Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

28 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

South Korea has tested a little more than 550k while we have tested over 3 million people.  They have tested around 10k/mil and is 8,5k/mill.

i agree more testing is needed, especially antibody tests but I don’t think the US testing has been worse than south Korea’s. They have a lot less people and geography to cover.

China is a better comparison but you can’t trust their numbers. The draconian measures as an objection to comparing our result to theirs don’t really hold up on since most Americans were willing to freely follow CDC guidance, as soon as they were told what to do. 

South Korea's testing has been light years more effective than ours. Let's start with about 80% of their testing was done 6 to 8 weeks ago so they were able to quarantine the right areas to create actual containment. Something we have yet to do and are now too late for. At one point they were testing 20,000/day and had drive up testing with immediate results. We are no where near that level of testing now almost 2 months later! Pure numbers do not tell anything close to the full story. Yes, they have a smaller areas to cover but also have vastly less resources yet have thoroughly outperformed us. 

At ever step South Korea has made us look like the 3rd world country we are about now. We used to be the leader in these things. Now sadly we are not even good followers. We are still mostly flailing about without a sure path. Is it better than it was in March? Yes. But that's not setting the bar very high. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

The reality is that the average person likely cannot expect to get a vaccine this year, no matter what anyone is saying right now. If a vaccine is "ready" by October, that does not account for manufacturing and shipping time. I think January is optimistic but not baseless and would still make this one of the fastest-developed vaccines in history.

The 18 month timetable we were given 2 months ago is sounding increasingly conservative and out of touch with the current situation. We're very fortunate that the development of vaccines for previous coronavirus-based illnesses like SARS and MERS could expedite the process significantly because of their shared mechanisms.

Moderna's vaccine coming out of Texas is actually based on the MERS vaccine they developed and is already being tested on humans. If that one proves viable, it could be ready before the Oxford vaccine. What it's availability would be, I have no idea. Sarah Gilbert and her team at Oxford are very respected and have developed flu vaccines in the past, so I know they have the connections to get a COVID-19 vaccine out in record time.

Bacon, this is what Bill Gates was saying when he advocated the federal government underwrite loans for pharmaceutical companies to start building factories to produce any vaccine.  He pointed out most companies wouldn't want to build plants that might not have what is needed for the production of the vaccine.  He said if the government really wants to get things back to good as quickly as possible, they would start looking to speed up the production of any newly found vaccine.  He was spot on.  It's not enough to discover a vaccine,  We have to produce it in the necessary quantities when the WHOLE WORLD wants it yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought it would be some type of bipartisan good government council.  Opps!!

Kudlow, Lighthizer, a hardline right winger, the President's kids, and 2 Republican businessmen.  I really wish I knew what made Mnuchin and Ross qualified to serve us. 

Lighthizer actually has some govt experience... so does Kudlow (even though I just know him from CNBC).  

We were doing relatively well under Trump... his government is so inept they can't even implement their own dumb policies (its all McConnel for judges).  Unfortunately these stooges are the last people you want in power during a real global crisis. 

Be prepared for unsympathetic "its only in New York" garbage from this group.  

• Like 1

It looks like it's nearly official that I'll be getting paid for the time off right now because I am unable to go into my workplace and the CARES act is going to cover it.  So instead of them paying me to work from home, they are paying me to play video games, watch Netflix, and work on home projects.

Your tax dollars hard at work guys!

But I do wonder if due to all this "country reopening" talk if that means they are going to get the building back opened up, although being a contractor, it's a bit different than being civilian.  I think they are still going into the office at limited capacity.

10 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

California's GDP alone ranks 5th...in the world, just slightly behind Germany. The US can't afford to move forward without them.

how much of their GDP is operating under essential services?