Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Yes.

Source?  I am 99% sure this is FALSE.  There is a halt on majority of OCONUS travel.  Domestic travel is at commanders discretion with a strong recommendation to err on the side of caution.  Not trying to sound like I am some know it all but I’m supposed to be coordinating announcements like this for my command and I haven’t heard this.

100% true. I’m active duty military with leave approved for next week that can no longer happen. 

https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Releases/Release/Article/2112213/statement-by-the-department-of-defense-on-domestic-travel-restrictions/

Edited by BigDibbs31

6 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Well. My 4 year old came up to our room a bit ago. Shallow breathing, a pretty bad cough, fever of around 102, chills, headache. Would sure be nice if we could get him tested so we know how long to stay away from our parents/grandparents. 

You may be able to get a test if they rule out everything else.  It's in short supply, but not completely unavailable.  Call your pediatrician to explain the situation. At minimum, they'll run the flu test.  

Also, remember that even if it's covid, it tends to be fairly mild in kids.  Good hygiene by rest of the family is important too.  Poor thing.  Hope he feels better soon and everyone else stays healthy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tshile said:

@bcl05 @bearrock @No Excuses @PeterMP

any if you know of places sharing information from physicians in the bigger areas about what’s going on and specifically decisions they had to make? Would you pm any you can share?

been looking into a few places but keep stumbling into intranets where I need logins to access documents :(

Trying to find resources. The cdc is dropping the ball big time. 

I don't really know - I'm getting a lot of my info from internal communications at my hospital (Mayo Clinic).   I've also heard awful things from a friend in Seattle.  I'm not sure how much I can/should share, but our hospital is prepping for really extreme disruptions.  Our hospital has cancelled any in-person meetings of 10+people, cancelled all travel, and instructed everyone to be available for anything through April.  Our ops manager came through our department yesterday and asked what I (and the rest of the MDs) could offer in an emergent situation.  I haven't practiced any field other than my own niche subspecialty (which is not really relevant to C19) in the last 15 years.  We have ~2500 docs in a city of 100k, and I may get called in to help?  They are expecting things to get pretty dire.  Also getting emails about critical shortages of personal protective gear.  I can only imagine what things are like at small, less-resourced community hospitals.  

I think this could get pretty awful, but I've got some hope that the distancing/closures/cancellations that are happening (despite the pathetic lack of leadership from federal gov't) may have a real impact.  

One of the big casualties of this in my mind is the CDC.  Prior to this episode I really held the CDC in the highest regard.  Earlier this winter, I believed they would meet the challenge, provide adequate testing, and lead in the response.  I was dismissive of the idea that individual hospitals would develop their own test, mainly because I didn't think its was necessary.  I trusted the CDC.  I was wrong.  They have failed us.  My own hospital (led by friends of mine) has developed its own independent test for C19.  

I don't think I was wrong about the CDC previously.  They were excellent, competent, and responsive.  I assume the failure is just the latest example of the intentional erosion of federal government competence courtesy of the GOP/Trump.  Pathetic and destructive.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

23 minutes ago, bearrock said:

You may be able to get a test if they rule out everything else.  It's in short supply, but not completely unavailable.  Call your pediatrician to explain the situation. At minimum, they'll run the flu test.  

Also, remember that even if it's covid, it tends to be fairly mild in kids.  Good hygiene by rest of the family is important too.  Poor thing.  Hope he feels better soon and everyone else stays healthy.

He woke up this morning with no fever and a ton of energy. Currently running around terrorizing his siblings.

I’m guessing given the short duration it wasn’t covid, but then again symptoms are known to be very mild with kids. I guess we’ll wait and see if anyone else gets sick this weekend. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Read more and post less is my advice. 

There is zero evidence that universal health care has a positive outcome on this viral outbreak.  Bluster won’t change that.  Basic income is irrelevant to the outbreak.  

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

5 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

There is zero evidence that universal health care has a positive outcome on this viral outbreak.

Far as I'm aware, there is exactly one place where the number of infections has gone down.  Guess which kind of health care they have there?  

(Now, granted, that's not conclusive proof.  And, just to make up a fictional argument, I don't think I'd buy a claim that since that one place is a dictatorship, therefore we should be, too.  But just pointing out some facts.)  

