hospitalizations and deaths haven’t spiked yet although those are typically lagging numbers. We will see how we look in a couple weeks time.

It’s kind of wild to me that FFX just crossed over 100k infections which is about 1/11 residents when the country is over 50M, so maybe 1/6 or 1/7.

38 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I feel like people all around me are falling I’ll to non-Covid illnesses left and right. It’s like I’m dodging land mines.

I've noticed the same thing.  A lot of people who I know who've been hit since the omicron have next to no symptoms.  2 asymptomatic.  For a small-ish circle, it's a good portion.

I've also had 2 colds, 2 kids have had 4 each.  Wife got one of the colds.  (all negative tests).

Personally I'm so ready for this to become an endemic, and hopefully 2022 brings that.  give me my flu shot, covid shot, and if I get either - it's asymptomatic or the sniffles! 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect the majority of new infections are asymptomatic or minor symptoms.

I don’t know if the cdc has come off the “we’re still investigating” caveat to all their data, but as far as I’m aware the data on omicron suggested that while it’s more contagious, symptoms are mild. So, this would make sense. 

we’re seeing the same thing in sports. Where, say in the nba, 1 player pops positive so they test the whole team and find 2-5 more people that have it and we’re just completely asymptomatic. 

The other unfortunate aspect of this is that us vaccinated are becoming super spreaders - With a little assurance of going back to normal, a variant that’s more contagious but milder symptoms, and a vaccine that doesn’t prevent you from getting it but will significantly reduce symptoms… we’ve got, I would assume, more asymptomatic people than ever during a peak. 

plus it seems clear many people may have curtailed their holiday get together a last year, they are not willing to do it for a second year. 

and the antivax people complained about this super spreader effect for vaccinated people. Of course, it only works out that way because a significant portion of our country won’t get vaccinated. So, it’s kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. Of course they see it as an accurate prediction. And won’t give any thought to the idea that the same people that won’t wear masks…

I still feel like the media has over hyped this. Everything that’s happening seems to be following early determinations about omicron which they didn’t really give any coverage too and just went “omg omicron!”

2 hours ago, superozman said:

I've noticed the same thing.  A lot of people who I know who've been hit since the omicron have next to no symptoms.  2 asymptomatic.  For a small-ish circle, it's a good portion.

I've also had 2 colds, 2 kids have had 4 each.  Wife got one of the colds.  (all negative tests).

Personally I'm so ready for this to become an endemic, and hopefully 2022 brings that.  give me my flu shot, covid shot, and if I get either - it's asymptomatic or the sniffles! 

i developed a sinus infection Thursday and got tested the same day. Tested positive. Sinus infection was completely gone by Saturday after noon. Feeling 100% but still quarantined. 

I don’t know if it was omicron but symptoms were mild at worst. 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
Typos
  • Thumb up 1