Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Mom gets her meds in the mail going to check on how many months she has, but even then, some she has to see the doctor again before she can get a refill : /

If she takes maintenance meds like I do and is in the same general state of health for several months or so, maybe a phone call with her doctor to discuss her health can be done, then the doctor can call in the prescription. I have an appointment on 4/7 and am considering this instead of going in. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Just judging by the horrible response by Trump so far, I've got an eerie feeling this is going to be some historic catastrophic outbreak unlike anything we've ever seen before.

Social distancing might prevent that from happening. We started social distancing faster than the Italians. We don’t know when we start getting accurate data on spread but it’s possible that we limited spread somewhat by acting fast on shutting down public gatherings in areas experiencing outbreaks.

2 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Social distancing might prevent that from happening. We started social distancing faster than the Italians. We don’t know when we start getting accurate data on spread but it’s possible that we limited spread somewhat by acting fast on shutting down public gatherings in areas experiencing outbreaks.

This is still the 1st wave. Social distancing is great, but we're not going to do it for a year + while a vaccine is worked on.

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I would think it's going to be at least a month before we have a feel for current spread.  Simply because our current testing is so pathetic that it's useless.  

Even when we get good testing (which I still don't think we've started, yet), there's no "before" number to compare it against.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is still the 1st wave. Social distancing is great, but we're not going to do it for a year + while a vaccine is worked on.

I can’t say this confidently but I believe the second wave won’t be so bad this time around. We are entering the first wave with infrastructure in shambles. By the second wave, we will have preliminary data on best courses of treatment or even FDA approved anti-virals and testing kits should be far more accessible. We can also mobilize the flu vaccine a lot better to at least bring down the flu case load so hospitals are less burdened. This might be putting more faith in the bozos in charge than is warranted, but as long as they prepare in advance for the second wave, it should ideally be managed better.  

Just now, No Excuses said:

I can’t say this confidently but I believe the second wave won’t be so bad this time around. We are entering the first wave with infrastructure in shambles. By the second wave, we will have preliminary data on best courses of treatment or even FDA approved anti-virals and testing kits should be far more accessible. We can also mobilize the flu vaccine a lot better to at least bring down the flu case load so hospitals are less burdened. This might be putting more faith in the bozos in charge than is warranted, but as long as they prepare in advance for the second wave, it should ideally be managed better.  

This is the industry I work in. With testing and being able to get those people home or to the hospital will help. But with this virus, you're spreading it for days before feeling sick. Also, we are at least a year from a vaccine. So, this is going to recycle at least one more time if not more.

• Like 1

Italy has 260+ deaths only today.  Based on the number of cases and total deaths, they have a death rate of 7%.  

Italy is the oldest country in Europe. I read that 23% of the population is over 65.

We need to do everything possible here.  We don't know the exact death rate.  What number should we believe, South Korea or Italy? South Korea has death rate of 0.7%.  Here we need to take into account the sensitivity of the test used.  For example, if a PCR test is 95% sensitive, 5 out of 100 will be false positive.

So one has to wonder if South Korea has a lot of false positives because they tested whoever wants to get tested. This would decrease the death rate.

Edited by redskins59

20 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

This is the industry I work in. With testing and being able to get those people home or to the hospital will help. But with this virus, you're spreading it for days before feeling sick. Also, we are at least a year from a vaccine. So, this is going to recycle at least one more time if not more.

Also, people need to be aware that this virus has shown to still be contagious even 13 or so days after recovering from it.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-spread-after-recovery.html

A small study out of China suggests that the new coronavirus can persist in the body for at least two weeks after symptoms of the disease clear up. 

This sort of persistence isn't unheard of among viruses, experts told Live Science, and thankfully, the patients are most likely not very contagious in the post-symptom period. The findings may even be good news, said Krys Johnson, an epidemiologist at Temple University's College of Public Health. The viruses that tend to hang around in people's systems also tend to be the viruses that the body develops a strong immune response against. 

"If the virus is staying in people's systems, then they may not be able to be reinfected," Johnson told Live Science. 

The new study, published in the journal JAMA on Thursday (Feb. 27), followed four medical professionals ages 30 to 36 years old who developed COVID-19 (the disease caused by the new coronavirus) and were treated at Wuhan University's Zhongnan Hospital in China between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15. All of the individuals recovered, and only one was hospitalized during the illness. The patients were treated with oseltamivir, better known under the brand name of Tamiflu, an antiviral drug. 