• Like 1

Italy and UK are closer structurally than China is... I’m sure if you locked people inside and told them they couldn’t come out for any reason, infections would go down. Universal Healthcare or not.  We will have to see what happens in south korea. I wouldn’t point to Covid as an example where universal healthcare results in better outcomes, though.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tshile said:

@bcl05 @bearrock @No Excuses @PeterMP

any if you know of places sharing information from physicians in the bigger areas about what’s going on and specifically decisions they had to make? Would you pm any you can share?

been looking into a few places but keep stumbling into intranets where I need logins to access documents :(

Trying to find resources. The cdc is dropping the ball big time. 

I don’t know of any centralized repositories for this. Most accounts so far seem to be shared through social media. We should start to see some journal publications soon from Europe and eventually doctors in the US. I will post any that are interesting or if you see something but it’s behind a paywall, I can probably access it and share so just post the link.

• Thanks 1

A caution on elderberry... it is known to increase your body’s production of cytokine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11399518/

Cytokine storm immune system responses are a major cause of the most severe cases of covid with symptoms including multiple organ failure... your body essentially destroys itself. https://www.vox.com/2020/3/12/21176783/coronavirus-covid-19-deaths-china-treatment-cytokine-storm-syndrome

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

By the way, the mortality rate in South Korea is .7% at the moment, which matches the mortality rate in China when they got their healthcare facilities to scale up. 

The high mortality rate we see right now in other parts of the world is likely indicative of inadequate testing and overburdened healthcare systems. 

Keeping fingers crossed that social distancing blunts our peak and keeps hospitals afloat.

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

By the way, the mortality rate in South Korea is .7% at the moment, which matches the mortality rate in China when they got their healthcare facilities to scale up. 

Wondering if our hospital facilities have scaled up.  

One advantage that we might have, is that the upper management of our healthcare system (as opposed to our political leaders), have had a couple month's notice.  And I certainly hope, have been working diligently on preparation.  (And not just on buying all the toilet paper.)  

I assume that the people who actually know about this kind of stuff, have had a month or more to get ready.  

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Keeping fingers crossed that social distancing blunts our peak and keeps hospitals afloat.

Yeah, it would seriously be a big help if that was all it took, to at least blunt things.  

There's a chance we get lucky, this time.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

One of the big casualties of this in my mind is the CDC.  Prior to this episode I really held the CDC in the highest regard.  Earlier this winter, I believed they would meet the challenge, provide adequate testing, and lead in the response.  I was dismissive of the idea that individual hospitals would develop their own test, mainly because I didn't think its was necessary.  I trusted the CDC.  I was wrong.  They have failed us.  My own hospital (led by friends of mine) has developed its own independent test for C19.  

I don't think I was wrong about the CDC previously.  They were excellent, competent, and responsive.  I assume the failure is just the latest example of the intentional erosion of federal government competence courtesy of the GOP/Trump.  Pathetic and destructive.  

I don’t know how much is political and how much is systemic failure. 

but I do know my wife is scouring the web for information from people directly involved. She’s trying to figure out lessons learned so she can make better decisions

she sick of being told she’s over reacting and watching people not take it seriously. She wants to know what the people that are actually responsible for dealing with the people are seeing, and what to prep for

there is a very real chance healthcare workers are going to have to throw cdc guidance out the window and start making their own decisions about how to deal with this. That is not a very good position to be in so she’s trying to prepare for it if it happens 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Italy has single payer and it is a complete disaster, UK has single payer and they aren’t even going to try. 

But if you distribute a portion of your paycheck to me, I'd be able to survive the Corona virus because then I'd stock up on more toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and bottled water. 😜

deQgv1k.jpg

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Yeah, it would seriously be a big help if that was all it took, to at least blunt things.  

It’s essentially what South Korea and Singapore did. There were no government enforced mass quarantines like in Hubei and other parts of China. Just aggressive testing and extreme social distancing. 

People in general are much more disciplined in both of those countries so we probably can’t match their outcomes. But even if we can replicate 30% of it, it would make a huge difference.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Italy has single payer and it is a complete disaster, UK has single payer and they aren’t even going to try. 

Universal Health Care is the paying for it part so citizens dont have to worry or think about it, it wouldnt stop the spike by itself.  I'm assuming UBI is to account for the number of people that cant work remote.