Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Didn't one of the Dem congresscritters meet with the Iranian official that died?

maybe they are all infected now .

in other news airlines are being required to provide contact info for passengers, the govt asserts they are not being as cooperative as possible.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/899552/major-airlines-officials-reportedly-odds-over-ways-track-passengers-coronavirus

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Solid article about social media giants , like facebook, taking stand on coronavirus misinformation.

Which begs the question, why doesnt facebook take this stand on other dangerous forms of misinformation?  Posting BS about global pandemics isnt free speech, Zuckerberg?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/02/28/facebook-twitter-amazon-misinformation-coronavirus/

I would say no, it isn't free speech as it is akin to shouting fire in a crowded theater.

United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919). It specifically rules on the limitation of freedom of speech (first amendment): The original ruling is this: The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man in falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic.

So deliberately spreading false information that may cause a panic is not protected speech.

• Like 1

Emergency rate cut?

that seems like a solution provided by a person that doesn’t understand the problem

are people supposed to be more likely to go out in public because of a .5 rate cut? Are health departments going to not sure down schools and daycares because of a rate cut? 

what part of the underlying panic is addressed by cutting rates?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

Emergency rate cut?

that seems like a solution provided by a person that doesn’t understand the problem

are people supposed to be more likely to go out in public because of a .5 rate cut? Are health departments going to not sure down schools and daycares because of a rate cut? 

what part of the underlying panic is addressed by cutting rates?

The administration is treating it as PR crisis rather than a health crisis. A PR crisis for the administration is measured by declining DJI price.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

An investment rate cut does not fix the supply chain issues that are the biggest threat to the economy.  

while that’s a big issue, so is a state health department shutting down schools and daycares for weeks. 

im watching people scramble to make sure working remotely is feasible for their staff but that doesn’t do anything if they’re stuck at home with young kids that can’t go to school/daycare 

everything will grind to a halt. 

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Does she WANT to contract the virus?  A cruise seems like a sure-fire way.

That is my thought as well, maybe the wife will go........I'll stay at home and drink

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Does she WANT to contract the virus?  A cruise seems like a sure-fire way.

Most of my immediate family has a cruise planned for may. Im trying to talk them out of it. They seem to think since its not off the coast of Japan they will be fine. 

I have a friend that works at NIH in this area just sent him a message and asked if this was BS.

His response. 

Trump is at nih whole campus is locked down  Having a round table meeting about Coronavirus . Pretty sure no one is being quarantined. He said no idea about an agency shutting down a building.  

He says people are hugely overreacting.  He said he's more worried about the regular flu at this point.  

Edited by HOF44
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Most of my immediate family has a cruise planned for may. Im trying to talk them out of it. They seem to think since its not off the coast of Japan they will be fine. 

My sister has a vacation planned to Costa Rica. Been begging her not to go.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My sister has a vacation planned to Costa Rica. Been begging her not to go.

Hoping you can talk some sense into her.  

Told my lady friend that I wanted to take a vacation somewhere out of the country in the first week of November (I'm sure you can figure out the timing here).  Preferably somewhere remote, no access to cell phones or anything.  We were going to book it in the next month or so but that's not going to happen now.

Virus to dent Foxconn's consumer electronics revenue in first-quarter

Foxconn, however, sought to allay investor concerns about the virus’ impact, saying it expects to resume normal production in China, its top manufacturing base, by the end of the March.

The company’s “long-term cooperation” with suppliers will also help provide a cushion against the rise in prices of some components, Chairman Liu said.