Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I'll be honest, I don't like the craziness some people are exhibiting when it comes to mass panic and other things of that nature,  but as it pertains to my area, I think people arent concerned enough

At my gym people are still being dirty af, not wiping down equipment, sweating all over it and getting up and walking away, taking a #1 or 2 and not washing their hands, etc.

I found that absolutely stunning (and have gone back to working out at home).

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

No lie when I woke up and my throat was sore I hoped to God it was strep. I get strep almost every year and not once in my life have I ever wanted it. 

Remembering a line from Frasier.  Bulldog Briscoe, the brash, pimbo-izing, sportscaster at the radio station, is explaining that he fires all the people who work for him every year, right before christmas, because it keeps them hungly for his business.  

"And doctors?  They're the worst!  You get the same disease 3-4 times, they start acting like it's your fault!"  

13 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I have 4 days planned in Vegas for the draft. I seriously doubt they keep it as is. I’m pretty bummed. I planned it almost a year in advance. Got reservations at my favorite restaurants and a table at Omnia with Steve Aoki spinning night 1 of the draft.  I hope somehow it gets better and doesn’t cancel.

Did I miss some big news or something?  What would make you think this?

49 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'll be honest, I don't like the craziness some people are exhibiting when it comes to mass panic and other things of that nature,  but as it pertains to my area, I think people arent concerned enough

At my gym people are still being dirty af, not wiping down equipment, sweating all over it and getting up and walking away, taking a #1 or 2 and not washing their hands, etc.

I found that absolutely stunning (and have gone back to working out at home).

that’s sort of a microcosm of our current society

people will freak out on the internet and call out sick at work or call big meetings at work to hash out a plan

but then don’t wash their hands regularly or cover their mouth when they cough

good, basic hygiene is the best way to fight viruses and bacteria infections. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I bet. Im so worried about having kids because of **** like this. I know its irrational. 

No lie when I woke up and my throat was sore I hoped to God it was strep. I get strep almost every year and not once in my life have I ever wanted it. 

This new Covid 19 is not really dangerous to kids. The grand total of children under 10 that have died from it (many have had it including a new born) is 0. 

2d check the symptoms of what ever you have.  I've been sick all this week with all the symptoms plus 1.  Wasn't worried that I have it because I have had an extremely runny nose. Covid 19 cases seem to be very telling in that they don't have runny noses. 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Did I miss some big news or something?  What would make you think this?

They cancelled the Arnold fitness festival in Ohio this weekend. The situation looks to be getting worse. They expect 1.5 million for the draft. I don't see how between now and end of April it's not adjusted. I'm hoping I'm wrong but seems likely to me.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

They expect 1.5 million for the draft.

Seriously?  There's that many people willing to spend that much time and money just so they can be in the same town as a once-every-4-hours press release?  

I'm amazed they can get 1.5 million viewers.  

Edited by Larry

Just now, Larry said:

Seriously?  There's that many people willing to spend that much time and money just so they can be in the same town as a once-every-4-hours press release?  

They expect it to be the biggest event in Vegas history. They are completely shutting down the strip to car traffic for 3 days. They got a million in Nashville last year. The estimate before this virus was 1.5 million.

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

They expect it to be the biggest event in Vegas history. They are completely shutting down the strip to car traffic for 3 days. They got a million in Nashville last year. The estimate before this virus was 1.5 million.

That sounds ****ing awful.

Have fun :)

Edited by purbeast
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, purbeast said:

That sounds ****ing awful.

Have fun :)

I agree.  I'll happily watch the draft on TV, but 1.5mil in Vegas?  I'd rather be in Wuhan.  At least the streets aren't crowded...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Thanks 1

My son and I have tickets and hotel reservations for Wrestlemania in Tampa the weekend of April 5. For anyone unfamiliar with Wrestlemania, that event always attracts thousands of fans from overseas. Not ideal given the current situation. I'm almost expecting the whole event to be cancelled. There's already been a couple of cases reported just outside the Tampa area and we still have more than a month for more to spread.

So.... FDA is not involved in this testing?  I am genuinely curious what this means. 

I've dealt with the FDA fairly regularly with experimental drugs, etc.  My experience is that their normal approach/pace with approval/evaluation for novel products is extremely thorough and can be very time consuming.  BUT.  When they have an emergent situation, even if it just applies to a few patients, they can turn around approvals very quickly.  

I wonder what the exclusion of the FDA means.  I hope it doesn't mean that quality control or confidence in the test is being compromised (though that's what I suspect).  If they are pushing out tests without knowing if they work or that they are consistent with one another, the FDA would certainly not be on board...

I have no inside knowledge of this particular situation - only speculating here.  I hope to learn more.  

I'm sorry, I'm just at a ****ing loss.  Did other countries and the WHO which apparently has a functioning testing kit (that is detecting hundreds of new cases out of thousands of tests everyday in South Korea) put an embargo on sharing that technology with the United States?  Is that why we are still ****ing around trying to ramp up testing capacity in this country?  What the hell is going on around here?

2 hours ago, gbear said:

I hope that is either 2,500 kits to be used as templates for more kits to be created or a data slide (as in it is really 2,500,000).

FWIR each kit allows 700 tests , so a million and a half or so

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I'm sorry, I'm just at a ****ing loss.  Did other countries and the WHO which apparently has a functioning testing kit (that is detecting hundreds of new cases out of thousands of tests everyday in South Korea) put an embargo on sharing that technology with the United States?  Is that why we are still ****ing around trying to ramp up testing capacity in this country?  What the hell is going on around here?

My understanding is a reagent used in the original test kits had some quality control issues resulting in inconclusive results for some,but not all kits.

identifying and correcting the issue was the delay, and the govt limiting other options used elsewhere.

letting perfect be the enemy of the good is common in bureaucracy.

• Thanks 1