Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

how do y’all just know this stuff?

17 minutes ago, Skintime said:

Reading?

Two of my regulars are a married couple, both work for FEMA and have been deployed somewhere...they didn't say where they were going when they came in for "our last good lunch for a while". 

They're always in my thoughts, awesome peeps. 

• Like 4

Also I’d like to point out, buried in that weird speech by Trump, that includes some incorrect things, was a specific mention of removing regulations about what sort of hospital rooms are required for what kind of patients. 

im sure that won’t get any traction in the media. 

but you know what that sounds like to me?

it sounds like the information my wife received a week ago, that I shared earlier this week, about health care workers sharing their stories from italy, about they had to turn entire hospitals into icu buildings... has reached the administration, and enough of the right people, that they were able to convince trump it needs to be prepared for. And this is step 1 for that. 

When the people pushing the “it’s a hoax” view of things reach a point of accepting that... well, take it for whatever it’s worth to you. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I read a lot...

I did not mean it as an insult. Just a moment of fun. I don't agree with some of your views, but I know that you are well versed in reading and why you think in the manner that you do.

• Like 3

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pandemic-work/

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/democrats-misleading-coronavirus-claims/

I think Trump is a disaster, so don't take this as a defense of him.  But, I have not seen anything that confirms the repeated claims about cuts to the CDC contributing to the current situation.  Is there any possibility that this issue is actually "fake news"?

15 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I read a lot...

There’s a lot of people here that are really smart and have jobs that only really smart people get. We’ve got doctors, lawyers, people that are up the chain in federal agencies of all kinds, scientists that serve as Researchers for important projects private and public, etc etc etc

We’ve got a pretty diverse group of people on this board that can speak of all sorts of areas of life. But we specifically got a solid core of very smart people that share their time with us when they can. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Nerm said:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/03/false-claim-about-cdcs-global-anti-pandemic-work/

I think Trump is a disaster, so don't take this as a defense of him.  But, I have not seen anything that confirms the repeated claims about cuts to the CDC contributing to the current situation.  Is there any possibility that this issue is actually "fake news"?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/31/coronavirus-china-trump-united-states-public-health-emergency-response/

6 minutes ago, Nerm said:

no. 

and here’s the thing - when the cuts were found out about there were people very vocal about these specific cuts and this specific thing. 

The thing is no one can tell you how much better things can be. 

all we can say is that they’re worse because of those actions.

we will always question how much better it could have been without the cuts, and how much better than that it needs to be to have a somewhat idealist response. 

but there is no question that it hurt. That it was opposed. That the concerns were shrugged off. 

7 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think there are a few things that are getting somewhat mixed up.  CDC pandemic budget was ultimately saved by reauthorization from Congress.  Future CDC budget is still slated to be cut as of last week's testimony.  NSC's pandemic team was disbanded by Trump and never reformed.  

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, tshile said:

There’s a lot of people here that are really smart and have jobs that only really smart people get. We’ve got doctors, lawyers, people that are up the chain in federal agencies of all kinds, scientists that serve as Researchers for important projects private and public, etc etc etc

We’ve got a pretty diverse group of people on this board that can speak of all sorts of areas of life. But we specifically got a solid core of very smart people that share their time with us when they can. 

I so agree. It's amazing in the insanity of being longterm Redskins fans the collection of minds that contribute here.

I used to visit other political boards, but this is by far one of the best ones I've encountered. I enjoy the variety of discussions on different topics and have been blown away from the information posted here on the virus. This has been an incredible source of information during the crisis and has helped me make decisions for my family's health as much of the major news has not addressed this as thoroughly as here. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Didn't you know that Ferraris do not run on gas or need oil?

They are fueled by the tears of orphans and the sweat of poor people.

This is sadly both funny and true.

9 hours ago, Fergasun said:

The 2nd and 3rd order effects an economic shutdown will have are going to be huge... how many companies can pay employees to stay home?  Small businesses?  Most Americans were already on the edge.   What about flight attendants and those in the travel hospitality business?  

Perhaps some may say the stock market, "priced this in"... who can afford 2 months pay disruption?  

🤫 Take it easy dude. Calm down. The Grand Oligarch’s Party will make sure the “job creators’” fortunes are well cared for, so it’ll totally work out. Glad I could be of some comfort.

2 hours ago, Larry said:

. . . and which, according to all my nursing classes, has the highest per capita incidence of STDs in the US, . . . . 

Leisure World was no slouch in that department back when I lived in the DC “urrheah”. Dirty ole coots. I aspire to be just like them one day...minus the STI part.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Unless I am misunderstanding the article, it seems that the factcheck is saying that the claims being made in that article are incorrect, and based information from 2018 news reports that are not accurate.

It may be that none of the things Trump attempted to do, made much of a difference.

But if I try to push you off a cliff and fail, and then you stumble and fall of the cliff anyway.  Would you say it didn't matter I tried to push you off? 

At least I think, his words have power.  And back in February, he was writing the whole thing off and doing nothing.   Except for blocking travel to/from China, who he didn't like anyway.   

Edited by DCSaints_fan

8 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Unless I am misunderstanding the article, it seems that the factcheck is saying that the claims being made in that article are incorrect, and based information from 2018 news reports that are not accurate.

Then refer to the one from bearrock

25 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think there are a few things that are getting somewhat mixed up.  CDC pandemic budget was ultimately saved by reauthorization from Congress.  Future CDC budget is still slated to be cut as of last week's testimony.  NSC's pandemic team was disbanded by Trump and never reformed.  

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

I may be confused, but the most recent factcheck article I linked seemed to say that the pandemic team that was fired,  was actually a temporary Ebola program that was designed by the Obama administration to end in 2019.  The people were not replaced, because the program was done.  But, I have no idea if I am understanding that correctly.

1 hour ago, Nerm said:

I may be confused, but the most recent factcheck article I linked seemed to say that the pandemic team that was fired,  was actually a temporary Ebola program that was designed by the Obama administration to end in 2019.  The people were not replaced, because the program was done.  But, I have no idea if I am understanding that correctly.

Hmm....  I don't know whether the Ebola program was scheduled to end in 2019.  But regardless, it doesn't connect to me at least that end of the Ebola program would've meant the end of the NSC position.  Also, the position was eliminated in 2018, so I'm a little skeptical that it was a natural phase-out.

But even assuming all of the above to be true (again, I'm pretty doubtful about that), this is a quote from the second factcheck article you linked

But the lack of someone in the White House to coordinate the response to a widespread disease outbreak in the U.S. is something numerous experts and groups at the time had cautioned against.

In a November 2019 report, the Center for Strategic & International Studies recommended restoring the global health security position on the NSC as one of seven key changes to better protect the American public from global health threats.

So, even if the position was naturally supposed to be phased out, I don't think Trump can wash his hands of it.  

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 3