Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2020 Free Agency Thread /Tracker... Kendall Fuller,OG Schweitzer, KP Louis, Thomas Davis, McKissic, TE Logan Thomas, OT Lucas, QB Kyle Allen (trd 5th Rd pick), RB P. Barber, LB Davis, Ronald Darby

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

so you want to pay Foles 15mil and Alex Smith 20mil ?

We’re paying Alex 20 anyways and there’s no way of knowing if he’ll be able to play this upcoming year. That’s a sunk cost regardless and we still need a backup QB. Foles is on a relatively short term deal and with Haskins on a 5 year rookie contract we can afford to take that kind of hit. Of course I would only do it if we got a 2nd round pick ala Osweiler.

19 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

The way I interpret it, we could cut him after 2020 season with no cap hit.  Only 2019 and 2020 salaries were guaranteed, and Jax takes the hit from the signing bonus when they trade him.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/nick-foles-9898/

As of right now, Jax has 22 mil in cap room.  That's not much if you want to upgrade your roster.  So they might be motivated to find someone to take the 15 mil in guaranteed salary off their hands.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

I would absolutely take foles and a 2nd day pick in a trade package, mostly for the draft pick.  Let foles be our veteran backup we need for 2020.  Yes he's overpaid, but to secure a second day pick in a deep draft like this, go for it.  If we want to part ways after 2020, we can do so with no hit.  Make it happen Ron!!

If that was the case then Jags wouldn’t trade him. They only care about cap hit and right now it’s ugly for a backup QB. 

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If that was the case then Jags wouldn’t trade him. They only care about cap hit and right now it’s ugly for a backup QB. 

The 2020 salary is guaranteed, and is to be taken on by the team that trades for him.  The current cap hit of a little over 22 mil would lessen to a dead cap hit of 18.75 mil, the acceleration of 3 prorated portions of signing bonus.  Savings of 3.25, which isn't much, but maybe they are motivated to get the deal off their books for 2021 and beyond.  I don't see them offering a 2nd day pick to do it, but if they did, skins should pounce.

If I am interpreting this wrong, someone please correct my mistake.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

so you want to pay Foles 15mil and Alex Smith 20mil ?

Yep. Because it’s not my money and both are off the books in 2021. If the cap is going to be $240 next year you can easily structure contracts this year to spread out a bit to deal with the $15m from Foles. Not to mention you’d be buying a 2nd round pick which could fill a high value hole for a low contract amount. 

Ditto for Trent. And you could essentially swap Trents cap hit for Foles and possibly add two 2nd round picks? That’s a tough one to pass on especially since we are in the market for a backup QB anyway. 

also where did the 2nd rounder for Foles come from. Is that legit ??

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I don't think so, I'm assuming someone speculated Jax would give up a 2nd rounder to unload the contract, similar to the David Johnson trade rumor.

Just now, KillBill26 said:

I don't think so, I'm assuming someone speculated Jax would give up a 2nd rounder to unload the contract, similar to the David Johnson trade rumor.

Bummer. Busy day at work today so didn’t know if I missed something. Jax would have to be pretty desperate to trade Foles AND picks. 

26 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep. Because it’s not my money and both are off the books in 2021. If the cap is going to be $240 next year you can easily structure contracts this year to spread out a bit to deal with the $15m from Foles. Not to mention you’d be buying a 2nd round pick which could fill a high value hole for a low contract amount. 

Ditto for Trent. And you could essentially swap Trents cap hit for Foles and possibly add two 2nd round picks? That’s a tough one to pass on especially since we are in the market for a backup QB anyway. 

No, I'll take the blame. I floated a hypothetical theory out there when word got out Jax wanted to trade Foles. There is absolutely ZERO out there regarding this being true or not. I literally made it up to get opinions.

10 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Yep. Because it’s not my money and both are off the books in 2021. If the cap is going to be $240 next year you can easily structure contracts this year to spread out a bit to deal with the $15m from Foles. 

If that was the thought process, I’d sooner give my top 5 free agent targets an additional 3mil bonus through the 2020 cap in order to secure their services over other teams.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Any guesses as to what compensation trai turner might command in a trade?

I wouldn't just think in terms of the trade itself, but his cost. I'm willing to bet he will want a raise fairly quickly. In the end, I'd rather pay Scherff than pay Turner and give up assets to acquire him unless, for some odd and twisted reason, we can acquire him for a low pick. 

Just now, KDawg said:

I wouldn't just think in terms of the trade itself, but his cost. I'm willing to bet he will want a raise fairly quickly. In the end, I'd rather pay Scherff than pay Turner and give up assets to acquire him unless, for some odd and twisted reason, we can acquire him for a low pick. 

Yeah I didn't really mean to replace scherff although I'd imagine that's probably what would happen. 

I just meant draft pick compensation. 

But that means Washington must replace two starting cornerbacks, but it's hard to imagine the Redskins spending big on two. There are differing opinions on where this market will go. A lot depends on how which cornerbacks get cut -- names like Minnesota's Xavier Rhodes for example -- which could potentially create a saturated market.

"It goes back to supply and demand," Halsell said.

Joel Corry, a former NFL agent and cap expert who writes on the topic for CBS Sports, anticipates Dallas Cowboys starter Byron Jones topping the market.

The Redskins are expected to pursue James Bradberry, who played for Rivera in Carolina and has expressed interest in a reunion. Corry said because Bradberry would essentially be replacing Norman, he might ask for the same money -- $15 million per year. And Rivera’s familiarity with him could make him more comfortable paying more for him, one league source said. Corry agreed.

"I don't know if anyone else values him at that level," Corry said.

