Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

17 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

But if I try to push you off a cliff and fail, and then you stumble and fall of the cliff anyway.  Would you say it didn't matter I tried to push you off? 

I do think Trump is a horrible human and a horrible president.  But, I also think it matters if people are being misled about what is actually happening.  The way that Trump is constantly dishonest about things is one of the reasons he is a terrible person/president.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been posting in this thread the past few days, but I wanted to give you guys an update on how the situation is indirectly affecting me. 

Just gonna cut right to the chase: I had a nervous breakdown today. There was about an hour there when I wanted to kill myself. I haven't been sleeping much and I was rejected for a job that I was really counting on. I'm 29 years old, very educated and qualified, but I can't seem to land a teaching job. I was so proud of myself for going to that interview and I thought I did very well, but it just wasn't enough. No idea why. I couldn't handle that news today for myriad reasons. I feel like a loser because I put too much stock in the lack of money I make when I'm actually trying very hard and the news was such a hard blow to the gut that I lost it. I really need to sleep. 

My wife called off work so she could look after our daughter. I called the suicide hotline, texted with some friends, called another, called my parents. Everyone I could think of. They all told me that I was valuable, to keep trying, that they loved me and to get some sleep. I'm feeling better now. 

How does this relate to coronavirus?

I've been going into serious hypochondria mode lately, like many people. But at some point after the break I had, I realized that I hadn't been thinking about how my throat felt, whether or not I had been coughing, what my temperature was, etc. I stopped caring. I truly didn't care if I got coronavirus and died. The mind prioritizes challenges by importance and all of a sudden the background noise of my life dissipated. The moment I walked back into my apartment, there was a story about coronavirus on the TV and I cringed. I saw it completely differently. 

It's poison, all of it. I'm not saying that it's not important to be aware, that it isn't important to be hygienic for ourselves and others. But goodness ****ing gracious this constant onslaught of information is something to treat with as much respect as the virus itself. Just speaking for myself, this media cycle is like alcohol to an alcoholic and it wasn't until I went up to the ledge that I saw how much it needed to be removed from my life. 

Please, everyone, if you're feeling overwhelmed by the news, put your phones away for a while and decompress. If you can go outside for a while, do it. Spend time with loved ones and talk about nothing. Sleep. Don't do what I did to get to this point. What I learned from this horrible ****ing day is that coronavirus, while legitimately scary, is much scarier if I allow it to be a constant presence in my mind.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I may be confused, but the most recent factcheck article I linked seemed to say that the pandemic team that was fired,  was actually a temporary Ebola program that was designed by the Obama administration to end in 2019.  The people were not replaced, because the program was done.  But, I have no idea if I am understanding that correctly.

FWIW, I think it's important to understand what this team did and why not having them around is such a big deal. Remember post 9/11 when the after action reports said that there was too much information being siloed, and a lack of coordination between agencies? That's much of the reason DHS was created. This team functioned sort of like DHS in that regard, i.e. a coordinating office with the power to herd all the cats and the capability of having an ongoing view of the big picture both domestically and overseas. Moreover, it was within the WH and had the ear of the POTUS...or at least it did the last time we actually had one.🙄 It gave them a lot of power to get things done. What we have right now leading our response is the heads of HHS and Medicare fighting a turf war while trying to outdo each other confirming the Liar-in-Chief's narrative that this is no big deal. Now the latter part could still be the case if he'd kept the team together and just filled it with lackeys, but he didn't even bother to do that, and now the **** is trying to deny he even shut it down in the first place.

This is my understanding of their role and I could be off on some things, but that's the general gist of it. As someone alluded to earlier, there are a lot of smart, well-connected people on this board so someone else can probably explain it better and in more detail than me.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I do think Trump is a horrible human and a horrible president.  But, I also think it matters if people are being misled about what is actually happening.  The way that Trump is constantly dishonest about things is one of the reasons he is a terrible person/president.  

Its someone's fault that our country isn't prepared and Trump is President. 

Just roll with it. Its not like an alien death ray is taking us out. An epidemic is something we're supposed to be prepared for and the CDC has been warning us.

I mean prepared at a basic level btw, we don't even have enough surgical masks. We can't stockpile some cloth masks? People have basement's full of ****ing bbq sauce and ranch dressing in this country.  (they're probably not cloth, i just don't know)

Edited by Mooka
  • Like 1

Trump the baffoon.  His answer to this was a payroll tax.  He likely got rebuffed by House leadership and was forced into something else and is now acting like this was done at his direction.

