Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

All I see if people talking about covid numbers and the omicron %. So, sorry if this has already been covered but… this peak is worse. Why? Because the other peaks hospitals had an advantage because people were scared of hospitals; because elective procedures were suspended

but now hospitals are back to fully operational. And every leader/politicians favorite line right now seems to be “we aren’t shutting down this time.” It’s a capacity problem not yet seen around here during the pandemic. 

not to mention healthcare workers are not any less susceptible to letting the guard down lately and staff quarantining is going to be worse than ever 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Is it worse for everyone or people not vaccinated.

The healthcare crisis is worse for everyone. A car accident, heart attack, stroke, anything that could require critical care - now means few if any resources available. It’s bad long term too because people are leaving the field of critical care, and people are not joining it. I’m sure some areas aren’t as bad but it is a National issue, generally speaking. 

the cdc data, as far as I’m aware, says omicron is more mild than OG and delta. It’s just more contagious. And when I saw that data they were clear they had not differentiated between vaccinated and not at that point.  “Mild” was the term to generally describe what was being documented. 

🤷‍♂️ 

U.S. Authorizes Pfizer Oral COVID-19 Treatment, First for At-Home Use

The United States on Wednesday authorized Pfizer Inc's antiviral COVID-19 pill for people ages 12 and older at risk of severe illness, the first oral and at-home treatment as well as a new tool against the fast-spreading Omicron variant.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

The healthcare crisis is worse for everyone. A car accident, heart attack, stroke, anything that could require critical care - now means few if any resources available. It’s bad long term too because people are leaving the field of critical care, and people are not joining it. I’m sure some areas aren’t as bad but it is a National issue, generally speaking. 

I am happy my father was able to get his surgery with no repercussions from the Covid induced healthcare crisis.

I think there are also many people, like me, who are delaying treatment or not seeking treatment of certain ailments because they have no interest in going to a hospital short on staff and full of Covid patients.

COVID-19 Continues to Cause Some People to Put Off Care

Even though vaccines to protect against disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 have been available for many people in the United States since December, concerns about the ongoing pandemic continue to cause adults and children to either delay or miss out on much-needed care.  

That’s the main finding from a pair of reports recently issued by the Urban Institute and funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, and based on data from the institute’s April 2021 Health Reform Monitoring Survey. The reports found that as recently as this spring, more than one in 10 adults chose to delay or not seek at least one type of care in the previous 30 days due to concerns about coronavirus exposure, and nearly the same percentage of parents delayed or forwent care for their children for the same reason.

• Sad 1

The media has induced this current form of healthcare crisis. ED’s are being flooded over a variate that’s 80% less likely to cause hospitalization and 30% less likely to cause death if hospitalized. Because people have been scared by the media doing a bad job. 

• Like 1

Merck pill approved as 2nd easy-to-use drug against COVID-19

U.S. health regulators on Thursday authorized the second pill against COVID-19, providing another easy-to-use medication to battle the rising tide of omicron infections.

The Food and Drug Administration authorization of Merck’s molnupiravir comes one day after the agency cleared a competing drug from Pfizer. That pill, Paxlovid, is likely to become the first-choice treatment against the virus, thanks to its superior benefits and milder side effects.

As a result, Merck’s pill is expected to have a smaller role against the pandemic than predicted just a few weeks ago. Its ability to head off severe COVID-19 is much smaller than initially announced and the drug label will warn of serious safety issues, including the potential for birth defects.

People are flooding to the ER because their throat hurts or they have the sniffles or a fever. 

stay home people. Go to the hospital if you need hospitalization - not because your throat hurts and you were at a party over the weekend and want to get tested. 

such a terrible, awful job of our media and political leaders disseminating information. They just scared everyone into compounding the problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

People are flooding to the ER because their throat hurts or they have the sniffles or a fever. 

stay home people. Go to the hospital if you need hospitalization - not because your throat hurts and you were at a party over the weekend and want to get tested. 

such a terrible, awful job of our media and political leaders disseminating information. They just scared everyone into compounding the problem. 