"I could see those guys in the $12-14 [million] range, but I don't think anyone is resetting the market," Halsell said. "[It's] one of those situations where, 'If James doesn't want to take our $13 million, then perhaps Byron Jones will.'"

If Washington wants a less expensive corner, versatile former Redskin Kendall Fuller is available.

...One option stands out at tight end: Austin Hooper of the Atlanta Falcons. He has caught a combined 146 passes for 10 touchdowns over the past two seasons, and the Falcons have already said he'll hit free agency. He also doesn't have an injury history like Los Angeles Chargers tight end Hunter Henry (136 receptions in three seasons; multiple knee issues, including a torn ACL).

Corry predicts Henry will stay in Los Angeles, possibly on a franchise tag. But the market could change if the Green Bay Packers release Jimmy Graham.

More offense

There's a desire to add another quality starting receiver opposite Terry McLaurin. Amari Cooper would be the high end, but it's uncertain if the Redskins have interest as they might prefer to devote more finances at other spots. It's a thin group of free agents, so finding the player they want might be tough; the draft is deep at receiver and could yield quality players in the middle rounds.

They also need to add another healthy body at running back, where they have Adrian Peterson plus two others coming off knee injuries: Derrius Guice and Bryce Love. Their third-down back, Chris Thompson, is not expected to return, barring a change in thinking. That's why one league source predicted the Redskins would pursue Arizona's Kenyan Drake, a run and pass-catching threat.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/39639/will-redskins-use-their-cash-to-make-a-splash-in-free-agency

I'm all aboard the Amari Cooper/Kenyan Drake bandwagon.

As long as they aren't too costly. 

Tight end wise Jacob Hollister might be more intriguing than Hooper. Henry is getting tagged, apparently. 

Blake Jarwin is intriguing if he hits the open market.

I just don't see the tight end that we should go after.

Some highlights of Hale Hentges at Bama:

Just one game, but he looks the part.

I was pimping Jarwin a little earlier this offseason, he's flashed in Dallas big time over the years but just like with Martellus Bennett they let Witten's name demand targets. He's not a stud but imo he can start for less. 

I'd preder Cooper + Jarwin over Hooper + Robby Anderson, for instance. Big time. 

Redskins looking to bring back Jon Bostic

https://theathletic.com/1643891/2020/03/03/sources-washington-in-contract-talks-to-bring-back-linebacker-jon-bostic/

Washington took a flyer on free agent linebacker Jon Bostic last May, and the 28-year-old responded with a strong season. The team’s new staff, led by coach Ron Rivera, was quick to recognize Bostic’s importance early on.

Last week, during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, multiple sources told The Athletic that the two sides had begun preliminary conversations about re-signing the 28-year-old linebacker, and that those conversations are ongoing. Free agency starts on March 18, but teams trying to re-sign their own players may begin having those conversations with them beforehand.

Even though both Rivera and vice president of player personnel Kyle Smith told reporters at the combine, they like their younger core, if the team allowed Bostic to walk it would be left with several linebackers who haven’t played more than four seasons in the league. The team currently has Cole Holcomb, Shaun Dion Hamilton, Josh Harvey-Clemons, and recently signed former Carolina Panthers’ Jared Norris on the roster at that position.

Washington signed the veteran, who’d started 14 games for the Steelers in 2018, after its projected starting inside linebacker for 2019, Reuben Foster, tore his ACL and lateral and medial collateral ligaments on the third play of organized training activities in May. (Foster’s agent told the NFL Network in January that Foster had suffered nerve damage as well after the injury, and had just regained feeling in his left foot in January.) Bostic then enjoyed his best statistical season in the pros in 2019, on a 1-year, $895,000 deal, finishing tied for the second-most tackles on the team with 105.

https://www.espn.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/28821779/berry-20ish-things-learned-2020-nfl-combine

Berry: 20(ish) things I learned at the 2020 NFL combine

1a. It was also noted, more than once, by folks in both Carolina and Washington, that if Newton was somehow available, Ron Rivera absolutely loves Cam. Loves him.

4. There is no chance the Lions take Tua Tagovailoa in the draft, a source I highly trust told me. No chance.

6. I'm told that Dwayne Haskins has been in the building every single day during the offseason, working out, preparing and taking it very seriously. The Redskins believe he needs to work on getting the ball out quicker but that he can make all the throws. They like his pocket presence and overall expressed a lot of confidence in his potential. Things can change, of course, and if Newton becomes available, all bets are off, but if I had to place a bet today, I'd say the Redskins' starting QB this season will be Haskins and that they draft Chase Young at No. 2 overall.

13. The Redskins re-signed Adrian Peterson, and they have Derrius Guice coming back from injury. But one name that came up a lot as I spoke with various Redskins sources was Bryce Love, who was injured all last season. He's definitely a name for the end of your draft and for those in dynasty leagues.

14. I interviewed Rivera (and you'll see the full interview on the upcoming combine/free-agency episode of The Fantasy Show on ESPN+) and asked him about his running backs, mentioning that until he found Christian McCaffrey, he had always been the kind of coach who used multiple backs. He said his expectation in D.C. this season was more of the same. He likes multiple backs and expects all three guys (Guice, Peterson, Love) to have a role this season. It will be a RBBC in Washington to start the year.

10 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

1a. It was also noted, more than once, by folks in both Carolina and Washington, that if Newton was somehow available, Ron Rivera absolutely loves Cam. Loves him.

Yep I could see that. 

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Conservative estimates to fill some gaps....

All them signings apart from Sherff if franchised tagged will have a lower 2020 hit than there average cap figure per year. We could possibly sign Bradbury, Hooper and Flowers and there cap hit could be 20m for all 3 players this year. 

HTTR 

Archived