So found out today my oldest daughter's school is closed for 3 weeks starting Monday.  They sent out a mass text that said although no one has been diagnosed with the virus and the actual health board has not recommended doing it, this is being done as a precautionary measure.  I am fortunate that my mom is usually always available to watch my kids while my wife and I are at work, however so many people don't have that option.  As I was leaving work today there was supposedly about to be a big meeting with leadership about how to address this and many other issues that are likely to arise over the next week or so due to the virus.  I know some suggestions are finding ways for more people to work remotely with company issued laptops, and shift around responsibilities for the people still coming to the office.   I'll find out more about this Monday.  The company I work for is big, they have the financial resources to accommodate employees in a time like this assuming it doesn't continue to snowball over the long term, but if this is a matter of a few weeks there is pretty much zero excuse to put this on the backs of the workers who are already being underpaid for the work they do there. 

Edited by NoCalMike

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Please, everyone, if you're feeling overwhelmed by the news, put your phones away for a while and decompress. If you can go outside for a while, do it. Spend time with loved ones and talk about nothing. Sleep. Don't do what I did to get to this point. What I learned from this horrible ****ing day is that coronavirus, while legitimately scary, is much scarier if I allow it to be a constant presence in my mind.

My wife asked me how long I am going to take to fix/update the TH before putting it on rent. I told her soon. I have been going there for the last couple of days and actually taking my time doing things and listening to music and staying unplugged. Didn't even listen to Trump today, matter of fact I forgot, and that was good. The oven doesn't come in until Monday. So i am going to milk it and keep myself busy. I get bored really easy and go nuts if I have to stay home all day and not do anything. 

Staying positive and happy also increases your immune system. So yeah it is really important to be happy and not be sad or become depressed. I always tell people: Smile if you want to live longer. :)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I haven't been posting in this thread the past few days, but I wanted to give you guys an update on how the situation is indirectly affecting me. 

[snip] sorry mods for quoting too much

Sorry man.  Hang in there.  i was only marginally employed and still living with my folks between graduating college at 22 and I was  29 before things turned around.  Turned 40 last year now make over 6 figures.  Granted around here alot of that goes to my landlord 🙂 

Edited by DCSaints_fan

Hard pivot on Fox News tonight. Per Hannity this thing is serious and he’s gone over everything Trump did that was essentially everything humanly possible to act against this and the fuhrer’s leadership has been unmatched 

now, we are going over H1N1 and surprise surprise Obama is back!

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bacon said:

sorry to hear this. Use ES for a release and if you need to start a thread to get it out and just have some people to talk to, go for it. Lot of people here with various backgrounds and perspectives and areas of expertise that are your friends, in as much as we can be 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bacon said:

This is an excellent point.  All the coronavirus news has been building and today it was becoming noticeably bothersome to me.  I have been looking forward to going away for the weekend to the country to celebrate the 50th anniversary of some friends.  Would have time away from everything out in the country, and time to just chill with some good old friends and decompress from all the news.  Then I get the notification this afternoon that my son's university is shutting down and I have to go pick him and his belongings.  So no decompression as planned.   Nevertheless, I have reset my mindset so that I will just spend six hours each way in the car just enjoying the scenery and listening to good tunes.

22 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Hang in there, Bacon. Try some laughter yoga. It helps me. Sounds ridiculous, but five minutes a day keeps my mood on point.

Yes.  I will be doing my Qigong before I leave to reset my body and mind.

Stay cool people.

• Like 2

Bacon dude, we’re here for you. Yesterday and Wednesday were definitely the reality check days. Better stuff is happening today and we’re gonna all get through it as best we can.

Walks are gonna be therapeutic for me, and I’m not gonna miss springtime even if my sports and classroom stuff is off the table.

Stay strong, ES!

• Like 3

Just let go. Control what you can control. I unfortunately have way too much experience with the dark hallway, but finally learned to control it. It's the worrying/doubt that always gets you in the end.

Just play the hand you're dealt, and try to make the most of it, enjoying the time with your loved ones. 

Just put one foot in front of the other and go from there

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Just gonna cut right to the chase: I had a nervous breakdown today.

You’re not alone. 

i has to take a break for a solid 24. And get some good sleep. 

it comes back quicker the next time. 

but you’re not alone. Deep breaths

• Like 3

(Ted Cruz' second exposure.)

Boy, for a disease that's no more dangerous than the flu, and which only a few dozen people in the US even have, Ted sure does seem to be around a lot of the tiny fraction who are infected.  

• Like 1