Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

7 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

OT, I didn't know who that was before the scandal broke, Paterno fell harder, imo.

I just remember people saying what a great person he was, because he ran an orphanage for children, turned out that was only a cover up for him to get in contact with children ,but yea I agree that Paterno reputation was destroyed because of it

• Like 1

They told ole Trumpy that reports of people ingesting disinfectant spiked after his last press conference and his response was “I couldn’t imagine why” and then when asked if he felt any responsibility he said “No not at all” or something close. 

he ended that line of questioning quick too. ****ed up dude 

3 hours ago, JCB said:

I'm as in the dark as to what's reasonable as anyone else. But one thing that I've been communicating to my students (luckily my family and friends are all very rational) is that framing this as fundamentally having to do with "freedom" is a complete misconstrual of the situation. This is about collective responsibility and the greater good. My ES peeps know this, of course, but I've found this to be an effective form of messaging for the young and the restless.

I know I tend to lean a little more Right here than most but I think saying this doesn’t have to do with freedom is wrong.  This is absolutely a restriction of freedom.  You can debate if the restriction of freedom was warranted and to what level.  But freedom is being restricted.  

I don’t bring it up much here because I know how this board leans and I’m not sure people here could have a conversation about it without just resorting to “you’re wrong”.  But I’m reminded of the saying “freedom isn’t free” or “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  

So willingly giving up our freedoms as we have is scary.  And it should concern others as well.  What standard have we set?  Also, who has the power to shut things down, etc?  Seems like everyone is saying they have the power but others don’t.  Governors saying they can override local restrictions, Trump saying he can but leaving it up to the local government, etc.   Maybe I’m just paranoid but I don’t trust really any level of government telling when I can and can’t move.  The only reason I’m not protesting now is because I think everyone should be staying home.  Just don’t like being forced to.  And I’m not sure it is right to set that standard.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

In the worldwide race for a vaccine to stop the coronavirus, the laboratory sprinting fastest is at Oxford University.

Most other teams have had to start with small clinical trials of a few hundred participants to demonstrate safety. But scientists at the university’s Jenner Institute had a head start on a vaccine, having proved in previous trials that similar inoculations — including one last year against an earlier coronavirus — were harmless to humans.

That has enabled them to leap ahead and schedule tests of their new coronavirus vaccine involving more than 6,000 people by the end of next month, hoping to show not only that it is safe, but also that it works.

The Oxford scientists now say that with an emergency approval from regulators, the first few million doses of their vaccine could be available by September — at least several months ahead of any of the other announced efforts — if it proves to be effective.

Now, they have received promising news suggesting that it might.

Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test.

“The rhesus macaque is pretty much the closest thing we have to humans,” Dr. Munster said, noting that scientists were still analyzing the result. He said he expected to share it with other scientists next week and then submit it to a peer-reviewed journal.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/04/27/covid-19-death-toll-undercounted/?arc404=

In the early weeks of the coronavirus epidemic, the United States recorded an estimated 15,400 excess deaths, nearly two times as many as were publicly attributed to covid-19 at the time, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

The excess deaths — the number beyond what would normally be expected for that time of year — occurred during March and through April 4, a time when 8,128 coronavirus deaths were reported.

The excess deaths are not necessarily attributable directly to covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. They could include people who died because of the epidemic but not from the disease, such as those who were afraid to seek medical treatment for unrelated illnesses, as well as some number of deaths that are part of the ordinary variation in the death rate. The count is also affected by increases or decreases in other categories of deaths, such as suicides, homicides and motor vehicle accidents.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Maybe I’m just paranoid but I don’t trust really any level of government telling when I can and can’t move.  The only reason I’m not protesting now is because I think everyone should be staying home.  Just don’t like being forced to.  And I’m not sure it is right to set that standard.

The thing is, this is not new.  It’s just new to the last few generations. Up through 1950 quarantines were a part of life. They would close towns and detour around them for a polio outbreak. Same with measles and mumps. We have become spoiled with modern medicine and throw tantrums when logical limiting of movement is medically prudent. So nothing new here at all. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I don’t bring it up much here because I know how this board leans and I’m not sure people here could have a conversation about it without just resorting to “you’re wrong”.  But I’m reminded of the saying “freedom isn’t free” or “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  

I think you bolded the wrong word. What is essential liberty? I don’t think this is the right thread to discuss that. 

what essential liberties are given up? 

Edited by Dr. Do Itch Big
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I think you bolded the wrong word. What is essential freedom? I don’t think this is the right thread to discuss that. 

what essential freedoms are given up? 

The bold part is just where I copied from when I googled it because I didn’t want to get the words wrong.  Wasn’t meant as an emphasis from me.

As far as what essential freedom, I’d start with liberty.

But you are probably right that this isn’t the best thread.

Worldometer reset for the day.

Outside of yesterday, the lowest death total since March 30th worldwide. New cases were actually LOWER worldwide than yesterday, a Sunday. Also the lowest total of new cases since March 30th.

US had its lowest number of new cases since March 30th, which goes to show how much our numbers are impacting the worldwide totals. Death totals were a little higher today but still the lowest since April 3rd if you exclude yesterday.

But here is the really good news: active cases only went up by about 1,600 today because we had so many recoveries. That's awesome. The countries that are actually healing have a downward slope in active cases and today was a big first step to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Virginia’s numbers seem to be at a plateau.

Im cautiously optimistic.

Virginia also has a low testing rate (912 per 100,000 people vs almost 2,500 per 100,000 for WV or 1,500 per 100,000 for Maryland).  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, China said:

Virginia also has a low testing rate (912 per 100,000 people vs almost 2,500 per 100,000 for WV or 1,500 per 100,000 for Maryland).  

Yeah they need to get rolling if the economy is going to open safely. 

Our case numbers in California are static but we've leapt up in testing numbers this past week. We were like 46th and now we're around 29 or 30. So that, coupled with the static case and death totals have me feeling better about where we're at. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, visionary said:

We're going to hit 60,000 by the end of this week I'm guessing...so that's 60k dead people just through April. Does Trump think covid-19 is going to simply go "well, I think my job here is done" and retire after April? 

• Like 1