The patients were considered recovered after their symptoms resolved and after they tested negative for COVID-19 twice (on two consecutive days). After recovery, the patients were asked to quarantine themselves at home for five days. They continued to undergo throat swabs for the coronavirus after five days for up to 13 days post-recovery.  

The results showed that every test between Day 5 and Day 13 was positive for the virus. 

"These findings suggest that at least a proportion of recovered patients still may be virus carriers," the researchers wrote.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

South Korea effectively blunted the peak and slowed spread with aggressive testing/tracking/isolation and were able to provide nearly all their affected patients with maximal health care.  Italy's peak vastly outpaced their health care capacity and many patients with treatable symptoms are dying.  This is exactly why aggressive control measures to slow the spread are so critical. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Social distancing would be nice, but there are still plenty of dolts out there that are acting like this no big deal.

People, no matter where they're from or what party they vote for, are pretty dumb.  AIDS has killed around 33 million people, how many people still have sex without using protection?  How many people still smoke cigarettes despite warnings on the packages and the common knowledge that it can kill you over time?  How many people eat like **** and don't exercise?  A lot of people do things without their best intentions in mind no matter how much information smacks them in the face, repeatedly.  Maybe it's being intentionally obtuse, maybe it's the idea of "that can't happen to me," who knows.

So while some people are smart and are practicing this already, plenty others aren't.  Maybe it'll help flatten the curve, I certainly hope so.  I'm not thrilled about it but I've gotta go out and get a few more supplies and then after tomorrow I'm pretty much staying in as best as I can.  Might go to the gym in the apartment complex here, but that's about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

If she takes maintenance meds like I do and is in the same general state of health for several months or so, maybe a phone call with her doctor to discuss her health can be done, then the doctor can call in the prescription. I have an appointment on 4/7 and am considering this instead of going in. 

yeah most will do so, mine usually does if i have the pharmacy request it.   

there is also teledoc and other online options

Jus got the email from the director, for our protection, if we can work remote we are allowed to work remote. 

Not mandatory yet, and still working out for folks that in some cases cant work remote. I'm already on my telework day today. So home today.

Its indefinite, I dont know the next time I'll be in the office, dont know next time I will see my coworkers.

Edited by Renegade7

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@bcl05

Do you have any thoughts on the concern of taking elderberry while having the Coronavirus and the possibility of triggering an overactive immune response and cytokine storm?

There is no data that I'm aware of that addresses that question.  I generally am pretty skeptical that elderberry (or similar products) have any real benefit.  The data about flu is pretty sketchy.  

I wouldn't recommend taking elderberry, but I don't have any reason to think it would be dangerous.  Just wash your hands, please.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I ran the White House pandemic office. Trump closed it.

Beth Cameron is vice president for global biological policy and programs at the Nuclear Threat Initiative. She previously served as the senior director for global health security and biodefense on the White House National Security Council.

When President Trump took office in 2017, the White House’s National Security Council Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense survived the transition intact. Its mission was the same as when I was asked to lead the office, established after the Ebola epidemic of 2014: to do everything possible within the vast powers and resources of the U.S. government to prepare for the next disease outbreak and prevent it from becoming an epidemic or pandemic.

One year later, I was mystified when the White House dissolved the office, leaving the country less prepared for pandemics like covid-19.

The U.S. government’s slow and inadequate response to the new coronavirus underscores the need for organized, accountable leadership to prepare for and respond to pandemic threats.

In a health security crisis, speed is essential. When this new coronavirus emerged, there was no clear White House-led structure to oversee our response, and we lost valuable time. Yes, we have capable and committed global and national disease-prevention and management organizations, as well as state and local health departments, all working overtime now. But even in prepared cities like Seattle, health systems are struggling to test patients and keep pace with growing caseloads. The specter of rapid community transmission and exponential growth is real and daunting. The job of a White House pandemics office would have been to get ahead: to accelerate the response, empower experts, anticipate failures, and act quickly and transparently to solve problems.

It’s impossible to assess the full impact of the 2018 decision to disband the White House office responsible for this work. Biological experts do remain in the White House and in our government. But it is clear that eliminating the office has contributed to the federal government’s sluggish domestic response. What’s especially concerning about the absence of this office today is that it was originally set up because a previous epidemic made the need for it quite clear.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/nsc-pandemic-office-trump-closed/2020/03/13/a70de09c-6491-11ea-acca-80c22bbee96f_story.html

• Sad 1