Sorry, but that's not solely the media's fault.  What kind of moron goes to the ER for a sore throat?  People need to have some common sense and take responsibility for doing stupid ****.  They shouldn't need to be told by the media whether or not to go to the hospital.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, China said:

Sorry, but that's not solely the media's fault.  What kind of moron goes to the ER for a sore throat?  People need to have some common sense and take responsibility for doing stupid ****.  They shouldn't need to be told by the media whether or not to go to the hospital.

They’re scared because of the media. 

going to the hospital… idk it’s a thing for a lot of people in more urban areas. I imagine it’s a result of the cost of healthcare. ACA sought to curb the drain this cost was on the system by getting people to see primary care physiscians more often. A) it’s cheaper, B ) you should be seeing them earlier than you would if you waited to go to the ER. So this was a projected cost savings in the ACA math. 

as far as im aware, according to data, the ACA did not successful make this change happen (whoever you want to blame it on) and that projected cost savings is currently nonexistent. 

but the media and political leaders have done a terrible job and they’ve scared people. So people are flooding to the hospitals. 

adding to it - testing centers are very busy right now too so I imagine some people are going to the ER thinking it’ll be quicker. 

but going to ER for things you should see a primary care physician for is a huge, known thing. 

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

but going to ER for things you should see a primary care physician for is a huge, known thing. 

And has nothing to do with the media, and everything to do with stupid people, which coincidentally is the reason this pandemic won't end...all the stupid people that won't wear masks and get vaxxed.

I blame our education system, not the media.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Again - the media is scaring them with infection numbers and vaccine resistance and not telling people this is WAY more mild than delta. 

and yeah I don’t see anyone running point on the “hey let’s not flood the hospitals” thing. 

while the politicians and media are screaming get tested before you see family this weekend, hospitals are falling apart. 

im sorry you’re not seeing this side of things. But I am. With hourly updates. 

maybe if the media ****ing covered it appropriately you’d see this side of it too. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

Anecdotally, I will say this.  You know by all the articles I post that I'm fully aware of all the fearmongering articles in the media.  I have a cold.  I have not rushed to the doctor or ER despite all the media blitz about Omicron.  Why, because I'm educated and capable of critical thinking. 

If the rest of the populous was equally educated and capable of critical thought they wouldn't run to the hospital at the drop of a hat.

As a short-term solution to address all these idiots you are right, it would be helpful if the media put information out in a way that would keep them from panicking.  But as a long-term solution we need to fix our education system.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

@China

agreed. And I’m sorry. I’m just beyond pissed. My family’s Christmas is being ruined. My wife will be working all weekend. Despite starting vacation today. We’re supposed to go somewhere next week for a much needed get away. And I think I’m about to lose 2500-3000$ in flights and other reservations cause I don’t think she will be able to leave the area. 

i mean I think technically she can. But mentally she’s not capable of leaving while her people are in crisis mode. It’s not an option to her.

Im so ****ing tired of the nonsense. Im tired of it. Im tired of my family getting the **** end of the stick because people won’t get vaccinated, won’t wear masks, won’t social distance, try to fight masks in schools, and now are flooding the god damned hospitals over a mild variant because they have a ****ing cough. 

probably should just leave it alone and go cut some grass or dig a hole in the yard or cut down some trees. 

• Sad 4

Joe Friggin Biden addressed the nation the other day and said that if you're vaxxed, you should be fine. I'm pretty sure that address was covered by the media.

I had this same argument with someone last night who just wants to wholesale blame the media for everything. Just stop. Blame stupid people instead.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I know that you can’t find a Covid test in my area no matter how hard you try. You can’t find at home tests, you can’t find drive thru tests. Nothing.

People are probably scared and going to their last option.

We wasted our last at home test on our 7 year old yesterday because his grandparents were coming to take care of him yesterday and he vomited two nights ago and had a 101 degree fever. My dad goes, yeah he probably has Covid. ****ing annoying.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2