Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

What are the rules and enforcement mechanisms for VA’s shelter in place? My mother in law watches our kids at our home during the day. She’s adopted the same strict cautious approach toward being in public places that we have (otherwise we would have told her to stay home by now). Is she still allowed to come to our house to watch our kids while we work? 

edit- per below, seems like we’re ok 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Here's the text of Northam's order.

Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

a. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;

b. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement, or emergency services;

c. Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;

d. Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation, or child care;

e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;

f. Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;

g. Traveling to and from an educational institution;

h. Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services; and

i. Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-55-Temporary-Stay-at-Home-Order-Due-to-Novel-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).pdf

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, kfrankie said:

In case anyone is wondering, the rate of increase in reported infections in the United States has now gone down for four straight days.

Infections           New Infect.       Increase

image.png

Now, many of you will look at these figures and say that its only been four days, that the total number of new infections has continued to rise, that death rate is what we should be watching, etc.  However, consider that there is more testing occurring now that there was in the preceding time period, so the expectation is that you should find more cases.  If the rate of increase continues to drop over the next three days, perhaps we have a trend.

Where's that graph coming from?  

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

What are the rules and enforcement mechanisms for VA’s shelter in place? My mother in law watches our kids at our home during the day. She’s adopted the same strict cautious approach toward being in public places that we have (otherwise we would have told her to stay home by now). Is she still allowed to come to our house to watch our kids while we work? 

I haven't seen anything that deals with enforcement. Additionally, there are so many caveats and valid reasons for allowing people to leave their homes that I think even if they pulled over every car, someone could "get away" with it pretty easily. 

I could simply say that I'm running to the grocery store or visiting my elderly parents to check on them. 

8 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Good news if that represents reality. But I know people with symptoms who have been refused tests because of lack of capacity.

If people don't get tests and are told to go home then the useful metric is the number of hospital admissions, ICU beds filled or deaths.

I think its fair to assume that an individual showing symptoms had a better chance of receiving a test over the last four days than you had over the four days prior to that.   If deaths is the metric, I also assume that it takes at least a week or two for someone to die after they are showing symptoms, so what we're seeing in the death figures are individuals that were diagnosed in the middle of the month.  We don't know what the prognosis is for those being diagnosed now, perhaps it will be different.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Moved those goalposts out of the stadium, over the parking lot and down a couple exits off 495 from Fed Ex.  Sheesh.

No kidding. And you know that now Hannity, Limbaugh, Carlson, Ingraham, and Fox & Friends will immediately begin spewing the same bull****.

"I mean, when you think about it, 100,000 out of 327 million is a really small percentage!"

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Here's the text of Northam's order.

Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

a. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;

b. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement, or emergency services;

c. Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;

d. Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation, or child care;

e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;

f. Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;

g. Traveling to and from an educational institution;

h. Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services; and

i. Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency.

https://www.governor.virginia.gov/media/governorvirginiagov/executive-actions/EO-55-Temporary-Stay-at-Home-Order-Due-to-Novel-Coronavirus-(COVID-19).pdf

Well, then no change for me.  I'll still be out walking dogs, and I expect, like today, to see lots of people outside walking, jogging and biking.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, China said:

Well, then no change for me.  I'll still be out walking dogs, and I expect, like today, to see lots of people outside walking, jogging and biking.

Ditto. The only places I've gone are outside to play with the kids, jogging, or in the car to my fiance's house. I'm working from home and have a stockpile of food/toilet paper/water!

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Moved those goalposts out of the stadium, over the parking lot and down a couple exits off 495 from Fed Ex.  Sheesh.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

No kidding. And you know that now Hannity, Limbaugh, Carlson, Ingraham, and Fox & Friends will immediately begin spewing the same bull****.

"I mean, when you think about it, 100,000 out of 327 million is a really small percentage!"

Zinc, tho.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I haven't seen anything that deals with enforcement. Additionally, there are so many caveats and valid reasons for allowing people to leave their homes that I think even if they pulled over every car, someone could "get away" with it pretty easily. 

I could simply say that I'm running to the grocery store or visiting my elderly parents to check on them. 

They could always ask were you live and give you a hard time if you are many miles from home and claim to be going to a local food store. My relatives in Europe have distance guidelines. For some it's a few miles. For others it's ten.

It seems like the only significant change in Northam's declaration might be to ask that if you go outside it is for an active purpose. Not hanging out at the beach or in a park.

Fishing and exercising on beaches is explicitly identified in the statement as being allowed. But beaches are closed for other purposes.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

They could always ask were you live and give you a hard time if you are many miles from home and claim to be going to a local food store. My relatives in Europe have distance guidelines. For some it's a few miles. For others it's ten.

It seems like the only significant change in Northam's declaration might be to ask that if you go outside it is for an active purpose. Not hanging out at the beach or in a park.

Fishing and exercising on beaches is explicitly identified in the statement as being allowed. But beaches are closed for other purposes.

Oh, I think there is plenty that they could do to make enforcement easier...they just haven't yet. They can't pull someone over tonight and cite him or her for anything if those distance guidelines don't currently exist. 

Im surprised that even the most conservative models I’ve seen show the US having 80k dead as the most likely outcome....

Italy is about two weeks ahead of us and they don’t even have 16k dead... 

also, I think the percentages of tests going down each day isn’t important... around 20k positive each day probably corresponds to our testing capacity. 20k as a percentage of 100k is more than 20k as a percentage of 120k..

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Im surprised that even the most conservative models I’ve seen show the US having 80k dead as the most likely outcome....

Italy is about two weeks ahead of us and they don’t even have 16k dead... 

We have over 5x their population and large quantities of stupid people who won’t listen to what smart people tell them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

been a ginormous firesign theatre fan since they came out

and i was thinking these last few years to the current pande-monium has been like living the entirety of every firesign theatre album

perhaps mostly "i think we're all bozos on this bus"

• Thanks 1

My wife works at a large animal hospital in Nova.  She texted me today to tell me that someone in a different department tested positive for Covid.  Several workers are also taking a CDC suggested break to monitor for symptoms.  She said that everyone who is involved is feeling well.  She doesn't know the identity of the person who's contracted it.

So yeah, she's a bit scared about it.

• Sad 1